Source and Prices for Field Coil Compression Drivers

macrojack

• Restricted
I'm not sure whether to post this here or in The Lab. Please move it if necessary.

I read all the time about the wonderfulness of Field Coil drivers and I believe what I read. However, one of the comments I see repeated is that these devices are expensive. How expensive?

Google turns up little info in English. Can anyone here shed light on this topic? Aside from Cogent (way too much money) everything I've seen is Japanese and priced according to the ambitions of the American importer.

Any guidance would be most welcome.

Mozart

Re: Source and Prices for Field Coil Compression Drivers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2009, 05:12 pm »

Field coil is just one characteristic in designing a driver. Other characteristics are at least if not more important:

motor strength, light cone, low qts,qes, inductance, high efficiency, spider , v.c.,construction quality,
 etc...all have an impact on the sound.

Just an example: the fact of removing the surround, will have an improvement in the sound far greater than having a field coil motor.

What driver size do you want? 5-6-7-8-12 inch ,are all possibilities. You should go to different co that makes field coil and ask

for a specefic model that would suit your requirements. A field coil will be practicle if you go open-baffle: you can increase the

voltage and increase the qts for better bass.

To give an example : the Fertin 20ex model 7= 2000euros a piece.

as for the ''regular model with a surround and higher qts=764euros a piece''. The Emspeaker LB12 field coil=920euros.

You have other co that makes field coil: Phy-Supravox-Shindo Latour-atelier rullit(never heard very much about these).