Anyone familiar with MarkAudio drivers?

Christof

Anyone familiar with MarkAudio drivers?
« on: 5 Mar 2009, 10:37 pm »
Curious to know if anyone has heard the Mark Audio drivers?  I'm building a pair of desktops with the new Alpair5 in a TL, should be interesting.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Re: Anyone familiar with MarkAudio drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2009, 11:28 pm »
I've been admiring the projects over at DIYAudio utilising the MarkAudio drivers. They seem to have improved on the Jordan and are the most intriguing design since the CSS FR125. Which design are you using? Please post pix when completed please!  :thumb:

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2009, 12:37 am »
The cabinet is based on the TL design published by Henkjan, with just a couple very minor changes.  The cabinet is very small, 4-1/2" w x 15" h x maybe 12" deep.  I'm actually doing 2 pairs of cabinets, one for Gray49 and the other for myself.  We will probably start with the same filter Henkjan described and make minor adjustments to adjust for the gray driver...I've read that it has a slightly different sound characteristic than the gold cone Alpair5.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2009, 06:27 am »
I have Alpair 5, 6, 10 & 2 pr of CHR here. I have Henkjan's TL built, just need to install drivers (actually using J6T to start experiments). We have CHR in a 6 litre sealed box, Chris says they have good potential -- i haven't heard them yet.

dave

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2009, 05:49 pm »
Here is a cell phone shot of the tiny Alpair5's.  To give you perspective, the walnut baffles they are sitting on top of are only 5" wide.... 
Cabinets should be done soon then gray49 and I can let you know how they sound. 
They appear to be very well constructed.

Scottmoose

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2009, 11:44 am »
I have 4 pairs on their way at the moment -got a few ideas in mind for them at present, but the general consensus is that the higher-end models take up from where the Jordan drivers leave off, while the entry-level units are no slouches themselves.

Christof

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2009, 02:32 am »
Scottmoose

Done anything with the drivers yet?

Scottmoose

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2009, 08:28 am »
Well, I'm now the owner of 2 pairs of CHRs, 1 pair of Alpair6s & 1 pair of Alpair10s, and I must admit, the build quality is downright superb. :) Very nice work indeed. I only got them yesterday morning, so no cabinets built yet unfortunately, but I'll start prototyping shortly.

Christof

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2009, 08:43 pm »
Cabinets are moving along.....

Gluing the solid wood baffles, one pair with solid Walnut baffles and another with solid Spalted Maple

For anyone interested Alpair USA is having a sale on these little drivers :thumb:

Christof

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2009, 01:31 am »
Next day....

Unfinished baffles in Spalted Maple from Northern Michigan

ejfud

« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2009, 12:28 am »
Nice work. Can't wait to see them finished.

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2009, 04:00 pm »
Still not finished....
I need to unhook them, take them back to my shop and shoot some finish but I'm having a hard time letting them go....they sound so good.  Had some people over to hear them last night, jaws were dropped listening to Ridge Street Audio Test CD.  Anybody sitting on the fence, jump off and build a pair of these :thumb:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Lotus for 1 or 2 CHR 70
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2009, 06:50 am »
I should post this here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1801575#post1801575

Here is a visualization of one potential realization of the Lotus^2 (2 driver Lotus). This is the direction Chris & i have been talking wrt the ones we have underway. Note that the brace for the side driver is a circular shim mounted on the main holey brace.

discussion starts here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1801577#post1801577

dave

Christof

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2009, 04:54 pm »
Finally finished up the ALpair5 TL's.  Sweet little speakers.....Henkjan did a great job with this TL design and hats off to MarkAudio.
Oh, almost forgot...ol' mother nature did a most wonderful job spalting the maple on the left pair.  Cell phone pics don't do any justice to that piece of wood.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2009, 06:29 pm »
Beautiful work. Congratulations. :thumb: