Zu speakers

Kimo

Zu speakers
« on: 12 Mar 2009, 10:03 pm »
I have seen some conflicting information regarding Zu speakers and whether or not they make their own drivers or use Eminence and APT drivers.

The following link seems to clear this up.  Maybe it was cleared up along time ago and I was just reading old information.  It show pictures of driver construction from the Zu factory.

Not many speaker companies make their own drivers.  This is impressive.  Definitely, makes me consider an audition.

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=177239

04dgmsilv

Re: Zu speakers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2009, 10:28 pm »
Not sure what the intent of your post is exactly, but as a Druid owner I am aware that at least at one point the drivers started as B102s built by Eminence (I've had them apart to upgrade to Mk4/08).  My understanding is that Zu then mods/tweaks them.  If your worried about the $$$ side of things, I think all of us on here who have dabbled in DIY understand there is a lot of money made in speakers and cables and there is not always a direct correlation from raw parts to retail price!!  Zu's are not for everyone, but you owe it to yourself to give a listen and make your own judgments.

Plink

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:55 am »
Not many speaker companies make their own drivers.  This is impressive.  Definitely, makes me consider an audition.

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=177239

I don't remember anyone telling you that Zu makes their own drivers (not that I think it is an important issue).

Kimo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:13 am »
You are kidding, right?  Check the Lowther thread and read the whole Zu thread.

wilsynet

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2009, 04:55 am »

For those of us who haven't read either thread and are too lazy to create an account on stevehoffman.tv and even if we did, don't want to read the *whole* Zu thread and try to correlate that with whatever it is that may or may not have been said in the Lowther thread ...

Could you summarize?

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2009, 05:01 am »

That thread has apparantly disappeared.

Kimo

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:41 am »
Well, someone started a thread requesting information about single driver speakers.  Another poster jumped in with a recommendation for Zu.  I am not sure why, given we were talking about crossover less designs, but I suppose the Zu speakers specs are close to many single driver offerings, so there you go.

I mentioned that I understood Zu to use off the shelf drivers.  The other poster jumped on me claiming Zu builds their own and that he had been to the factory and seen it.  He even posted pics purporting to show the Zu guys building their own drivers.  Well, given some of the controversy surrounding this, I thought if a company really is building their own drivers, well that is great.  That is the kind of good information that should come out. I mean we had factory pictures and all.

Well, as it turns out that the b102 and APT may in fact be part of the design, as opposed to custom built drivers.  That whole discussion turned toward the veracity of certain posters and their underlying motives.  I actually I turned it there, but it wasn't like there was not good cause.  There really is no need to pick that up here, however.

So, the Zu issue remains somewhat unsettled I suppose.  Although, I am most inclined to believe the first responder here over any other poster that I have seen on the issue. 

capace

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2009, 02:24 am »
Hello. I used to work for Zu. The driver is made by eminance, but with some of Zu's own specs as I recall. Also, they do some modifications at the shop.

Eminance is one of those companies that you can get custom drivers and don't have to buy a huge lot to do so. When I mean huge and I meant thousands. I beither it is more int he order of a few hundred.

And yes I believe it was based off of the b102, but again with certain specs / paramater changed. So not a from the ground up start from scratch driver.

that being said. they sound nice, but I have heard better, and for less. Well, at least in my opinion :).

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2009, 06:05 am »
that being said. they sound nice, but I have heard better, and for less. Well, at least in my opinion :).

when you say this are you referring to the driver or the speaker (Zu)?
Have you heard the Tekton Uruz?

capace

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:12 pm »
Hi. I am reffering the the driver. :)  As for the tekton Uruz, I have not heard that speaker. But I've heard many of Tektons other speakers, and if they are any indication. Tekton Design really know's their stuff. 

On an interesting side note. You might notice that the Uruz uses the same ribbon tweeter as the new Zu Druid. I've confirmed this with tekton.  You might want to give them a call. They could answer the questions better then I can.  Also :) did you know the the sale on the Uruz. Very nice price when compared with the druid.

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2009, 11:16 pm »
shill alert

capace

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2009, 12:16 am »
shill alert

Your opinion I guess :(. I'm not say that Zu has bad speakers, I'm just saying that there are others that may merrit more attention for the price. And not just tekton.   

I will say that Zu has an incredible paint facility, and their gloss finishes are next to none. That definatley add to the cost. But again just my humble opinion. Sound being subjective and all.