center channel-vertical vs horizontal

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« on: 10 Dec 2003, 01:13 am »
Is anyone using a center channel in a vertical array vs a horizontal????(like behind a screen).

Notice any major differences????

Larry

witchdoctor

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2004, 04:24 am »
Absolutely major differences. For the best result get an identical speaker to your front left and right channels. If you must use a center channel stand it up vertically. Only use it lying down as a last resort.
One listen is all you'll need Tom Nousaine wrote an article about this in I believe the old Audio magazine. The D'appolito array was not the way to listen to both suuround audio and HT but a way to compromise the limitations of a smaller speaker laying sideways. DON"T DO IT!!!

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2004, 10:35 pm »
Or design or buy a center that uses a vertical mid-tweeter array :D

lkosova

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2004, 03:18 am »
Mike,

then why not just use a vertical center so  it is equal with the front left and right and on the same plane???

Larry

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2004, 12:23 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
Mike,

then why not just use a vertical center so  it is equal with the front left and right and on the same plane???

Larry

Larry:

Nothing wrong with that except a tall center won't "fit" in most systems. See my posting in
Center Channel with additional midrange unit (such as ACI)
Thanks!

lkosova

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2004, 06:25 am »
Thanks Mike,

BTW- I am at CES and your DHLAB BUDDIES say hi!!

Larry.
...they have some interesting things coming up.

scooter

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2004, 08:54 am »
I have a cenbter channel that is vertical with a stewart THX screen. I use Meridian 5500's across the front including the center. The 861 sound processor knows to lift the upper frequencies by around a db to compensate for the screen. I have a perfect sound field across front and would highly recommend using a vertical center. I have also listened to the horizontal version of the 5500, it is no contest the vertical wins.

Note that all my front speakers are also at identical heights as well this also helps.

eichlerera1

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2004, 01:42 pm »
Another suggestion. I use two speakers (KEF 105's) located on both sides of my Plasma TV. I split the center channel mono signal  sending each lead to an outboard stereo amp. Then I send the two outputs to the speakers.
I get GREAT center sound!
                                                                           Paul G

wireburn

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2004, 08:20 pm »
If your speakers soundstage well the best center channel can be NO center channel (phantom).

-Mike

eichlerera1

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2004, 08:26 pm »
Wireburn:
                 Interesting idea. Has anyone tried this with a resulting improvement in sound/soundstage?
                                                                                Paul G

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:24 am »
Quote from: wireburn
If your speakers soundstage well the best center channel can be NO center channel (phantom).

-Mike

Mike:

There is a lot of truth to this. For a centered listener, phantom center can work extremely well. The further you sit off center, the less solid will be that center image. I personally prefer a phantom center to a less than great "hard" center.  The best to me, is using a really good center that matches the mains well.