Camera obscura

BradJudy

Camera obscura
« on: 30 Mar 2009, 08:53 pm »
Inspired by my pinhole experiments (another one coming soon hopefully) and the references to camera obscurae both here and in other places, I made the front bedroom in our house into a camera obscura today.

Here's an image of the result (flipped to make the image upright)

The colors/brightness are better in the image than in person because of the long exposure I used.

I never thought watching the cars drive past my house would be fun, but I'm getting a kick out of it today.  :)

BradJudy

Re: Camera obscura
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2009, 08:56 pm »
BTW: I tried a smaller hole for greater resolution and a more appropriate ratio to the distance across the room, but as you approach the ideal size for resolution, the brightness goes below the readily visible level.  I'm considering a small one set up with a super-long exposure with a film camera, but I'd have to figure out how to get back out of the room without blowing the exposure.

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2009, 09:01 pm »
Very cool Brad!

Is this a film capture or a digital camera capture?

ed

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2009, 09:16 pm »
It's a digital capture with my Canon A630. 

Here's a picture with the lights on of my fancy dial-o-aperture on the black-out plastic.

low.pfile

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2009, 09:20 pm »
Sweet! Got it.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2009, 05:04 am »
Hey!

Nice Brad. :D But I personally would prefer the image not flipped as the eyes see naturally. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2009, 06:04 am »
Wow, I didn't even know they made tripods that could support a house!  Panning and tilting must be a real bitch!