Netbook or Duet?

BobC

Netbook or Duet?
« on: 7 Mar 2009, 06:37 pm »
So I've been thinking about a Duet.  Can get them now for what...$320 at Amazon?  But these Netbooks look nice too.  The Dell Mini 10 in particular for about $400.

Either one would likely be connected to an external DAC.  CA DacMagic maybe.

Any reason I couldn't use a Mini 10 as a music server?  It's got a 160GB HD and could hold my entire CD collection....or may be able to network with my home PC that holds all the files, pictures, etc.  Would probably use bdpoweramp and FLAC files.  Wouldn't have to worry about the wireless connection, could surf the web and take with me on trips.

What is the advantage of the Duet?  Cool remote control, ability to control multiple zones?  Is that it?

Thoughts?

Thanks, Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Netbook or Duet?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2009, 07:22 pm »
Hey Bob,
As far as I know, you're still going to need something on the other end of that wireless connection. The Mini 10 looks pretty cool (and it does have a wireless 802.11g card) but there still needs to be a "catcher" for your "pitcher" on your audio system. It lists an "audio out" jack, but that's probably something you don't want to mess with for the sake of quality.

With the Mini 10, there's no CD drive. So you'd have to import your tunes from elseware on your network.
There is a USB jack, but you'd have to be pretty close to your system to take advantage of it, and again, there's always the issue of needing a USB DAC in the system.

The advantage of the Duet is that it serves not only as the "catcher", but wirelessly connected to a PC with Squeezecenter, also serves as the "pitcher".

The Dell looks super cool, but may not do everything you need (conveniently).
Although, I do recall a thread somewhere from member "Scott F." titled something like "Using a laptop as a music server" or something similar.
I'll see if I can find it.

Hope that helps Bob,

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2009, 08:57 pm »
I guess it depends on how you prioritize.

I heard that there were wireless Duets being closed out at The Source for $150 in the Bolder Circle.

The Dell would be an actual PC, so if that capability is in anyway important for you, that is the only way to go.

How quiet is the Dell?

I do see USB inputs on the DACMagic, so you must be thinking of having the Dell next to/in the system in question.

Would you be against walking up to the PC to change the music?

Would a stock Duet sound good enough for you?

Could you combine the Duet with the DACMagic?  Could you spring for some Bolder mods?

Food for thought!

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2009, 09:30 pm »
Both ways *can* work great with following things to keep in mind.

Netbook

160 Gig may be enough for your CD collection now, but you'll probably run out of space quicker than you think.  I think the better way to go is with a Netbook with solid state memory (which are cheaper than the 160 Gig version) for less noise, less power requirement, faster drive, and (possibly) better sound quality.  You would put the OS and software on the SSD, and put your music collection on an outboard hard drive with its own power supply. 

Netbooks usually only have USB ports, so you would have to be comfortable using a USB DAC.  I myself would only use USB DAC's that run asynch USB protocol, i.e. Wavelength, upcoming Ayre.  Otherwise, you are better off sound-wise going with traditional spdif connection IME. 

Duet

It has coax and toslink output, so you can use an outboard DAC and not limited to USB DAC's.  However, for better results, you'll likely want the digital output stage modded to higher quality by the usual outfits. 

Personally, the huge advantage of these networked DAC's is the ability to bypass the imperfect spdif and USB connections by going through Wifi or hard-wired ethernet with proprietary asynch protocol.  To maximize this huge inherent advantage, I would personally tend not use Duet's spdif output but get the analogue output stage modded to use it as a standalone networked DAC.

Just my 2 Cents  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2009, 12:58 am »
160 Gig may be enough for your CD collection now, but you'll probably run out of space quicker than you think.
Ditto (big time).
Less than a year ago I had a 500Gb drive. I'm now in the middle of purchasing a 1.5 TB drive.
Your collection will grow faster than you may anticipate. Don't rely on 160Gb to last you for long.
Trust me on that one Bob.  :wink:

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2009, 01:12 pm »
+2 on the HD size.

I originally bought a 200G drive to house my tunes.

That was 2 years ago.

In around 6 weeks, I will be up to 900G!

That's the issue with PC based tunes, the storage is all virtual.  Expect to use an outboard HD at some point.

BobC

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2009, 07:08 pm »
On my primary home PC I've got 750GB with a matching 750GB external for backup.

I'm wondering if I can network a Netbook and access my files that way.

Home PC and another laptop use Vista.  Looks like the Mini 10 can come with XP.

Then maybe I'd use the internal 160GB for my travel purposes.

Serious downsides are the ling USB cable to connect the Netbook with an external DAC.  Also the multizone function of the Duet is appealing.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2009, 07:22 pm »
Yea, what is it, like 6' for a USB cable?  :? Don't recall seeing anything longer due to signal loss. Maybe twice that if you're lucky.
How far from your DAC is your listening chair Bob?

Bob

BobC

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2009, 08:49 pm »
To hide the wire I'd probably need a 20' run.  Or, I wonder if there is a Netbook with a remote control?  Hmmm.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm »
If you are considering using an outboard USB DAC, and the Netbook, vs a Duet, I would think you should consider the need to at least get a differnent power supply for the Duet.

There are 1000"s you can spend to improve the Logitech units, but the first step is ALWAYS to use a linear power supply, vs the supplied digital switcher.

Tough for me to suggest anything but the Duet, but if another PC would be good for you, that is absolutely a viable direction to pursue.

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2009, 11:19 pm »
Check your local Circuit City for Duet. If they have any left they will be discounted at least 50% for the going out of business sale.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2009, 11:55 pm »

I'm wondering if I can network a Netbook and access my files that way.

Yes, you can with iTunes.  My kids & I regularly share new music this way. I don't know what others players might have this facility but I would think that some others do.

Len

MerlinWerks

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2009, 03:23 am »
I believe the actual spec for a USB cable is ~16' max. If you need to go longer there are USB repeater cables with a built in single port hub, you can string 5 of these together, although I'm not sure I'd want to connect a DAC to it  :green:

BobC

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:05 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I appreciate your thoughts.

I don't think I'm ready to jump in right now...but like to know what my options are.

My likely future:
1.  Buy an Oppo BD83 when available.  See how it sounds as a CD player.  If good, stop for now.
2.  If not so good, start to look for a DAC.  DacMagic at <$400 looks nice.
3.  Once I have the DAC, then I can get serious about a server / transport solution.  Laptop, Netbook, Duet, Sonos, Control4?  Darn technology changes so fast who knows what will be available 6 months from now.

BTW, I read that the Oppo will have a media gallery feature.  Has 2 USB ports on it.  Should be able to hook of an external HD.  Only thing missing for me is flac support, but maybe a future firware upgrade could take care of that.  I imagine connecting an external HD to the oppo...and maybe using one of the analog video outs to a small table top monitor (so I don't have to fire up the projector).  Or maybe to a digital picture frame?!?  Ooo, my wife may support that if I put pictures of her and the kids on it  :lol: