VMPS Sub amplifier.

cactusjack

VMPS Sub amplifier.
« on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:45 am »
Is there anywhere that I can get some info on the subwoofer amplifier and crossover. I just acquired a VMPS large sub and need an amplifier and crossover. There does not seem to be much info on this product.  I cannot find much more than a small blurb here or on the website. I was wondering if it was in a brochure or perhaps somewhere on the web that could take a look at one and see how they ae working out. If you have one let me know how it is working for you.

mjosef

Re: VMPS Sub amplifier.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:59 am »

This is the easiest way to get going, 1000w.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-810

cactusjack

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:58 am »
Mjosef
Thanks, the Dayton unit looks like a super way to get my sub up and working. Is this the same amp that VMPS sells? That was the amp I was originally inquiring about. I just picked up the sub this weekend and It is in really nice shape. It has the soundcoat and Megawoofers. it has a few minor scratches but they should be easy to touch up. I am ready as soon as I get a crossover/amp. Would like to hear how others are running their large subs. Please let me know!
Thanks
Jack

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 05:08 pm »
If you don't have an active crossover to bring the sub into your mains, that Parts Express amp is the best value deal.  You can get more room EQ with Velodyne amp but they cost a lot more.  The PE amp has built in variable lowpass frequency, gain control and 1 channel of EQ with variable Q.  Good stuff -- I have 4, one on each subwoofer.  :thumb:

Brax

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2009, 10:01 pm »
The Parts express amp looks pretty good.......If your looking for more power, I suggest a Pro style amp. I run a Crown CE2000. It's 1950 watts @ 4 ohms in bridged mode. The things built like a tank. Just a word of caution, the fans in these pro amps can get loud. I have my amps in the basement so it doesn't bother me in the livingroom.

cactusjack

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2009, 12:39 pm »
A fellow club member  here in Houston was kind enough to loan me a 500 watt version of the Dayton 1000 so I could give it a try. Per the speaker instructions I left my mains playing normally.  I paralleled both inputs on the sub and fed right and left preamp inputs directly into the amp. The current position of the sub is in the middle between the mains. It took a while to adjust the level and crossover and I left the passive radiator dampening where the previous owner had found it best. The FF-1's are no slouch in the bass department but I was really amazed at what the sub added to the music. I have the crossover set somewhere around 30-40 hertz and the gain is just barely cracked towards open. This setting really allows the sub to blend with the full range feeding of the FF-1's. Another impressive product from VMPS. I feel that the 500 watts into the sub is more than adequate for my trial so far. I guess I would like to hear form others if I really need the 1000 watt version. Both are on sale right now.
Thanks
Jack

chipperman

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2009, 04:51 pm »
I have a 215 sub with the VSS driver and passive upgrade, and another on order. The amp is the built in 1000 watt version. This is used in a 5.1 system (all VMPS), and I have the gain set at about 1/4 of the way around. Setting at half produces overpowering energy and the beginning of distortion, not to mention eardrum rupture. This is a very eficient system. More reserve power is great, but maybe it isn't needed for most people. My room is 16 x 19 x 10. Because the room modes seem to occur at more than one frequency, the onboard parametric can't sove it all. I would like to really work on the room, but wife constraints preclude too much of that, so....

SVS subwooofers joined with Audyssey to develop a unit specifically for subwoofers, that has more bass processing than the Pro model Audyssey unit, and of course any OEM unit in a prepro or receiver. I have one of the first production on order. The results look impressive, and I've talked with Ron Stimpson of SVS and an engineer at Audyssey about it. They are really excited. One thing that attracted me to this solution is the ability to correct two subs independently. I am waiting for delivery, and will give everyone a report when I am set up.

cactusjack

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2009, 03:07 pm »
I purchased the Dayton 500 watt plate amp and built a wood box to hold it. I got the unit placed and tuned and wow it really makes a difference. It is incredible how little it seem to add when you just listen to the sub and amplifier but makes quite a bit of difference when integrated with my FF-1's. The sub is really awesome just as I have come to expect from VMPS products. I have noticed a difference with acoustical music that a lot of experts claim is the result of having only only one sub and feeding both channels into one amp. My next step will be to add another amp and drive the 12 with left channel and the 15 with the right. Like to hear of anone that is doing this. Eventually I will want another large sub.
Thanks for all of the input

ricmon

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2009, 08:46 pm »
If you don't have an active crossover to bring the sub into your mains, that Parts Express amp is the best value deal.  You can get more room EQ with Velodyne amp but they cost a lot more.  The PE amp has built in variable lowpass frequency, gain control and 1 channel of EQ with variable Q.  Good stuff -- I have 4, one on each subwoofer.  :thumb:

Rem I really got to make some time to come over to your place to hear your system.

Ric   :thumb: