is it posible a minimalist set of iPhone+wifi HD media player?

anibal1966

hi,

i am looking for a simple$cost effective way to play lossless audio files to my high-end audio set without the hassle&energy waste of a computer.

i've thought it would be great to use my iPhone as a remote to control a HD media player connected via SPDIF to my DAC.

i would leave my PC for disc ripping, off when listening to music.

is it feasible?

Crimson

Hello,

The two options I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. Apple TV: No need for an external computer for playback, can be connected to an external DAC, and can be controlled via an iPhone. The downside is that you are limited to the size of the hard drive on the ATV.
2. Sonos: No need for an external computer for playback, can be connected to an external DAC, allows use of NAS for storage, and can be controlled via an iPhone. Downside here is the cost for both the Sonos and external NAS can get expensive.

All other options require the use of a computer (Transporter, Squeezbox, AirTunes, etc), and may not provide control via an iPhone. The simplest and most cost-effective solution I can think of is running an Airport Express via AirTunes using it's optical output: total cost is $100 and the device is the size of a deck of cards. You will, however, need a computer running iTunes for playback.

mcgsxr

There is a guy around here and Head-Fi that built up a Linux driven tiny PC, running on a really low power PS, I think he said it uses 5 watts or so?  Built for around $140 as I recall, and totally controllable via a wifi device such as an iPhone.

Take a peek in the Discless Circle here, NYC Ambulance might be his handle?

bcretty

Hi,

Apple TV seems to be your perfect solution to me. I believe apple is rumored to release a Netbook in the near future so that might be an alternative. HD support is supposed to make it to the netbook fad this year so keep your eyes open.. Netbooks are considerably less expensive than laptops although you may just want to get a used macbook or mac mini depending on how much you want to spend. I believe an XBOX 360 may work for your needs a well.

Jut some food for thought.
Enjoy.
Brian

anthony a.

take a look at the asus eee box.  can be had for under $300 and it is a full blown pc the size of an apple tv, but you can change the ram and hard drive on it.  it is a 1.6ghz atom cpu that only uses like 10 watts and is 100% silent.  i am very happy with mine as i run itunes off it into a usb dac controlled with an ipod touch.  its powerful enough to browse the net and stream movies as well when i get the itch.  check it out, its much better than an apple tv (i went through the exact same dilemma as you and happy with the asus).

bcretty

Good sugestion regarding the eee box. I own the original eepc and love it. Just wish I could get a netbook running leopard. The Dell mini 9 may be in the near future :) hint... hint...

Brian