Would someone recommend a good equalizer?

ebenai

Would someone recommend a good equalizer?
« on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:09 am »
Would some one recommend a good equalizer.  I used Harbeth monitor 30 and rel Strata III subwoofer. Room is 14 x 10 x 9 and fairly well treated (I think). For GIK bass traps, 3 GIK panels (one at each first reflection point and one in the ceiling, bookcases, carpet, curtains, etc.  I measured frequency response before and after treatment and still have significant anomalies. I have attached a representative graph.  I would like to keep the cost below 1,000.

ebenai

Re: Would someone recommend a good equalizer?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:17 am »
I apologize. I need to figure out how to attach the graph. The insert image button does not work.

sendler

DEQ2496 Digital EQ
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:09 am »
Running digital in/ digital out with a Behringer DEQ2496 is pretty transparent. Or have it modified and get a great new dac as well. Accurate in room measurements are difficult to get though. It's best to let the measurements only serve as a guidline with the final tuning by ear.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BEHDEQ2496

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:35 pm »
Room is 14 x 10 x 9 and fairly well treated (I think) ... I would like to keep the cost below 1,000.

The best thing you can do with that $1,000 is give it to Glenn Kuras at GIK and get more bass traps. That will do far more to improve the low frequency response in your room than any equalizer. Need more convincing? See this:

Audyssey Report

--Ethan

ebenai

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2009, 07:35 pm »
Some of the anomalies I'm talking about are as expected in the 20-200 Hz range.  I measured things before and after placing the traps and saw very little change.  I'm not sure that more will do the trick. The other problem is that I don't have much physical space available to treat the walls.  I wish I could post some pics but the attachment menu is gone (if I ever had one?)

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2009, 08:20 pm »
There are some things we can work out with treatments and some that are more difficult (like things in the 20-40Hz range).  If it's down there, an EQ might be a better option for you in terms of pure frequency response.

Just understand that it sounds like you have 242 panels which are not designed as bass treatments and you also have them in places which aren't typically best suited to addressing bass problems.  I'd be happy to take a look at what you have and the layout and make some recommendations. 

Bryan

ebenai

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2009, 04:39 am »
Thanks Bryan:

I actually have 4 244. 3 behind the speakers. One in the center of the from wall and two straddling the corner about 1.5 feet from the ceiling. In addition there are 3 242's. The 242's are at the first reflection points laterally and ceiling and then there is an additional 244 in the back wall.  Should the ones in the from wall (behind the speakers) be lower down?  Perhaps directly behind the monitors?  I just don't have much more room left that the reason why I asked for equalizer recommendations.

Thanks

Elie

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:40 pm »
I'm not sure that more will do the trick.

Bryan gave you good advice. With bass traps, more is always better. It's all about surface coverage. Plus where you put them of course. Most bass traps are 8 square feet, versus hundreds of square feet of reflecting surface in domestic size rooms. With enough thick traps you can see real improvements as low as 40 Hz and sometimes even 30 Hz.

--Ethan