A Linn LP-12 modding question

Mr Content

A Linn LP-12 modding question
« on: 21 Mar 2009, 06:19 am »
Hi Guys, I have a Linn TT, with a Grace 707 arm and Supex 900 cart. I dont really like the Grace or Supex, I recently lost another  Linn TT with a Fedality Research FX64 arm with a Koastu Gold cart. I really liked this setup, and cannot live with the Grace and Supex. ........so.......... I am planing doing a mod on the Linn, I mean really doing a Mod. I am thinking of turning a new platter out of hardwood and filling it with shot, also moving the motor outboard.
   So my question is, has anyone played with modding a Linn, what did you do , and how did it work out. Also anyone know of any info on the web about this.

Thanks Guys

Mr C :D

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: A Linn LP-12 modding question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2009, 07:53 am »
i have never owned a linn...  but, the origin-live dc motor kit was initially designed w/the linn in mind.  this was a significant upgrade on my oracle delphi turntable, i highly recommend it.  save money on the upgrade power supply, tho - get a lab grade hewlett packard or similar dc power supply instead.  at least as good, if not better, and on ebay these can be had for pennies on the dollar of new cost. 

doug s.

Mr Content

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2009, 08:54 am »
Thanks doug, I will have to have a look at that. Good idea about the power supply too. :thumb:

Mr C :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2009, 09:36 am »
here's a pic of my oracle, w/a hewlett packard p/s to the left...  retails for ~$1-$1.5k, cost me less than $100 shipped, off ebay...  strange creatures not included...   :lol:

doug s.

Mr Content

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2009, 09:53 am »
Wow doug, looks great, and what a buy....the creatures I mean...... :lol:
 I had a look at their site, interesting, thanks for the heads up. can I ask you a few more questions about it as I proceed?

Mr C aa

BTW, how do you post a pic.?????

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2009, 11:10 am »
 I had a look at their site, interesting, thanks for the heads up. can I ask you a few more questions about it as I proceed?

Mr C aa

nope, sorry, your quota for questions has awreddy been filled...   :lol:

to post foto's, load them into a gallery you can create for yourself, then paste the links using the foto link tool in your thread reply options.

doug s.

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2009, 06:42 pm »
I have a Linn also, since 1979, has been "modded" by the dealer little by little: Trampolin1, Lingo2, Rega RB600, Linn Adikt, Cirkus. Further mods would take me into BIG BIG bucks, like the new Keel subchassis and a 4500 dollar Linn EKOS SE arm! So, instead I bought a VPI HW19 MkIII which (I hope) will be easier to play with. For now, I'll keep the Linn the way it is (yeah, right!).

I sold my Lingo1 to an AC member recently and had a motor question (50 v. 60 Hz) that was answered on VinylEngine.com. His dealer wanted 300 to install the Lingo so he asked about doing it himself. But in doing a bunch of Google searches ("pics of Linn Lingo," "Linn upgrade DIY," etc.) I didn't really come up with any good step by step threads. Maybe there's a secret website somewhere that someone here can share.

In a technically unrelated but similar vein: 2 years ago I got a 914 Porsche (I only have one right now but it's my fourth). It had a brand new ignition switch that happened to be faulty and had to be replaced. Wouldn't you know there were two websites with step-by-step picture-by-picture hand holding descriptions of how to do it? Two hours later I was back on the road. With thousands of Linns sold...well, you get the idea.

Paul

Paul

Mr Content

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2009, 07:10 am »
Hi Paul, go on mod the Linn again......... :icon_lol:

Yea it seems to be a closed culture about extensively modding the linn's,....or even showing you anything under the hood.
I might have to set a trend here, as I cant find anyone else that has done what I am wanting to do. O well I be a pioneer again :thumb:
Hey show us a pic of your Porsche

Mr C aa

Mr Content

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2009, 07:11 am »

Mr C aa

nope, sorry, your quota for questions has awreddy been filled...   :lol:

to post foto's, load them into a gallery you can create for yourself, then paste the links using the foto link tool in your thread reply options.

doug s.

Thanks for the info Doug

Nig

orthobiz

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2009, 03:52 am »
Hey show us a pic of your Porsche

Mr C aa

BTW, the linn.co.uk site says there's ANOTHER round of improvements: something to replace the Lingo AND a new phono stage!!!!

Meanwhile, I just got a used Primare R20, hooked up my Linn and it sounds pretty damn good!!!

Paul

Mr Content

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2009, 04:22 am »
Beautiful Paul, really nice car  :drool:

Mr C

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:35 am »
Thanks, and this is a frivolous post:

Is it Mr. Content, like containing lots of good info
or Mr. Content, like you're satisfied?

Paul

Mr Content

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:51 am »
Hi Paul..........good question. :scratch:

No not really, it is "Mr Content", as I have had the same speaker for 3 years now, so I am content with what I have, and generally with my lot in life  :thumb:

Mr C aa