Wine glasses

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Wine glasses
« on: 29 Mar 2009, 09:59 pm »
How important and helpful is it to drink your wine in the "proper" glass?

How much of having a wine glass for each type of wine is hype and a way to get you to spend your money?

For example, look at this extensive wineglass guide from Riedel:

http://www.riedel.com/wineglassguide/

I would need half a dozen or more glass types just to drink the various red wines I enjoy.

Since I am wine drinker and not an educated enthusiast, I am looking to see what others think.

George

Philistine

Re: Wine glasses
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:12 pm »
George,
I use Riedel glasses and they do work, try buying single glasses first for a trial.
Many years ago I was involved in a test in which lower quality wines and ports were put in Riedel glasses and better qualities put in regular wine glasses.  This test was carried out with a friend who is a Master of Wine and a buyer for an exclusive high end store group.  We all thought the wines/port in the Riedel were the better qualities.  The glass design captures what they believe is the best taste/smell combination for each grape variety.
I encouraged a friend in the UK to try this with a neighbor over Christmas, and they reached the same conclusion with ports.

I bought some extras last year from a Williams-Sonoma, and was able to buy single glasses.

So, maybe not the answer you were looking for.  But it's a similar analogy to power cords!

Phil

topround

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:22 pm »
Riedel is the way to go, they make a difference, much more so than power chords :lol:
I use riedel all the time, the are the best. You won't go back to the flintstone glass anymore

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm »
Thanks Phil.

Now which line is the one to get?

I am guessing that you will say that I need to go with the Sommeliers line (which looks like their top line) - right?

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/riedel-sommeliers-zinfandel-chianti-wine-glass-(1).asp

George

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:14 am »
Wrong :o
The Sommeliers range is way too expensive, start with Vinum - you can get single glasses for $25.  If you like them, and think they work, you can always trade up to the Sommeliers for yourself and let Mrs Zybar use the Vimum :thumb:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/glassware-bar/wine-glasses/index.cfm?cm_type=gnav

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:29 am »
Wrong :o
The Sommeliers range is way too expensive, start with Vinum - you can get single glasses for $25.  If you like them, and think they work, you can always trade up to the Sommeliers for yourself and let Mrs Zybar use the Vimum :thumb:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/glassware-bar/wine-glasses/index.cfm?cm_type=gnav

Nice!

What about the stemless ones?

George

topround

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:35 am »
Steer clear of stemless/.
The sommeliers are very nice but expensive and delicate, the Vinums are just right
of course if you are drinking an old first growth or big Brunello it might be nice to break out the sommeliers, but not neccessary, more for ceremony, than neccessity, becareful though even the Vinums are somewhat delicate. I have broken maybe 2 dozen of them, some just from cleaning them. The stems are flexible, and fragile

Philistine

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:39 am »
I agree on the cleaning, with cheaper wine glasses I hold the stem to dry them, but not with Riedel - I hold the bowl.  Even then I only do it when sober, and it's a delicate job.

topround

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:49 am »
Philistine,
"
Yes I have to admit many were broken after several good bottles were "tasted"
do not try to whip them dry, they will most definitly break, and sticking my big hand to clean the bowels has broken a few as well.
Many a trip though included packing the Reidels
Imagine the looks you get when going to a restaurant that is BYOB and you bring your own set of whites and reds :P
Reidel has a carrying case now,, it is pretentious though, I always feel embarrssed, so i no longer do it, most great wines are enjoyed in my home in the company of warm tubes!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:13 am »
 :o -- OMG --  :o
THIS is the style and shape I use for my Reds. However it's not the same brand.
This sucker is $59 per friggin' glass. Jeez man....
You're right, it IS just like wires...We all have to find our tolerance level for price point.
But $59 each  :scratch:

After what you guys said, I got a chuckle from this line:
"All Riedel glasses are dishwasher safe."  :lol: Yea, right.   :nono:

Bob

Syrah

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:17 am »
I like the Spiegelau.  I use the Bordeaux and Burgundy for reds and the Red Wine for whites.  They're more solid but less refined than Riedel.  Apparently Riedel bought Spiegelau a few years back.  Spiegelau seem to be the choice of many high end restaurants, no doubt for their durability.  If you shop around you can get them for a pretty decent price.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:45 am »
I've been using a set of Riedel stemless Pinot Noire glasses for the last couple of years. I've grown so used to them that I really don't liked stemmed glasses anymore.

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:13 pm »
I have always used Riedel but I got 6 of these for Christmas and I really like them.  Chambolle-Musignys and Gevrey-Chambertins  out of this huge glass is most excellent.  Very large surface to air ratio really opens up some tight lipped vintages. 

http://www.waterford.com/shop/product.asp?sku=12671&cat=&terms=

They were bought at Macy's and price is good.

rydenfan

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:33 pm »
Riedel is the way to go  :thumb: These are the ones we use
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/glassware-bar/glassware-riedel/glsridgrp/index.cfm?cm%5Ftype=lnav

For a more casual bottle the stemless are great and very easy to wash.

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:36 pm »
I am all about stemless. 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:38 pm »
Any suggestions on which set of glasses to use for a bottle of Malbec?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:00 pm »
I think Malbec goes with Syrah and Granache.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:48 pm »
You're right, it IS just like wires...We all have to find our tolerance level for price point.

Bob

I think that's for a pair of them.  Somewhere in the ad it stated two per box.  Still a bit much for some.

I've got no problems with stemless, esp. if you or the one you drink with is on the clumsy side.  For those who say 'your hand will heat up the wine' I say "you're drinking too slowly!"

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2009, 04:03 pm »

Bob

I think that's for a pair of them.  Somewhere in the ad it stated two per box.  Still a bit much for some.

I've got no problems with stemless, esp. if you or the one you drink with is on the clumsy side.  For those who say 'your hand will heat up the wine' I say "you're drinking too slowly!"

If you go with the top of the line Sommeliers series, a single glass goes for $65-120 over at the Wine Enthusiast!!   :scratch:

I think I am going to try the cheaper Vinum line as suggested by Phil, as well as the O" line of stemless.

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2009, 04:12 pm »
Yea Rex, even at half price, that's too rich for my blood.
I'm not sure what brand I've got, but if if I had to venture a guess the manufacturers name came off when I peeled away the made in China sticker. I've broken a few of them over the years. Don't feel too bad about it since they're probably 20 years old ans cheapies to begine with. But if they where new and cost me as much as some of these, I'd probably cry.

Bob