Equalizer Help for my HT2 TL Setup

guptaas

Equalizer Help for my HT2 TL Setup
« on: 23 Mar 2009, 01:06 am »
The HT2 TL's have a great bass response, but all recordings, rooms and listeners are not equal. Once in a while some adjustment is desirable. My current setup doesn't allow that. This is my setup:
Lossless FLAC's from a silent PC  > Benchmark DAC1 USB  providing volume control > XLR balanced outputs > PS Audio HCA-2 power amplifier > 12G speaker cables > HT2 TL's
Links:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac1-usb
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/hca-2-power-amplifier?cat=audio-classics

The thinking behind the setup was to keep the chain minimalistic. I used to use a sub-woofer control to fine adjust bass if needed. Don't want it back with the HT2's. Obviously, I wouldn't like Windows to be involved at all in the process. All volume controls there are permanently turned to 100% with equalizer and surround processing etc. disabled. XLR cables give me length. The only control on the power amp is the power switch. Since its likely going to be a very occasional need, should I use a software equalizer instead of adding a preamp and equalizer which means space, hassle, cost and violation of the shortest possible path? Is there another way? Thanks for any ideas. I'm no audiophile, just a music lover.

jsalk

Re: Equalizer Help for my HT2 TL Setup
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:28 am »
guptaas -

The HT2 TL's have a great bass response, but all recordings, rooms and listeners are not equal. Once in a while some adjustment is desirable. My current setup doesn't allow that. This is my setup:
Lossless FLAC's from a silent PC  > Benchmark DAC1 USB  providing volume control > XLR balanced outputs > PS Audio HCA-2 power amplifier > 12G speaker cables > HT2 TL's
Links:
http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system1/digital-analog-converter/dac1-usb
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/hca-2-power-amplifier?cat=audio-classics

The thinking behind the setup was to keep the chain minimalistic. I used to use a sub-woofer control to fine adjust bass if needed. Don't want it back with the HT2's. Obviously, I wouldn't like Windows to be involved at all in the process. All volume controls there are permanently turned to 100% with equalizer and surround processing etc. disabled. XLR cables give me length. The only control on the power amp is the power switch. Since its likely going to be a very occasional need, should I use a software equalizer instead of adding a preamp and equalizer which means space, hassle, cost and violation of the shortest possible path? Is there another way? Thanks for any ideas. I'm no audiophile, just a music lover.

I would be somewhat careful about using EQ.  The HT2-TL cabinets were designed to coax the maximum bass extension out of the Seas W18's.  And they do an incredible job in that regard.  Using EQ to extend the bass even farther will certainly rob you of power handling since the drivers would be working overtime to try and reproduce sub 30Hz bass.  This would increase distortion in the process as well.

Bass that is any deeper than the HT2-TL's will reproduce is really subwoofer territory.  But before you go there, give yourself a little more time.  You may find that the nature of TL bass takes a little getting used to.  The HT2-TL's play to about 32Hz which most people would find totally acceptable for music reproduction.  But it is not boomy or in-your-face bass.  You might find that as you become used to TL bass, you will find less of a need for a subwoofer.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

guptaas

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:46 am »
Thank you Jim. I totally agree with you in that these speakers produce all the bass one should desire for music. I didn't just mean bass but the ability to modify the playback across the whole spectrum. Sometimes one wants to exaggerate a certain instrument or vocals.

However, I have to agree with you, I should leave things alone, since 99% of the times I don't need any adjustment. "Sound" advice as usual (pun intended). Thanks

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:32 pm »
If you desire to play with bass response and exaggerate some of the lower frequencies, do not do this with the HT2's; do it with a subwoofer and perhaps a BFD.  It's pretty common knowledge that it is VERY unlikely for the best in-room positioning for ideal imaging and sound stage width to be the exact same location for the best in-room bass response.  Even if my speakers hit 20Hz flat, I'd still use a subwoofer for reasons stated above, especially for HT use.

Hope that helps.  Happy listening! 

guptaas

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I didn't have the "common" knowledge but had intuitively assumed that fact. I've given up on the idea of adding anything. My PC-centric setup is already way better than I ever imagined. FLAC playback on it sounds way better than most CD based systems. The occasional time I feel like exaggerating some component (like when one wants to play along) is rare enough that its not worth messing up an otherwise perfect setup.

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:12 am »
Thanks for the advice. I didn't have the "common" knowledge but had intuitively assumed that fact. I've given up on the idea of adding anything. My PC-centric setup is already way better than I ever imagined. FLAC playback on it sounds way better than most CD based systems. The occasional time I feel like exaggerating some component (like when one wants to play along) is rare enough that its not worth messing up an otherwise perfect setup.

I suppose if you want to exaggerate the bass you could place the speakers closer to the wall.  That will certainly work. 

guptaas

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2009, 02:29 am »
I'm sorry for somehow creating the impression that I'm lacking bass. That's not the case at all. I meant equalizer type of control. Putting them close to the front wall ruins imaging for me. In fact have been gradually pulling them away from the wall for that reason with much better results

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2009, 03:53 pm »
I'm sorry for somehow creating the impression that I'm lacking bass. That's not the case at all. I meant equalizer type of control. Putting them close to the front wall ruins imaging for me. In fact have been gradually pulling them away from the wall for that reason with much better results
Right on - I hear ya.  Well, in that case the BFD (or some other form of low end EQ) and subwoofer are the only way to go.  You can then use REW (a free piece of software) to add filters into the BFD in order to exaggerate any bass frequency you want (also called a "house curve.")  I've got a BFD (paid less than $100 for it) and two DIY 15" subs (one is on loan from a friend) and I use a "house curve" for movies (exaggerated bass at the frequencies of my choice) and a flat a setting as possible for music.  I couldn't be happier pairing that stuff with my SongTower RT's!

If you already have a subwoofer, investing in the BFD is WELL worth it IMO.