help me compare the Xmas Norh specials

davewe

« on: 14 Dec 2003, 09:47 pm »
I am still shopping for another pair of norhs to use as my mains in my HT. I have a 4.0 marble that's a great center and will probably use a pair of 3.0s for surrounds.

Anyway I love the look of the drums and prefer the look of wood (though the marble is great also). i see that norh has a Xmas special for the Classic 6.1 drms at $5oo, as well as the prism 5.1s for $400. The prisms are attractive as well, though they are veneer. One additional advantage is that I wouldn't need to but a set of stands.

I have hear a few negative comments about the Prisms. Any opinions about these 2 speakes vs. just getting a pair of Nork 4's.

Thanks for any inpu.

Dave

Johng316

« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2003, 04:07 am »
Dave,

I've heard and owned both drums and prisms.  I'd suggest drums across your front 3.  Get either the classic 6's or a pair of 4's.  Having matching 4's across the front is a wonderful combo.  I know you like the look of the woods, but the ceramics and marbles can be played at higher volumes cleaner, which is a good thing for HT.

I moved my wood 4's to the rear surround position, so I still have the woods in the system (which I also like the look of), but the SM in the front can be played much louder without cabinet resonance fuzzing it out.   8)

Let us know what you decide to do!  You're going to be very happy with the nOrh stuff.

John G