Media Players on the cheap . . .

albee

Media Players on the cheap . . .
« on: 18 Mar 2009, 06:46 pm »
I'm interested in the Western Digital WD or the Free Agent Theater (released yet?).  My main purpose will be to put most of my music on disk for two channel listening.

Has anybody heard either of these?  Do you know what kind of DAC and Op Amps are used?  I know the WD has optical output and the FA will use coax.  This will be the primary way I will feed my receiver (Panasonic).  I was curious about the analog output as well.

The WD can be had for $100 but I'm not sure if the Free Agent is loose on the market yet...I'm interested.

TIA for any info you have.   :wink:

albee

Re: Media Players on the cheap . . .
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2009, 04:23 pm »
Ok, I got one:  Western Digital WD.  Really surprised at how clean and dynamic it sounds.  I may never play another CD again.

I'm loading wav files and using the optical out to a Panasonic digital receiver.  Sounds the best it ever has.  Even though I only got a 160 GB WD pocket drive I think it will be plenty of space for 130+ albums.  The WD has two serial ports so adding a second drive in no problem. 

The Seagate is not yet available locally and it uses a coax digital output but only has one serial port.  I'm giving point to the WD for two serials.

I did find a "test report" of the WD and they listed it as having a SIGMA dac.  Not familiar...anybody know these?