Synecdoche, NY (Can't believe this)

ajzepp

Synecdoche, NY (Can't believe this)
« on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:15 pm »
I am a HUGE Phillip Seymour Hoffman fan...the guy is an amazing actor and I will see anything he's in. That being said, I am an hour into this film and am really having to resist the urge to stop watching and send it back (something I rarely do). The acting is fine, it's just that the overall mood of the film is not allowing me to really "get" most of what Charlie Kaufman is trying to do here. I find the whole thing quite disturbing, to be honest...

Here's my update at the 1:22 mark..."what in the HELL is this film...."  (still hanging in there, though)

Okay, that's it...at 1:43 I'm turning this off.

low.pfile

Re: Synecdoche, NY (Can't believe this)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2009, 06:09 pm »
ajzepp
we must be dopplegangers....I watched synecdonche last night too around the same time. Yep I agree it was a very intricate premise. But I did watch the whole thing. Did I get it? I am not sure. Did it make me think? Yep...mucho. Also a fan of PSH.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2009, 06:39 pm »
Looks interesting, I'm gonna give it a try.
But given the players involved you had to know you were in for something challenging.

guest48077

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2009, 07:34 pm »
As an Actor PSH is one of the best, as a writer Kaufman is one of the best. I think this film deserves at least a second viewing to understand it more. Just like Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation, these films are better in the 4 or 5th viewing  (IMO)

guest48077

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2009, 07:35 pm »
I have noooooo Clue why the house is always on Fire?  :scratch:

mikef

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2009, 09:33 pm »
When this movie was in theaters, I read a glowing review in the NY Times and couldn't wait to see it, also being a big Phillip Seymour Hoffman fan, and generally a lover of art films. My wife and I hated it - I wanted to walk out, but my wife wanted to see the end. I found the whole idea ridiculous, and the motivation of the characters completely unbelievable. I must have checked my watch 30 times during the last half of the movie.

For a PSH film that I enjoyed more, check out The Savages from 2007, with Laura Linney.

Mike Fox

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2009, 03:16 am »
When this movie was in theaters, I read a glowing review in the NY Times and couldn't wait to see it, also being a big Phillip Seymour Hoffman fan, and generally a lover of art films. My wife and I hated it - I wanted to walk out, but my wife wanted to see the end. I found the whole idea ridiculous, and the motivation of the characters completely unbelievable. I must have checked my watch 30 times during the last half of the movie.

For a PSH film that I enjoyed more, check out The Savages from 2007, with Laura Linney.

Mike Fox

The Savages was excellent. So was Love Liza. So was Before the Devil Knows Youre Dead...I love everything PSH has ever done except this. I hated this film  :duh: