Another reason why Phish rocks!!

sts9fan

Re: Another reason why Phish rocks!!
« Reply #20 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm »
They are playing an older style Phish.  I was actually shocked at the long DWD.  Everything a short and the punchy style.  Less liquid funk of late 90's.  These shows were mind blowing in a way that song length could never show. 

rydenfan

« Reply #21 on: 10 Mar 2009, 02:16 am »
I understand exactly what you are saying. Even in their first set back this is crystal clear. Two examples are Suzy and Coil; staples that have literally been played thousands of times. There is an interplay between each member and innovation/exploration that has not been heard in many years. The exuberance and attack even within these songs has not been heard since the '94-'96 era. These shows revealed a solid commitment to the intricate fundamentals that these compositions were founded on. It should be quite interesting and exciting to see how it unfolds  :notworthy:

Airborn

« Reply #22 on: 10 Mar 2009, 06:36 am »
Yeah, I have to agree these shows are killers!  I just listened to the flac download of the first show and it is outstanding in SQ and the set list is tremendous. Something about the tidewater area of VA must bring out the best in jam bands because I saw one of the best Grateful Dead concerts I ever saw (and I've seen 30+) at Hampton Coliseum in 1985 when I was in college. Who would pick Hampton, VA as a great place to hear music?

sts9fan

« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:26 pm »
The venue is just so sweet.  The cops and security where all super friendly open contaier laws did not apply last weekend.  Just letting everyone have fun as long as you were not a jerk.   
Also did not hurt I got in Friday with a backstage pass.  What did I have to do?  My girlfriend is the one in the waders and I hleped paint and set up.  Not a bad gig.

tvyankee

« Reply #24 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:50 pm »
amazing what you can do off drugs. it sounds like they got it together, good for them.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:00 am »
Listening to the 3-6-09 show right now and I am digging it!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

While that wasn't the best "Fluffhead" I have heard them play, it was a killer choice for their first song back!!

George

Bigfish

« Reply #26 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:43 am »
I just wanted to say thanks guys for turning us on to the downloads of the performances this past weekend.  Based on your comments I purchased all three shows in Flac and am really enjoying the music. 

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:10 am »
I just wanted to say thanks guys for turning us on to the downloads of the performances this past weekend.  Based on your comments I purchased all three shows in Flac and am really enjoying the music. 

Ken

Ken,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the music. 

If you like these shows, you definitely want to look into adding many more shows to your collection.

This has nothing to do with their music, but I love this Phish Poster from their show at the Beacon Theater in 1994:

George

Zero

« Reply #28 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:20 am »
sts,

Hey, where did you get that pic? Thats the Hampton Colosseum. I've been there numerous times. Hell, that's where I graduated from HS!

rydenfan

« Reply #29 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:24 am »
From Phish's Flickr page from the weekend  :D

rydenfan

« Reply #30 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:26 am »
Listening to the 3-6-09 show right now and I am digging it!!

:dance: :dance: :dance:

While that wasn't the best "Fluffhead" I have heard them play, it was a killer choice for their first song back!!

George

Absolutely!! The fact that they completely stayed away from it during the first return set a strong message from the start. The attack and excitement they have is undeniable right from the start, some of the more complex changes going on as in Suzy and Coil will be better revealed on the second listen. You have some good stuff to look forward to  :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #31 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:27 am »

Ken

Ken, if you ever decide you would like to hear some more just shoot me a PM. I have some real gems  :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:31 am »
Absolutely!! The fact that they completely stayed away from it during the first return set a strong message from the start. The attack and excitement they have is undeniable right from the start, some of the more complex changes going on as in Suzy and Coil will be better revealed on the second listen. You have some good stuff to look forward to  :thumb:

I am listening to "Rift" on Set II right now and it is smoking!! 

They are tight, fast, and in tune!   :thumb:

Can't wait to see them when they hit Boston.

George

Airborn

« Reply #33 on: 11 Mar 2009, 06:02 am »
Yeah, I'm listening to Possum from bthe second set right now and its killer.  You can really hear the exuberance and interplay that Rydenfan mentioned previously in these sets. I've got to catch them at some venue this tour. 

sts9fan

« Reply #34 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:15 pm »
Yes Mansfield is going to be great and I am so looking forward to Bonnaroo!!!! 
Phish fans are a tough crowd to please and when you read 90% positive reviews on the webs then you know the boys killed it.  Big time. 

They also hvae taken the light rig to another level.  Loved the ROYGBV

rydenfan

« Reply #35 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:32 pm »
Yes Mansfield is going to be great and I am so looking forward to Bonnaroo!!!! 
Phish fans are a tough crowd to please and when you read 90% positive reviews on the webs then you know the boys killed it.  Big time. 

They also hvae taken the light rig to another level.  Loved the ROYGBV

ROYGBV???? Wrong band buddy! That would be STS9 that covers that, not Phish  :wink:

Hantra

« Reply #36 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:25 pm »
ROYGBV???? Wrong band buddy! That would be STS9 that covers that, not Phish  :wink:

:scratch: :roll: :duh:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 14 Mar 2009, 11:24 am »
If only their music didn't suck! :lol:  Still, a good deal for those who like their stuff. :thumb:

bummrush

« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:43 pm »
Must of  been lots of jerks for how many people they busted,previous from before post.........and the best part phish paid the cops or extra cops needed for the show in order to have the show.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 14 Mar 2009, 03:46 pm »
If only their music didn't suck! :lol:  Still, a good deal for those who like their stuff. :thumb:

Can't please everybody! 

I have now listened to all three shows and I stand by my earlier comments on it being one of the best three night runs they have had.

George