I realy need a lot of help with this one

auron

I realy need a lot of help with this one
« on: 13 Mar 2009, 12:18 am »
I need help designing a crossover (3 way?) for a speaker project and my design calls for 2 boxes in each contain (1) 15" sub (2) 5 " (1) 4" and (1) 1" tweeter I will not change my design because i know what i want to build but I need help with this one
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 04:26 am by auron »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: I realy need a lot of help with this one
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:22 am »
Let me get this right.  You want help with a 4 way speaker crossover with no flexibility on the drivers.  You don't list the drivers.  :scratch: Even if a pro would probably struggle with this for between 8 to 40 hours. :o If you have $500-$2k hire some the elite talent around here to do this for you. I suggest that you rethink your goals and perhaps consider a kit or copying somebody's tested design.  Sorry to be negative, but it sound like you don't quite realize just how much you are asking.  If you are new to this try something less complex. Your chances of success are infinitely greater.  After a building a couple of manageable projects, then move on to something more complex. 

auron

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:29 am »
Goldwood GM-85/8 5" Heavy Duty Sealed Back Midrange 8 Ohm

Bullet Horn Super Tweeter Pair Aluminum

Goldwood GW-4028/S 4" Woofer Shielded

Dayton DC380-8 15" Classic Woofer 

tweeters are

Specifications: *Power handling: 60 watts RMS/120 watts peak *VCdia: 1" *Impedance: 4 ohms *Frequency response: 2,000-25,000 Hz *SPL: 93 dB 1W/1m *Magnet weight: 20 oz. *Dimensions: 3-3/4" diameter x 1-1/2" depth. 
3-3/4" aluminum bullet horn with 1" super tweeter
Ferrofluid cooled voice coil
Includes crossover capacitor
Natural aluminum color (also available in black)
Sold in pairs 

4" are

These drivers feature a poly-mica cone, 1" voice coil, and rubber surround, making them great for small home theater projects. With an extremely small stray magnetic field, they can be used very close to CRT-based monitors. Specifications: *Power handling: 40 watts RMS/70 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Le: .23 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 7.1 ohms *Frequency range: 80-6,000 Hz *Fs: 83 Hz *SPL: 84 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: .07 cu. ft. *Xmax: 1.5 mm *Qms: 2.40 *Qes: .97 *Qts: .69 *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 4-3/8", Cutout Diameter: 3-3/4", Mounting Depth: 2-3/4".

5" are

Sealed back midrange eliminates need for separate midrange enclosure. Features poly-mica cone, treated foam surround, and aluminum voice coil for higher power handling. *Power handling: 40 watts RMS/55 watts max *Voice coil diameter: 1" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 800-8,000 Hz *Fs: 470 Hz *SPL: 89 dB 1W/1m *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 5-1/8", Cutout Diameter: 4-1/8", Mounting Depth: 2-1/2", Magnet Diameter: 3-1/8", Magnet Height: 3/4".

and the 15" is

The Dayton Classic 15" woofer is excellent as a replacement driver or for new system design and construction. The versatile set of parameters makes it suitable for sealed or vented enclosure designs. With impressive bass performance and smooth overall response, it is an excellent choice for any DIY three-way loudspeaker project. Specifications: * Power handling: 100 watts RMS/150 watts max * VCdia: 2" * Le: 3.34 mH * Impedance: 8 ohms * Re: 6.5 ohms * Frequency range: 20-1,500 Hz * Fs: 22 Hz * SPL: 92.8 dB 1W/1m * Vas: 10.80 cu. ft. * Qms: 3.52 * Qes: .39 Qts: .35 * Xmax: 4.35mm * Dimensions: A: 15", B: 14", C: 6-3/8". 
Treated paper cone provides smooth response and low energy storage
Aluminum former, vented pole piece, and porous dustcap for high power handling
Large diameter flat spider and healthy Xmax for clean bass 

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:31 am »
Hi auron, welcome to AC. Are you building something like this:

Or two sub cabinets with a modified MTM cabinet on top of each one?

Do you have your drivers yet? Salk makes the Songtowers that use a couple of 5" drivers and has a frequency response down to 42 Hz. Adding a Song Sub with a 15" driver makes for a truly full range system, so pairing 5" drivers with a 15" woofer can be done successfully. That said not many speaker designers would try to out do Cerwin Vega. Good luck with your project.

Wayne

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:16 pm »
The question should probably be asked: Why do you want to use a 15" woofer? How big is your listening room?

Have you looked at the Parts Express site? They sell completed 3-way crossovers.

They also have speaker and crossover design books and software if you want to build your own.
http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm

Check out the Parts Express DIY Projects
http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/projectindex.cfm

Madisound has a crossover design service, for $40 they will design a 3-way for your drivers.
http://www.madisound.com/services/leap.php

Oscillate

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2009, 06:40 pm »
How about bi-amplifying?
Power & adjust the frequency response of the 15" subwoofer by itself and then use a 3-way cross-over for the rest.

werd

werd

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2009, 07:16 pm »
Build it in two parts though, put the sub in a seperate box and have the mids and highs and triangular box that sits on top. Keep the crossovers out the boxes and use a 24 db steep crossover. Just a suggestion
gl

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2009, 07:22 pm »
Does your cabinet design factor in volume and/or porting? Do that first before crossover. Do yourself a favor and buy a couple books about speaker design. It will make the job more fun and the results more enjoyable. It is the most complex aspect of audio engineering, there is a lot to learn. Speaker design software can help you pull together an amateur design, some are free.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=500-035
http://www.trueaudio.com/ild_rev1.htm
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=500-030