Green Castanet

Yoda

Green Castanet
« on: 30 Mar 2009, 06:17 pm »
OK - now with user friendly images!

As you can see, a few additions.  I use this as a linestage so multiple inputs, and I wanted options to record any source out to my ADC card in my computer.

Under the hood, there are Hovland caps, a PEC volume control and shielded cable for the inputs.  Still working out some minor bugs (I may have overheated one of the selector switches)

And yes - it sounds fantastic.  There is much more life and oomph to things compared to a simple 50k pot passive in line with my amp.  A great compliment to the rest of my Hagtech front end Chime and Cornet II)!

Matt
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2009, 12:03 am by Yoda »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Green Castanet
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:23 am »
Dude!

Saweeeet! DIY RULZ!  :thankyou: :dance:

Anand

tubesforever

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2009, 07:10 am »

Thanks for posting the pics.

I like the Castinet as you built it.  BTW, did you run the stock component pieces, or did you upgrade the resistors and capacitors on this build?

Is there a story that will let us know why you selected green of all the possible panel colors available?

Cheers!

Yoda

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2009, 05:23 am »
Tubes, I built the Castanet with stock resistors, Hovland caps, a cryoed tube, and I have some teflon bypass caps to try later when I know it's settled in.  The black paint is rubber undercoating type paint.  Green?  Well, I just really liked it.  It's gorgeous in real life - the pics don't really capture it. I have the gold faceplate on the Chime, Jim uses the red on the Hagerman Audio.  Hmm..blue ano panels for re-cladding the Cornet?

Matt

Watson

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2009, 05:38 am »
Any impressions of the sound of the Castanet?

flocchini

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2009, 07:31 pm »
Matt:

Superb !!!!!

Best

Bob

Yoda

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2009, 02:03 am »
Any impressions of the sound of the Castanet?

So far it works as a wonderful line stage in conjunction with the Bel Canto S300 amp.  I'm going to get to know it a little more and work out my build bugs on my input switch, borrow some good phones and take it to my buddy's house to hear through Audio Note speakers before I put together a full write up.  So far, I have a little over a weeks time listening and have not had a lot of time in each session.  I will say this - it sounded absolutely wonderful, amazingly fast with a dead quiet background from the moment I fired it up!  The integration of design and assembly on this kit is top notch (nothing less than expected from Hagerman), and would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone considering it. 

M@