WTB a pair of bookshelf speakers for around $300

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
WTB a pair of bookshelf speakers for around $300
« on: 10 Mar 2009, 02:17 pm »
Looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my sister for around $300. Our location is Minneapolis.
Thanks.

Charles Calkins

Re: WTB a pair of bookshelf speakers for around $300
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2009, 03:10 pm »
I bought a pair of Dayton audio 2 way indoor/outdoor bookshelf speakers #10520W from parts express. Their catalog number is 310-069. Darn good speakers for $78. Try them you might like them. I do!

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2009, 03:49 pm »
These are great, but probably not as good of quality as you're capable of finding for three times the price.
But my wife and I love ours.
{Check out the various input options}  aa

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-M1-Active-320USB-Studio-Monitor-Pair?sku=600589

Bob

budyog

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:00 pm »
Thanks guys.
 I am sure she would want something with a wood grain cabinet because of the look in her living room. But thanks for the suggestions and I will keep them in mind.
They do not have to be new, looking for used too if anyone has a pair to sell.

JeffBrown

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:10 pm »
The complete kits from parts express now include completely assembled crossovers, making them about as easy to build as any modular furniture.  My sister easily put together the Dayton RS621CCK Speaker Kit in less then an hour.  I don’t think $340 will get you any better then this.

If you must have pre-assembled ready to listen to speakers, the Paradigm Atoms are pretty nice.

phil2dot6

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:14 pm »
I'm toying with the idea of selling my Onix X-ls in black satin for $150, if you're interested.

budyog

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:22 pm »
Tomorrow I will find out what receiver she has. I believe it is an old Panasonic/Techniques? and the maximum height/width and if she is OK with black or wants wood grain.
Thanks for all the ideas. Parts Express has some nice options!
One up!

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:24 pm »
How about Hsu monitors, from the same company who makes awesome subwoofers?  I have a pair of these in satin black, but they make several wood finishes also: http://hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

themailman

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:27 pm »
B,

I have a pair of Alon Napolean book shelf speakers that i will let go for $300.00 + shipping, very sweet and compact.    :D

alan

alphaiii

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2009, 06:16 pm »
Some options with real wood veneer:

Energy RC-10
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1ENRC10&variation=PCHE

AV123 ELT525M (they are worth full retail, but some of the sales have had these prices alot less than the $300 they're going for now)
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,193/category_id,51/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/
...You can get a much better price on the B-stock.
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,417/category_id,16/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/

Some options with vinyl faux wood grain:

Kef iQ1
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFIQ1DA/KEF/iQ1-2-Way-5.25-Bookshelf-Speakers-in-Dark-Apple-Pair/1.html

Energy C-100 (not as good as the RC-10, but still nice speakers and much cheaper)
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC100

I own the ELT525M (Rosewood) and the RC-10 (2 pair actually - Rosewood and Cherry), and both are very good sounding speakers, and very nice looking.  The ELT's aren;t very efficient, so keep that in mind...  The RC-10 normally retail for around $600, but since Klipsch is closing out Energy's non-black speakers, you can get the RC-10 in cherry/rosewood at a killer price right now - but they are disappearing quickly.  The RC-10 are a bit bigger, but much more efficient so they'll play louder.  Both are detailed speakers, but not in a bright or forward way at all - they are smooth sounding.  In fact, the RC-10's are commonly described as laid back.  The ELT's are pretty neutral - nice balance.  It'd be hard for me to pick a clear winner...

I did own the C-50 (little brother to the C-100), and they are great speakers for their size.  Also neutral, but the tweeters aren't as smooth as in the RC.

IronLion

« Reply #10 on: 10 Mar 2009, 06:19 pm »
I recommended the Audioengine A5's to a friend and he loves them.  Simple solution as they're self-powered. 

alphaiii

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2009, 06:26 pm »
And if gloss black is OK, here's another option:

NHT Absolute Zero
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1NHTAZ

Haven't heard them, but NHT has a good rep for quality speakers.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 10 Mar 2009, 07:25 pm »
Cheap black vinyl finish, but Ascend Acoustics put their money into the drivers/crossover.  The CBM-170's have very high content and musical value.  Image like champs, detailed yet very tuneful.  Well reviewed.

budyog

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2009, 02:35 pm »
I have a few more details. The receiver that will be driving them has 40 watts per channel. They cant be bigger then 12" or so high and 8" or so wide. Wood look is preferred but not mandatory.

The Energy RC-10 looks to be an interesting possibility.

Being that I am an ACI speaker owner and have been for many years and many models, if anyone has a set of small ACI's they want to part with, those I know I can recommend to my sister without hesitation!

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Now with this information, any more thoughts?

alphaiii

« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:37 pm »
Since the receiver is only 40wpc, I might scratch the ELT525M. 

I used them with an 18wpc integrated on my desktop, but this was nearfield.  Unless she wouldn't need them to play loud, or will have them in a small room - I don't think 40wpc is enough.

The RC-10's are much more efficient.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #15 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:47 pm »
I have a pair of Silverline Audio Minuets. $300 plus shipping if interested. I was using them with a M520 tube amp and they sound wonderful.
 I decided to put in my room some old vintage University cornerhorns so the Silverlines have to go.
 If interested please give a call at 847-255-1150.

Thanks,
 Bill

honesthoff

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2009, 07:41 pm »
I would look at Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's.  Great value.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 11 Mar 2009, 07:52 pm »
How about these Klipsch in Chicago for $350?

edit, I just realized this is a single center channel loudspeaker,,, how embarrassing. :oops:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2009, 04:45 pm by satfrat »

budyog

« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2009, 08:07 pm »
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I just made a deal with Bill on his Silverline Audio Minuets. These fit what my sister was looking for perfectly. Hopefully she will be happy!

I will let you know in a week or two when she has them hooked up for a while.

Take care and thanks again!
One-up!  :beer:

budyog

« Reply #19 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:05 pm »
I want to publicly send a Kudos to Bill at Morningstar Audio Imports. We made a deal on a pair of Silverline Audio "Minuets" for my sister. She sent him a check and he promptly sent the speakers to her. She says they are perfect and exactly what she had in mind. It is always a good thing when you can read someones mind!
I personally saw and heard them yesterday. Very nice speaker and very small!
Thanks Bill, Audio Circle and to all that have replied.
Have a good day.