SongSub question

floresjc

SongSub question
« on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:44 pm »
I was checking out the Salk owners thread on AVSforum, and within the hundreds of pages of posts, I saw part of a discussion that concerned the SongSub. Two things I wanted clarification on:

1. The SongSub dimensions were originally 14x14x24, but seems like a revised edition is slightly bigger?
2. There was a post that an "upgraded" SongSub may be in the works? I thought Jim only offered one sub at this time.

Thanks

jsalk

Re: SongSub question
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:03 pm »
I was checking out the Salk owners thread on AVSforum, and within the hundreds of pages of posts, I saw part of a discussion that concerned the SongSub. Two things I wanted clarification on:

1. The SongSub dimensions were originally 14x14x24, but seems like a revised edition is slightly bigger?

The depth was changed to 16"', all other dimensions remained the same.

2. There was a post that an "upgraded" SongSub may be in the works? I thought Jim only offered one sub at this time.

We build all kinds of subs all the time, but most are "custom" subs built for a specific applications.  The SongSub was designed specifically to go with the SongTowers (although it can certainly be used separately).  We are currently building a sub using Rythmik servo technology.  And we just completed a pair of subs that we will offer as a standard product for large, dedicated home theater applications.  We will post information on that design within the next couple of weeks.  It will be quite a large and rather expensive subwoofer application and would be overkill in many applications.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:22 pm »
A sub with Rythmik Servo technology?  Awesome!  Will you be using a 15" driver, or a 12"?  Can you give any information on what driver and amp you'll be using for the Rythmik Servo design?

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:20 pm »
Nuance -

A sub with Rythmik Servo technology?  Awesome!  Will you be using a 15" driver, or a 12"?  Can you give any information on what driver and amp you'll be using for the Rythmik Servo design?

We are currently building a 15" version with the PEQ amp.  We obviously can do either the 12" or 15" subs.  We are basically building the subs to Rythmik's specs.  The only thing we have changed is that we are using 1" MDF rather than 3/4".  So they are 1/2" larger in all dimensions.

- Jim

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
Jim
When you get the "Rythmik" subs done, could you drop a photo or two.  This sounds very interesting!!
Thanks
Mark

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2009, 09:08 pm »
Jim
When you get the "Rythmik" subs done, could you drop a photo or two.  This sounds very interesting!!
Thanks
Mark

Will do.

- Jim

sfox7076

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:33 pm »
Once the sub lands at my place and I have 10 minutes (ah, the life of a bankruptcy lawyer in these times), I plan to do a complete write up with pictures of the Sub and the speakers.  Yes, I am excited.

Shawn

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:59 pm »
^ Sweet!  We're looking forward to it.

elee532

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2009, 01:51 am »
Any further word on this? I am curious about sound and looks. I just came across a used 12" Rhythmik today. I'm thinking about giving it a try. If I like it, I might talk with Jim about using the parts and putting it in a cabinet to match my SongTowers.

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2009, 12:18 pm »
It was finished late last week and needs to go through testing.  I am sure it will sound amazing.  I cannot wait to get it here.

Shawn

sfox7076

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2009, 04:56 am »
Today I got the first pictures.  They are hard to scale, but here they are next to Jim's personal song sub (not sure if it is the 14" x14" or the 14" x 16")  It is clearly bigger than the SongSub, and is down firing (which is better for my situation).  Cannot wait to hear it.  Jim is going to take better pictures and do some measurements over the next few days. 

Shawn

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2009, 04:47 pm »
So is that the Rythmik ala Salk flavoring? 

Jim, veneers are stunning!!!

sfox7076

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2009, 04:16 pm »
Yes it is the Rythmik.  And the veneer is the reason that it passes the wife test, that is the point.

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2009, 11:49 pm »
Right on - looks spectacular!  Enjoy bud.

sfox7076

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2009, 12:06 pm »
The Subwoofer arrived Monday.  I quickly put it in place and ran into my first problem.  It would not play above a whisper.  After trouble shooting for an hour, I discovered it was the 110/220 switch.  Sigh...  With that switched, the Rythmik Song came alive.  Then I had a ground loop.  Never had an issue with the HSU, but it appears this sub is more sensitive to it.  I didn't have time to sort out my cable ground issue, so I just slapped a cheater plug on for now...  I ran the test tone and had to turn the gain knob to a little over 1/2 (Jim commented that the input is not as sensitive as he expected), but it sounds great and was easy to ear integrate with my SPL meter.  I will be working more on actually integrating it in a few weeks when life slows down a bit.  The sound is stunning.  So I sat back and put on Diana Krall live in Paris (the 5.1 DVD, the sub isn't active for 2 channel music), and listened.  The sub disappeared in the room.  The bass was quick, clean and totally undistorted.  On passages where it was hard to distinguish multiple notes from the same instruments came through crisp and clear.  Now this is a sealed sub, so that likely has a lot to do with it.  It doesn't move the same volume of air as the HSU, but I don't really care.  Home Theater is my next test, but it won't happen until next week as we are going to see my parents this weekend.  I expect it may not shake the room the way the HSU did, but I expect it to be more accurate, which is fine with me.  I also want to see how the PEQ in the amp works, but need the Room info to do that as well. 

Shawn

Kokishin

• Cirroc: Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2009, 11:26 am »
The links to your pics are broken. 

Today I got the first pictures.  They are hard to scale, but here they are next to Jim's personal song sub (not sure if it is the 14" x14" or the 14" x 16")  It is clearly bigger than the SongSub, and is down firing (which is better for my situation).  Cannot wait to hear it.  Jim is going to take better pictures and do some measurements over the next few days. 

Shawn

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2009, 04:09 pm »
sfox, congrats bro. 

Are you planning to use a program such as REW (Room EQ Wizard) to measure the in-room bass response?  If so, you'll then be able to apply the PEQ based on that to smooth out the response. 

There is nothing like sealed bass IMO.  It's just tighter, more musical and much less bloated.  A good ported subwoofer can get close to LF accuracy, but a sealed sub will usually get you closer (I actually like the sound of a good passive sub better than a ported sub too).  Plus, with room gain a sealed sub will reach lower and roll off slower.  I think you'll be surprised how it performs for HT.  Of course, if you room is huge you'll probably want two or three.  :)

My advice is to experiment with location, as sealed subs are finicky.  If you aren't getting enough "oomph" for HT, try putting the subwoofer in a corner in the front of the room.  Once you find that ideal spot, it's all bliss!