Counting Crows?

Bigfish

Counting Crows?
« on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:19 pm »
I am listening to "Hard Candy" by Counting Crows and am finding it to a very good album.  Would you guys recommend some of your favorite Counting Crows Albums as I would like to add to my collection?

Thanks,

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Counting Crows?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:42 pm »
I am listening to "Hard Candy" by Counting Crows and am finding it to a very good album.  Would you guys recommend some of your favorite Counting Crows Albums as I would like to add to my collection?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

I am big fan of theirs, so I say buy them all!!   :green:

You can of course go with their greatest hits album:  "Films About Ghosts: The Best Of..."  This will expose you to a wide variety of their work.

While "Hard Candy" is a good album from top to bottom, I think their first album "August and Everything After" is still their best.  All of their albums are highly rated on allmusic.com and I generally agree with their reviews.

George

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:43 pm »
I'm not sure which would be best starting from Hard Candy.  My personal favorite is the Across a Wire - VH1 Storytellers CD (part of a two CD live set), but it only covers their earlier work.  Since you are starting with Hard Candy, it might be better to try their newest album next: "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings"

Edit: George has a good point with the greatest hits album - I never think of it since it's the one I don't own. 

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:50 pm »
Not a very helpful post but...

...I always loved theses lyrics.

I want to be Bob Dylan
Mr. Jones wishes he was someone just a little more funky
When everybody loves you, son, that's just about as funky as you can be

Chad

trianglezerius

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2009, 01:48 pm »
Another one is the Universal Deluxe Edition of August and Everything After (2 Disc set).  Comes with the original recording plus bonus tracks and a live set of the original recording. Phenomenal CD and great recording.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:02 pm »
August and Everything After is one of my favorite albums of all time.  They lost that grip on my soul with their follow-up, the one with "Recovering the Satellites" on it (or was that the name of the album?).  I've heard one other album since and still didn't love it like I love the first.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:47 pm »
This is one of my favorite bands and have been lucky enough to see them in concert many times since the mid 90's.

August & Everything After is definitely my favorite album.  I also think that their second album Recovering the Satelites was very good.

Their newest album has not grown on me yet. 

I do not think you can go wrong with their greatest hits Films About Ghosts or their first two cds.

If you are into bootlegs of live shows or other recordings I know that ebay used to have several people offering stuff you won't find in the stores.

It reminds me of how there used to be a bunch of never released live Grateful Dead recordings being shared/traded/sold by their fans and others.

-Nick

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2009, 04:14 pm »
August and Everything After is my favorite by a fair margin, the entire album is excellent.  I was able to see them in concert a few years ago, it was in a small venue, great concert.

Best,
Ed

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:08 pm »
I saw them at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO several years ago.  When we first entered the venue, I went to the bar to order a beer and it took me a second to realize that I was sitting next to Adam Duritz as he was finalizing the set list at the bar. 

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:49 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations guys.  I picked-up "August and Everything" and "This Desert Life" at a local used CD Store this afternoon.

Ken