Your Favorite Recipes Thread.

SharkyRivethead

Your Favorite Recipes Thread.
« on: 4 Apr 2009, 06:38 pm »
 Do you have recipe you want to share?  :drool:  Something you came up with or an old school family recipe that is to die for. Well, if your not afraid and want to share it with the world here is your chance.

I noticed a thread for every recipe, but not one central location for everything. As this thread grows....if it does. I will make up sections for everyone to pull recipes from, using hide tags. You will be able to find everything in the Original Post.

I will post one of my favorites. It's a smoked turkey brine and glaze that I came up with for Thanksgiving.

First your brine:                                                                                                                                           
4 quarts of pineapple juice
2 Cups brown sugar
1-1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup light maple syrup
1-1/2 cups Kosher or coarse sea salt
6 cloves of garlic cut in half
4-6 large bay leaves
2 Tbl crushed red peppers
   Place all ingredients in a large nonreactive container. (Plastic works best) Mix with spoon till....well, mixed. Then place turkey in and brine for at least 1 hr per pound. More if you like, it won't hurt the turkey. I did mine for 24 hrs and it was a 12 lbs turkey. Also, best if turkey is completely submerged.

I use a Brinkman smoker. The temperature gauge at best is weak. Your ideal smoking temp is ideal. That's what it says. Put your turkey in a foil pan on the top rack. You will use the drippings later for gravy. Use the brine for your hydration pan. Alternate filling with brine then water, then brine, etc. You must keep your smoking temp @ ideal for 1 hr for every 2 lbs. This may vary per smoker. I used soaked hickory and apple wood chips, and constantly feed them into the fire.

Now for the glaze:
Clove powder
honey  (I have to say that I used a special honey from Austrelia, that came from a spacific flower. It had a unique flavor. But I'm sure it won't matter.)
cutie oranges
molasses.....ha,ha. I just said mole asses.
Butter
vanilla extract.
  This is the part that sucks. I wrote down the ingredients, but not how much I used. I always do it to taste. I would suggest 1 cup of honey,1/4 cup molasses, 1 cube of butter, 3 oranges squeezed and clove powder to taste. It's a very strong herb. You might have to crush some to get the powder. Lastly, 1 or 2 tsp of vanilla extract.
   Cook everything in a microwave. Just melt it all together and start basting the turkey 2 hrs before it is ready. It will have a wonderful brown crisp look to it. It will also be very aromatic. Don't for get to take your drippings and make a gravy out of it. It won't be your typical gravy. It will be a little on the sweet side. So, you may have to add some pepper and a little salt to off set this. As always to taste. I hope you all enjoy