Technics SL1200 tonearm/wire replacement

BikeWNC

Technics SL1200 tonearm/wire replacement
« on: 10 Mar 2009, 05:56 pm »
I replaced the RCA interconnects, soldered in a Zu Audio Xaus set a while ago but haven't done anything with the tonearm wire itself.  For those that have can you say it made a big or noticeable difference?  Did you replace the whole arm with one that was already rewired or do it yourself?  I bought the Cardas wires some time back but it seemed like a tedious job and haven't tried it. 

Andy

AudioSoul

Re: Technics SL1200 tonearm/wire replacement
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2009, 08:15 pm »

I replaced the wire in my 1210 with Cardas. I was tedious but fairly easy. You just have to have patience and move slowly. There are some pictures and instruction at Vinylengine.com. Just look in the Technics forum and do a search for Technics rewire. The problem I am having now is the Cardas wire is stiffer than the stock wire and towards the end of the Lp the arm sticks sometimes. It is a simple fix. I just have to reposition the wires, as I left plenty of slack. I had to wait till I was in the right mood to do it and everything went smoothly. It does make a big difference in sound quality.
It really brings that arm to the next level......IMHO 8)

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:07 am »
I saw that post on vinylengine.  It doesn't look like something I want to try after a couple beers for sure.   :nono:  I guess if I royally screw it up I can always buy a rewired replacement from KAB.  It just seems to me the current wire sounds a little closed in and I'm hoping the Cardas rewire will open it up (remove a veil).

AudioSoul

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2009, 05:04 am »

Thats the attitude to have. Anything can be fixed. It's amazing what one ft. of wire can have on a TT.
    Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions. There is a wealth of knowlege on this forum.... 8)

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:58 am »
I've had my Technics SL1200 MKII tonearm rewire (Cardas Litz) by Kevin for well over a year, maybe two.  The major effect, for me, is  more believable reproduction in that all the harmonics of an instrument are reproduced. 
A piano is a diffcult instrument to reproduce believably because of its great range and complex harmonics.  Since the rewire those qualities are rendered honestly.
As far as a closed in feel, I experienced that when I used a very low output cartridge and didn't have sufficient gain.

jonners

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2009, 09:11 pm »
Rewiring is worth doing IMO and not too difficult if you have patience. Googling 'Technics arm rewire' will give plenty of help.
A couple of tips:
 1.Keep the headshell on - it gives you a bit of leverage when you (gently!) remove the connector. It also acts as a heatsink when soldering the new wires onto the pins, and prevents the plastic melting.
 2.When soldering the new wires onto the old, make sure the joint is secure and that there are no projecting bits of wire or solder that can get caught up when pulling the new wires through.

pas

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2009, 09:43 pm »
I found this link on the Steve Hoffman Forum's.  I'll be doing mine in a few weeks.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=148792

nzera

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2009, 10:18 pm »
I've had a fully modded KAB Technics (no arm rewire) for the last 3 years, and have been pleased with its performance. I recently wanted to set up a TT in a second system and purchased a slightly used KAB Technics with the arm rewire.  Over the last few weeks I've been able to compare them side-by-side.  The rewire does make a significant improvement, and is much more noticeable with a better cartridge.  With a Zu DL103R MC cartridge through a Modwright phono pre, the benefits are clear- more lively, better overall dynamics, and greater resolution.  With the KAB "Groovemaster" cartridge (a moddified Stanton) the advantages were less clearcut.  Perhaps a slight increase in surface noise and reduced warmth with the Cardas rewire.  Although the stock wire is more forgiving, with good ancillaries the rewire is a worthwhile upgrade.