Stereomojo to do 2009 speaker shootout - suggestions wanted!

EthanH

Re: Stereomojo to do 2009 speaker shootout - suggestions wanted!
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:01 am »
I would personally like to see a good mix of offerings from big and small, brick & mortar and ID manufacturers.  A few ideas, in no particular order:

Vandersteen 2Ce Sig
Totem Acoustic Hawk
Salk Songtower
Dynaudio Focus 220
Gradient Evidence
Tyler Acoustics D3
Joseph Audio RM22XL
Odyssey Lorelei
Monitor Audio RS6
Horn Shoppe Horn
Amphion Xenon2
B&W CM9
Devore Gibbon 8

Zero

« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:14 am »
You know, in order for this to be even remotely fair....   you would have to operate everything in a room that would be ideal for all of these loudspeakers.  You would need 20 or so different components on hand to match each individual speaker so it will have a fair chance to strut its stuff, and you'll also want to have someone from the manufacturer who understands the product and can set it up for a proper demo.  If all of that criteria can be met, than there may be some merit to this deal.  Something tells me none of that is going to happen...

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:28 am »
Let's see Danny's new P audio ob speaker in there.

Just like the last time that I hosted one of these things, I won't be entering any of my own products in it.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:44 am »
Well, since Danny's designs are OFF the list, then I would like to see these ten speakers reviewed:

Hawthorne Audio Sterling Silver Iris Duets
Vandersteen 2Ce Sig II
Totem Acoustic Hawk
Salk Songtower Ribbon Tweeter
Joseph Audio RM22XL
Odyssey Lorelei
Monitor Audio RS6
Magnepan 1.6
Devore Gibbon 8
Gedlee Summas

L

stereocilia

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2009, 03:15 am »
How about a Linkwitz Pluto system $2995?  This includes the amps which may exclude them from consideration.

honesthoff

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2009, 03:30 am »
Usher CP-6311

cujobob

« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2009, 03:47 am »
You know, in order for this to be even remotely fair....   you would have to operate everything in a room that would be ideal for all of these loudspeakers.  You would need 20 or so different components on hand to match each individual speaker so it will have a fair chance to strut its stuff, and you'll also want to have someone from the manufacturer who understands the product and can set it up for a proper demo.  If all of that criteria can be met, than there may be some merit to this deal.  Something tells me none of that is going to happen...

By your logic, no comparison would ever be valid.  This isn't the last word in speaker testing, just another comparison for hobbyists to enjoy reading about.  Craigsub's sub rankings from AVS are just a tool (as an example) and most people realize that.

Zero

« Reply #27 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:06 am »
How do you figure Cujo?

Look, I'm all for entertainment, and if Stereomojo wishes to advertise it as a big fun-fest whose results shouldn't be taken all too seriously, that's fine and dandy. I'll be ready with popcorn and an eager eye.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:00 am »
Zero,

The electronics used are of the highest quality, non-coloring, and very transparent. They will allow only the signature of the speakers themselves to be compared.

The room is well treated and the speakers are placed well into the room.

Trust me, the listening conditions will be very good and will not lend favor to any certain speaker type.

Zero

« Reply #29 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:07 am »
Danny,

All I can say is -  it looks like the boys down south will be having lots of fun!  Enjoy.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:28 am »
How about the Bastanis Prometheus kit for $1999. Even though it is a kit, I am sure you could get it built for $1000, so would that qualify?
I like the idea of this shootout - well chosen price point.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:13 pm »
I'd like to see a ninja master ELT525T go up against some big boys a la NM X-LS a couple of years ago.  The full upgrade kit and expected no rez cost would put it just sjy of $1100 retail.  Maybe Sean could get some upgraded and sent over.

Edit: NM, I see no mods or kits will be included, which I think would rule this out.  A $699 speaker probably doesn't belong in this bunch....

Edit again:  Considering Danny's recent findings with the Axiom M80ti, it might be very interesting to see it directly compared to other speakers in a professional, non-partial shootout.

johnzm

« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:41 pm »
is the av123 strata mini considered discontinued? 

i also third the songtowers and hawthornes products.

:)

grubyhalo

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:45 pm »
I'd personally love to see Danny's new OB and the Hawthorne Sterling Duets/Trios...

trianglezerius

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2009, 06:16 pm »
My vote goes for:
Gr  Neo-2x
and the Usher Be-718

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:02 pm »
If you guys want to see some of my new models in a shoot out type comparison then you'll need to get someone else to host it.

I'd personally love to see Danny's new OB and the Hawthorne Sterling Duets/Trios...

I did try the Hawthorne Silver Iris driver with their network and I designed a new network for it as well. My thoughts were that the driver choice used in the Venue model was better in that application. Add open baffle servo controlled subs and it is on a level of its own. There is nothing like open baffle and servo control.

My vote goes for:
Gr  Neo-2x
and the Usher Be-718

I think I have already made that comparison.   :D
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2009, 03:53 am by Danny »

mcullinan

« Reply #36 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:14 pm »
My vote goes for:
Gr  Neo-2x
and the Usher Be-718
I heard the Ushers, very nice... musical..
Mike

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #37 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:13 am »
is the av123 strata mini considered discontinued? 

i also third the songtowers and hawthornes products.

:)

From what I understand, they're not discontinued, but the manufacturer of the midbass driver went out of business and AV123 is having trouble sourcing them.  (maybe don't have the capital to order a large enough quantity to get somebody else to build a custom driver just yet?)  I'm fairly sure that as soon as parts availability is there we'll see more minis.  I would think if some can be found they would qualify for this shootout.

TomS

« Reply #38 on: 28 Mar 2009, 02:18 am »
The Emerald Physics CS2's are selling for street prices of $2495 or $2995 from the only US dealer, depending on when you look so maybe they would qualify ($3495 list).  You need 4 amp channels though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 28 Mar 2009, 03:57 am »

One other thing not announced yet is that I have had communications with Darrel Hawthorne that could well lead to some collaboration and design work with him and his company.

So considering the anticipation of a professional relation with me on some future projects Darrel has decided to pass on the shoot out since I am hosting it.