Time coherence of Nohr speakers?

brj

Time coherence of Nohr speakers?
« on: 14 Dec 2003, 09:55 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping that sometime in the coming year I'll be able to start assembling a respectable home audio system (with likely expansion into HT territory, but audio is the first consideration).  In the mean time, I've been learning as much as I can in order to narrow the field of products to audition and make informed purchase decisions.

Nohr seems to be one of the more "open" speaker vendors around.  Meadowlark Audio appears to be another such vendor.  To grossly oversimplify their respective philosophies, Nohr tends focus on "build[ing] loudspeakers without parallel surfaces" and a minimum number of drivers to achieve "purist sound" while while Meadowlark focuses on driver alignment and 1st order crossovers to achieve time coherent sound production.

I appreciate the fact that both companies openly focus on aspects of speaker design that are not as readily addressed by many other companies (at least not in speakers that mere mortals can afford).  So, to help round out my education, I thought I'd ask the Nohr community's thoughts on time coherence in speaker design and the methods used to achieve it.

Nohr's drum speakers have an angled front baffle, but I have seen nothing to indicate that this was calculated to align the drivers.  Nohr uses higher (usually 3rd?) order crossovers which Meadowlark avoids in the quest for time coherence.  On the flip side, Meadowlark relies on more traditional methods to address the problems Nohr solves with innovative cabinet shapes.

So... what do I take away from these different, but not necessarily competing, design philosophies?  Any constructive comments would be very much appreciated!

-Brian