A little amp wire problem......

SharkyRivethead

A little amp wire problem......
« on: 21 Mar 2009, 07:42 pm »
I have a KLH Sub, 150 watts. It had some problems a while back. The main Caps had blown. I took it in to a shop be fixed. They replaced the caps and all was well, so I thought. After about a month one of the caps blew again. I only knew this because the sound it made. I then realized that they never fixed the problem causing the caps to blow, but only quick fixed it by replacing the obvious. I don't have any electronic experience, but I love to troubleshoot and decided to do it myself. Using a little multi-meter I found 6 resistors that were defective between the 2 boards in the amp.  I replaced the 6 plus the main cap. (it was a hard find because it was 6800 uf 50v) Yes, I made sure to put the cap in the right way. =)

Here is my dilemma.  There is a little wire that became disconnected before I could see where it came from. My wife (who is an electronics buyer) says it looks like a "jumper" and is looking into it. But the wire was attached to a resistor on one board, the board with the high/low level inputs. The other board is connected to the transformer. In the area where it would have been connected, there are the large caps, speaker neg, ground and little else.

Have any of you come across anything like this before? Maybe your an expert in amp stuff and know exactly what I'm talking about....wink....wink. It's the only thing holding me back. I'm afraid to plug it in and test it till I get that done. I'm so close yet so far.

markC

Re: A little amp wire problem......
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:12 pm »
If you could post a pic of the board area and the "little wire", it may help.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:26 pm »
And if you could contact KLH and get a schematic, that would help even more...

Anand.

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2009, 12:43 am »
 I did send an email to KLH, but I have yet to get a response from them. I will take a picture as soon as I get my camera back from the inlaws.