Single driver vs. crossover-less multi-driver

davidross

Single driver vs. crossover-less multi-driver
« on: 6 Apr 2009, 06:08 am »
Has anyone critically compared any of the moderately priced single driver designs like those from Cain and Cain, Omega, Carolina Audio, Cardersound, Lowther, etc. with a fairly efficient (90+ db) 2-way, crossover-less design like the de Capo from Ref 3A? If so, is the presentation of the latter more like that of the single driver designs than of the multi-driver designs with a crossover?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Single driver vs. crossover-less multi-driver
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:42 am »
1st off the de Capo is not crossoverless... there is a single cap on the tweeter for an XO. Much like a FR with a super-tweeter but a lower XO.

dave

davidross

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2009, 12:27 pm »
Dave, I understand your point but at least the main driver is directly powered by the amplifier, right?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2009, 02:34 am »
Dave, I understand your point but at least the main driver is directly powered by the amplifier, right?

Yes. IMHO that is how the best 2-ways are done. It is quite common.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:48 pm »
One of the multi-driver designs I like is the VMPS 626.  Its single small ribbon mid-range runs from 166 - 10,000 Hz.  The cabinet is narrow, yet the bass is rated down to 37 Hz.  Bigger VMPS speakers use multiple ribbons (that lose coherence and vertical imaging) and most are wider (and have a "hi-fi" mid-bass exageration).

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2009, 05:21 pm »
I make this comparison almost every day.
My bedroom system has a pair of Parker Audio Model 95 MKII speakers which are floorstanders containing a pair of 5.25" drivers in a  MTM configuration with a high efficiency .75 inch tweeter assembly between.  The 95 MKII's signal path is as simple as it gets, fullrange low-mid section, and a single super high quality cap on the tweeter.  There is a single Hovland film and foil capacitor on the tweeter.  The version I have is low impedance to match the Decware Select's iow impedance output.  They are rated @ 95 dB efficiency BTW
Downstairs, the system has a pair of Omega Compact Hemps being driven by a Glow Audio Amp One (EL 84).  There is also an Adire Rava sub.   
The room volumes are  probably as big a contributor to the sound characteristics as the speaker/amp combination.  The downstairs system has an open, airy ambiance while the bedroom system being a smaller room is a more intimate sounding.
I have modded SqueezeBoxes in both locations which use the same server and  a common music library.  There is a somewhat different quality in each, not necessarily better or worse but different.