iPod directly into Amp?

BikeWNC

iPod directly into Amp?
« on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:48 pm »
Can I just plug the RCA output of my iPod nano into my amp and use the volume control on the iPod?   If so, then could I also use the analog output of an Airport Express directly into an amp using the volume on my MacBook?  I don't have an extra preamp laying around though I do have a really old JVC receiver I suppose I could use if I had to.  Thanks.

Andy

low.pfile

Re: iPod directly into Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2009, 12:05 am »
I wouldn't do it. 

I am not sure which Nano you have, but I have 2 ipods, a 3G and a touch, I recall that the volume default is 50%. Some models may have volume memory, so if the volume happens to be near max when connected - BAM. That you could damage your speakers. Volume changes very quickly on an ipod.

Also the 3.5mm headphone connector (if you are using a 3.5mm headphone to RCA audio cable) could come loose and cause a pop sound. Another issue is the sound quality using the headphone out....a docked iPod is much better since it bypasses the internal ipod amp.  Wait, with a dock the ipod volume is fixed, since it is at line level signal....you would need a pre-amp. Though the SQ is still better with a dock, than through headphone jack.

The macbook may be a bit safer, but still risky, with a direct connection to a power amp. With that method you would have both the iTunes volume and system volume to use as control. If you try, be very careful.

cheers,
ed

ton1313

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2009, 12:55 am »
Used that technique with an Ipod classic and a pair of flying mole mono amps. Worked just fine with a 16' Zu Pivot cable. The pop could be heard when pluggin in, but it was not very loud. Used it in the configuration for over 1 year and never had any other volume issues. The only reason I dont use this is that I switched out to an integrated amp.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2009, 01:10 am »
As has been mentioned.................be careful. Fried coils are not a sight, or smell, to experience. If you go this route, just make sure the amp is off before hookup and watch the iPod's/AEx's output level before powering on.

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2009, 04:48 am »
If I use the iPod it will be with a tube amp that has a standby/mute switch so i can put the amp into standby when plugging in and check the volume.  I have a Zu Pivot cable too BTW.

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:38 pm »
well, of course it won't work with any Nano, but this is an intriguing gadget - wireless from your iPod / Phone to audio system(s)

anyone have experience?

http://www.audioengineusa.com/aw2_home.php

Take a look at the powered speakers as well

Crimson

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2009, 09:53 pm »
well, of course it won't work with any Nano, but this is an intriguing gadget - wireless from your iPod / Phone to audio system(s)

anyone have experience?

http://www.audioengineusa.com/aw2_home.php

Take a look at the powered speakers as well

I have a pair of the A2s hooked up to an iMac. They sound great and are built like a tank.