SW-12-08 sandbox

Stereodude

Re: SW-12-08 sandbox
« Reply #40 on: 15 Apr 2009, 08:51 pm »
So what is the deal with the sandbox?

The idea is to increase the mass of the box to a point where the driver can not exert enough energy to induce any sort of resonance in the box.

That's mainly why MDF is popular for subs and speakers.  It's easily machinable and it's pretty dense.  This means you can build boxes that are very hard to induce resonance in due to their mass.  The result is a cheap but heavy box.

Another approach is to use something like a void free baltic birch.  BB is much lighter and much more stiff.  This yields a box that has points of resonance at rather high frequencies.  In the case of a sub these frequencies aren't present in the content, so they're not induced.  The result here is a more expensive, but lighter and more durable box.

dvenardos

« Reply #41 on: 15 Apr 2009, 08:55 pm »
Seth,
What are you using for your dual, MDF or Baltic Birch ply? I understand the submersive uses birch in the opposing driver configuration that you are building.

Don

Stereodude

« Reply #42 on: 15 Apr 2009, 08:59 pm »
Seth,

What are you using for your dual, MDF or Baltic Birch ply? I understand the submersive uses birch in the opposing driver configuration that you are building.

Don

I used MDF for mine.  The box is all glued together, but I need to do some prep work to the box before I can contact cement the high gloss black Formica laminate to it.  I guess I will end up using Bondo though I haven't quite decided.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #43 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:33 am »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:20 pm by EARGASM »

Cacophonix

« Reply #44 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:50 am »
I wish the gallery was working,  :x, I have some pix of the sandbox I did for Paul...

You can use photobucket and link it here. Also i was able to upload to the AC gallery .... http://archive.audiocircle.com/gallery/index.php See if it'll work for you.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jun 2009, 05:15 am »
Removed by member.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jun 2009, 07:18 am »
If you want, you can email to me and I'll put them straight up, stevenkelby@hotmail.com

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jun 2009, 03:26 pm »
Removed by member.

dvenardos

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jun 2009, 04:14 pm »
Nice job Eric.  :thumb:

madpoet

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm »
Trust me... the pleasure is ALL mine :)  This thing is just downright amazing.  I will never, ever upgrade again (and not just because I think my house has a better chance of falling down than of me actually getting to move it).  Seriously, if anyone is ever questioning whether to do this the anser is HELL YES.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jun 2009, 02:42 pm »
I was just about to take you up on your offer, Steven. Thank you!

No worries Eric :)

I bet that sub sounds spectacular! May have to build one if the Venue doesn't satisfy  :lol:

PS, just sent you an email :)

madpoet

« Reply #51 on: 14 Jun 2009, 11:05 pm »
Spent the weekend listening to it... very, very nice.  It's amazing how different music especially can sound.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #52 on: 18 Jun 2009, 03:07 am »
So what is the deal with the sandbox?

The idea is to increase the mass of the box to a point where the driver can not exert enough energy to induce any sort of resonance in the box.

That's mainly why MDF is popular for subs and speakers.  It's easily machinable and it's pretty dense.  This means you can build boxes that are very hard to induce resonance in due to their mass.  The result is a cheap but heavy box.
The increase of bracing is to stiffen the box to prevent the panels from resonating. By breaking up the panels into smaller sections with bracing, their resonant frequency jumps up tremendously, and hopefully, out of the passband.

Mass is the ONLY thing that works effectively at preventing the transmission of low frequencies.

Another approach is to use something like a void free baltic birch.  BB is much lighter and much more stiff.  This yields a box that has points of resonance at rather high frequencies.  In the case of a sub these frequencies aren't present in the content, so they're not induced.  The result here is a more expensive, but lighter and more durable box.
Baltic Birch is only about 15 to 20% lighter. Any inherent stiffness advantage it may have, is rendered negligible in a well braced enclosure. Bracing is the key. Mass loading, decoupling, thermal dissipation and resonance control are the other main things that add tremendous performance gains. Sand does all three very effectively, and inexpensively.

FYI, typical sands seem to take up about 17-19 cuin per pound, or 90-100 lbs per cuft.

To give you an idea on how quickly the mass adds up...

I had this custom stand welded up. It weighed 50 lbs when I got it. After filling with sand, it weighed over 80.

Cheers

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #53 on: 18 Jun 2009, 03:54 pm »
Mass is the ONLY thing that works effectively at preventing the transmission of low frequencies.

Well, let's not overlook CLD, which also works effectively to control resonance.

-Tony