Any RM 2 owners in Portland-Salem, Oregon?

toobwacky

Any RM 2 owners in Portland-Salem, Oregon?
« on: 21 Mar 2009, 09:16 pm »
I'd be most grateful to be afforded the opportunity to audition these speakers!   :drool:

If so inclined, please PM me.

Thanks!    :D

RM2fanboy

Re: Any RM 2 owners in Portland-Salem, Oregon?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 04:25 pm »
Hi,

I live in Eastern Washington, so I am probably beyond your travel range. Last Friday I received two RM2s and an Emotiva XPA 2 amp.  The combination sounds really good although the RM2's are placed close to wall for WAF.

Previously I tried to make do with on wall NHTs, but the system did not quite satisfy.  The RM 2's are dynamic have lots of planar/ribbon sparkle but highs are still very smooth. My listening position is about 12 feet from the speakers and they are 8 feet apart. The sound is excellent at both low and high volumes. I don't listen much above 85 dB, but feel that the system could easily achieve 95 db without straining. The Rm2s are in a 18" by 20" room with 11 foot ceilings. The room is open in the rear to a dining room and open on one side to to a kitchen.       

Although not yet not broken in, the quality of sound is already good enough to satisfy my rather picky demands. I have a circa 1973 all Mac (MC-1 speakers are four ways with 12" woofer) system in my bedroom, which has been my bench mark for "good enough" quality sound. The RM2s sound different than the Macs but at least as good. Due to age the MACs no longer handle difficult loads when driven hard. However, they are still very good in a smaller room with most music.

One word of caution. As you probably know the RM2s are rather large and heavy and there was some shipping damage (sent UPS) although outer boxes were not obviously broken. Grill attachments were all broken (new grill attachments are being sent), the loose grill rubbed on woofers edges and tore top layer of material  (non playing part where speaker screws on to the front face), there was a small crack in veneer in the back corner of one speaker. Luckily non of the damage affected the sound and there is very little visual impact with grills on.  I am keeping the speakers, since it is not worth the effort/cost to send back However, the damage was enough to be unacceptable, if I had bought from a retail store.

VMPS personnel were very helpful and promptly respond to both e-mails and phone calls. I think the RM2s are as good as you can get for the money, especially if you like planar sound and must live with less than ideal placement and room acoustics.   

Bob Haight

toobwacky

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:07 pm »
Thanks for your most informative reply Bob.  Bummer about the damage, but glad you are enjoying the sound!

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:28 pm »
Try a pm to Warnerwh, if he's still around. He lives in Portland and had rm2's last I knew. He was/is a dealer also.

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2009, 09:58 pm »
Actually I have RM 40's. These will give you an excellent idea what the RM 2's sound like. Only difference is 2 more panels and the RM2's have the advantage in the bottom octave, same tweeter on both. PM if you want to listen to them. I'm not really a dealer anymore and recommend John Casler when you want to buy some.  My room is fully treated so acoustics are good which will give you a better foundation from which to judge.