SPIKES vs OUTRIGGERS

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
SPIKES vs OUTRIGGERS
« on: 28 Mar 2009, 05:54 pm »
Gentlemen,

I am currently using the small black cones that came with my VR4 SR MKII speakers.  They rest on a carpeted concrete floor.  I would like to go with a different setup; either larger brass or aluminized cones or maybe outriggers.  This is about the only vendor for outriggers I could find:

http://www.soundocity.com/

I am also considering having 3cm granite slabs mfd. same size as the speaker footprint that the spikes would rest directly on.  I'm thinking that none of these arrangements will sound appreciably different but I could be wrong.  I would like to hear opinions regarding sonics of cones vs. outriggers.  Maybe even thoughts on using a granite slab as opposed to spikes resting directly on the carpet.  Lastly if anyone has other sources for outriggers please share.

Thanks.

Gavin

Delacroix

Re: SPIKES vs OUTRIGGERS
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2009, 06:07 pm »
Gavin

There was some discussion last year on this topic here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60996.0

I use the outriggers from Soundocity, I think they are the manufacturer and can tweak a design for you if you have a preference. I installed mine and never took them out. They look good too, at least my my audio eyes, and my sig other did not complain. The only issue I'd worry about with using spikes and granite over your carpet/concrete is the height -- you might raise the speaker up and throw the sound off. The soundocity outriggers are also adjustable so you can not only level easily, you can tweak the speaker slightly to have the front or back slightly higher, if that helps focus.

Best

D.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2009, 06:37 pm »
Thanks delacroix,

Could you post some pix??

Gavin

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:03 pm »
Another option that I use on my loudspeakers are Sistrum Platforms from Starsound. DoubleUgly turned me onto Sistrum Platforms and Audiopoints and I can't recommend them enough for total isolation that will sharpen the clarity & tighten up the imaging of loudspeakers. :D

Here's a picture of the Sistrum SP-004 under my Lorelei at Topround's NY RAVE back in 2007.

Cheers,
Robin

Delacroix

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:35 pm »
Here's a couple of pics (the few I have to hand) that will give you some idea of what these look like, there's a link to VR5 pic on the Soundocity site on that previous discussion thread I mentioned: above

and

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2009, 08:49 pm »
I really like the looks of the outriggers on the VR5s...those are the SE's right?  Very nice.  Thanks for the pix delacroix.

htradtk

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2009, 10:06 pm »
Very nice indeed! Something else for me to think about. They make a great speaker even look better. Does anyone know how much height they add to the speaker?

Henry

JackD201

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2009, 12:49 am »
Keith uses Soundocity outriggers on his DB-99s. Where is that guy anyway? It's deceptive. If they do add height at all it can't be much more than a quarter of an inch. The stock spikes that come with SRs and 5s are pretty tall. I wouldn't be surprised at all if net height might even be a smidge lower. One thing for sure is the difference in height is much less than the differences in listener's butt to ear differences because of height and the differences in height of our chairs. It shouldn't be an issue for VSA owners but might be an issue for folks who use head in a vice speakers.

I agree with delacroix. They look good AND make adjusting rake angles SOOOOOOOOO easy.

Delacroix

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:13 am »
Quick check of mine shows a 1.75" clearance from floor to bottom speaker plate. Depending on how far you screw in your stock spikes, they may not be very different. This is including the use of protectors under the spikes to save the wooden floor;  the stock protectors that came with my 5SEs are a little thicker than the Soundocity cups.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2009, 02:25 am »
I used the Soundocity outriggers with my Kestrel IIs a couple of years ago. Much better than the standard plinths.

Here's a link to some other products.
http://www.oregondv.com/Floor_Standing_Speaker_Stands.htm

Old pics are funny as the only item still in my system is the cdp on top shelf.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2009, 01:04 pm »
Very nice, thanks.  Is that at Arcam FMJ?

kgturner

« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:17 pm »
i bought a pair of custom outriggers from oregondv.com for my dB99 speakers. i ordered the x-wing style outriggers as i felt the elongated footprint would help with stability. i think i paid about $400 for my pair. they are a basically a 1/4" steel plinth that mounts to the bottom of my speakers. i had to sketch the bottom of the speaker and mail it to oregondv after which they created a CAD of my sketch and machined the plinth/outrigger.

kevin t

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:28 am »
Very nice, thanks.  Is that at Arcam FMJ?

Had to think for a minute as I just sold an Arcam CD-23. But the picture is an old one and I seriously don't remember what cdp it is there.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:30 am »
i bought a pair of custom outriggers from oregondv.com for my dB99 speakers. i ordered the x-wing style outriggers as i felt the elongated footprint would help with stability. i think i paid about $400 for my pair. they are a basically a 1/4" steel plinth that mounts to the bottom of my speakers. i had to sketch the bottom of the speaker and mail it to oregondv after which they created a CAD of my sketch and machined the plinth/outrigger.

kevin t

They no longer make the X base only the two separate strap type outrigger.  Thanks for the pix.  They look nice.

kgturner

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2009, 02:32 am »
They no longer make the X base only the two separate strap type outrigger.  Thanks for the pix.  They look nice.

well, poo!!

keith

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2009, 12:44 am »
Yup, I use the SoundCity outriggers for my DB-99s.  Love the fact that I can adjust heights on the fly.  But as Jack mentioned, height change is incremental.

I'd say the small version would be perfect for the likes of the old VR4jr, as it would add stability and make it less likely to topple over.  Wish I had these when I used to use the VR4jrs.