Anyone ever try the Sprague ...

Laudanum

« on: 11 Dec 2003, 07:28 pm »
735P series in critical signal locations ?  I think it's a film and foil met. polypropylene type.  They available in higher values (up to 4uf I think) and are more expensive that the 715 and 716's and something like the Solens but far less than Hovlands, Auri's  etc.
I've read of them mentioned on other forums but no details.  Wondering if anyone has used them and can comment on their sonics?
Mouser does sell them.

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2003, 03:21 am »
I have some 1 and 2 uF I picked up on a whim. I havn't ever tried them tho, maybe I need to dig them up and see how they sound. :)

Tone Deaf

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2003, 08:34 am »
I used 716P for C5 and 715p for C7, but haven't made any comparisons by swapping them for anything else.

Mine were 600v ones, & a bit too big for their spaces on the Cornet board, but the leads are long & thick so they can be creatively positioned!

Romy the Cat

Re: Anyone ever try the Sprague ...
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2003, 03:48 pm »
Quote from: Laudanum
735P series in critical signal locations ?  I think it's a film and foil met. polypropylene type.  They available in higher values (up to 4uf I think) and are more expensive that the 715 and 716's and something like the Solens but far less than Hovlands, Auri's  etc.
I've read of them mentioned on other forums but no details.  Wondering if anyone has used them and can comment on their sonics?
Mouser does sell them.

The top of the line Vishy-Sprague are quite good but thay are good only in context of the large values (if you need to couple for instance 10-20 uf) There are some more interesting cups (Cubes 950) but good luck to find them over 10 uf. If you are still in the “typical” 1-3 uf then Vishy-Sprague slightly loosing it’s attractiveness to other caps (RTX for instance). However, the Solens and  Hovlands must not be used in coupling application under any circumstances.  Also, if you have a REALY serious and REALY capable acoustic system (most of the people I have seen around here do not)  then the 50 old Sprague Vitamin Q might be a standing cup to use at the speaker level.

Rgs,
Romy the Cat

Laudanum

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2003, 08:53 pm »
I understand where you're coming from.  There are plenty of folks that use the Orange Drops .... 715P and/or 716P for every applicable application.  They sound quite nice for cost considerations.  I'm very much in the same boat, when I can come to afford the kits, I certainly cannot afford the botique parts.   On the solens and hovlans for coupling applications .... plenty of people use them .... atleast I know of plenty who have used the Solens, again, out of cost considerations.

chasmo

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2008, 07:42 am »
Just noticed this...
I have used the Sprague 735P's and they are definitely metallized film. They sound good in loudspeaker crossovers(better than Solen and Dayton, but not as good as Auricaps and Hovlands).

link:
http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/7/3/5/735P_VishaySiliconix.pdf.html

-chas

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2008, 05:23 am »
I used the 715 ot 716 in the CLARION amplifier.  Not bad.  But I think I was asking too much of them.  They were used to coupled to the grids of 2A3 in SET.  I think a foil cap would have been more appropriate, but I kept the design limited to parts available from AES. 

jh