Choice of amplifier with Omega Super 6 XRS

akis

Re: Choice of amplifier with Omega Super 6 XRS
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2009, 07:23 pm »
Hello to all !

-beware of bad english, please-

Awaiting for my new s6xrs, I' d like to comment on my experience to former models as s3xrs-s5xrs, compact hemp and s8xrs hemp, saying that Dared Audio was a simple, cheap and descent match. Dared MP 60 for dynamics, Dared VP 16 for juicy  6v6. Chinese but...save your money please.

As a new poster, I'd like to thank you all for the great posts, helping me build knowledge around Omega.It's just the second pair of speakers, I'm buying without audition during these 25 last years and I'm raising my hat to

MR Louis Chochos

that let me in !

Most of the times it's hard for an overseas customer to follow you lucky guys, but patience,  tolerate, ethics  and music, feeds us all at the same pattern.

Thanks again,

Akis

filetta

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2009, 04:35 pm »
Hello,

Thank you very much for all these responses and discussions among members on this subject.

As a result of personal research and your answers, I think the best tubes to associate with Omega are EL84, 300B and 2A3.

For now, I change the Glow Amplifier with components Mundorf, tubes NOS Bendix 5670 and Siemens EL84. It sounds really much better, it's a good little amp now.

I'm just disappointed because I thought it was manufactured in the United States and I saw when I received it was manufactured in China.

Everything works merit pay and Chinese workers are poorly paid.

In addition to Omega pregnant, my cables today are Dh Labs Revelation and Q-10 Signature made in USA.

Louis Chochos proposed association Leben 300 which is a very good amplifier but that costs 2000 ? in France, most expensive for me. The Melody is very well but are expensive and also manufactured in China.

The proposals that have most caught my attention are Bottlehead amps and Decware.

Especially Bottlehead, I discussed with the person who changed my Glow and he said that their scheme was very very good.

Decware amplifiers have a good power but the scheme announced by the SV83 pseudo-triode is very optimistic, in fact 2.3W are achieved with a lot of distortion ... In addition, the SV83 are pushed into their entrenchments in terms of voltage anode (a priori at least 300V) and power dissipation. This is not a military tube, how long does it take?

I think I may have made an amplifier-based tubes Bendix 6094 (= EL84) or 2A3 tube power and preamp in tubes 6E5P.

Best regards.

Jean-Michel

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2009, 10:38 am »
If you're willing to build, the tubelab Simple SE works great for me:

http://www.tubelab.com/

I redesigned my amp with a JJ ecc99 driver, and as a power amp to be used with a high gain ecc88 tube preamp. I spent about $800 in parts. I'm currently using Winged-C EL34 driver tubes and a Mullard rectifier. EL34s can be run either triode strapped or Ultralinear. I almost always use triode mode. I tried cathode feedback and that only made the sound worse.

I'm sure a 2A3 or similar would work ok too, but ideally I would like more power. The Simple SE makes at least 6 wpc, more in UL mode.

Its pictured with 6550 power tubes. I have Super 3 XRS speakers with the hemp drivers.

el dub

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jul 2009, 02:01 pm »
filetta: Check out the dynaco st-70 built by Bob Latino. I scored one of his units as well as a Eastern Electric Mini max BBA to be used as a pre for about what you mention as a budget early in this thread. I would put the el-34 tube toward the top of the bunch. It seems to pack a little more punch with our omega 6's than the manley running about the same wattage with el-84's. But the difference is small.

lw

filetta

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:11 pm »
I am currently testing an amplifier that produces an enthusiast. It built based on NOS EL 39 tubes Radiotechnique. He has a lot of punch, a beautiful sound, great detail and a nice soundstage.

He had a very good review in the magazine Haute Fid?lit?.

http://ddata.over-blog.com/xxxyyy/0/36/18/39/jlb-test-hf-ampli.pdf

The EL39 amplifier incorporates and updates the famous Dynaco assembly.

There is the aspect that you like or dislike.

I pay more than I counted them, but 2000 ? it was the price of the preamplifier new.

Louis O

« Reply #25 on: 16 Sep 2009, 12:20 am »
Hi Dave,

Very nice. Bad ass burl chassis. Really like your corner detail with the burl wrap.

Very cool,
Louis

gotspeakers

« Reply #26 on: 17 Sep 2009, 02:53 pm »
Wright Audio.  Talk to Steve.