Beware Audiogon AVA "fetvalve" preamp sale?

dvb

« on: 13 Dec 2003, 08:59 pm »
The vendor does not say which model, but the label on the back says "Dynaco PAT-5"  Doesn't sound like it is a "fetvalve"

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1076526072&class&3&4&

dvb

I e-mailed the vendor
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2003, 05:00 am »
He says it's a fet valve in a PAT-5 chassis.  He still doesn't say what model.  I guess we just hope a prospective purchaser uses Frank's "vetting" service

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2003, 01:26 pm »
This unit does look legimitate to me.  It appears to be a Fet-Valve Pat-5 built by us in the early 1990s.  It has a perf cover we used on most of the tube based units and our jack set installed, and does have a phono section as the phono ground thumbnut was not used on units without phono.  It has a custom black faceplate we tooled for that application back then (before we had tooled our own chassis).

The appearance looks excellent so I would suspect it works just fine and the asking price of $700 is not out of line.

Note that we have not made a "hands on" evaluation of this unit, but it certainly does not look like a scam.

It can be upgraded to new Transcendence Seven "R" status for $999. Lots of work, have to redo the audio boards and the power supply, not much salvaged except the internal control and switch wiring.

Frank Van Alstine