Natural Cherry

floresjc

Natural Cherry
« on: 27 Mar 2009, 06:39 pm »
Anyone have pics of the natural cherry after its aged? I've seen a lot of factory fresh, but I'd be pretty interested in seeing what any of the cherry veneers look like aged.

R Swerdlow

Re: Natural Cherry
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:22 pm »
Anyone have pics of the natural cherry after its aged? I've seen a lot of factory fresh, but I'd be pretty interested in seeing what any of the cherry veneers look like aged.

I have SongTowers in that finish.  I've posted photos from when they were new.  A few months ago I took more photos, to answer the same question as yours, but as viewed on my computer, the photos look the same as when they were new.

I do think they have darkened some with time, but only slightly.  Their apparent darkness varies greatly depending on the lighting.  In daylight the look brighter, and in electric light (especially dim light) they look darker.  I was surprised to find how much this was due to lighting.

I'm in Gaithersburg, MD - come see them for yourself.  Bring your wife too, if her opinion on finish is also important.  They are now a year and a half old.

Jim is very good at adding dye during the finishing process to achieve controlled levels of darkness.  If you have some furniture that you want to match, send him a photo and he can do his magic.

floresjc

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:30 pm »
Swerdlow -

Thanks for the invite, I'll send you a PM

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2009, 11:04 pm »
Some veneers like Mahogany and Walnut get lighter with age and others get darker.  Cherry gets darker.  In my opinion as the Cherry ages it takes on more pleasing tones also called a "patina".  If they are near a window the surfaces that see the sunlight will darken much more quickly. 

Because most if not all manufactures now us UV inhibitors in the Finish Coatings in now takes much longer for the darkening to become noticeable.

I myself just received my ST-RT's in medium stained cherry.  They look fantastic, in fact we have a Kitchen Renovation that is in the works.  My wife likes how the ST's look so much that she is asking if we can change our order to have the Kitchen Cabinets be made to match the speakers.

As I say, they look great and I'm looking forward to them taking on the richer tones as they age

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:18 am »
… I myself just received my ST-RT's in medium stained cherry.  They look fantastic, in fact we have a Kitchen Renovation that is in the works.  My wife likes how the ST's look so much that she is asking if we can change our order to have the Kitchen Cabinets be made to match the speakers.

Gord

Congrats on the new speakers!  I never get tired of hearing about how people enjoy their new Salk speakers.

So your wife likes them so much, now she wants kitchen cabinets to match :lol:.  Sounds just like my wife, who quite willingly agreed with my buying my STs.  After they arrived, she pointed out how shabby the kitchen floor (adjacent to the family room with the HT) looked, adding that cherry hardwood floors would certainly look great.  Well, she compromised and now we have a tile floor in the kitchen.  That is the hidden price of an audio upgrade :duh:.