First listen to BDA-1...

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
First listen to BDA-1...
« on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:46 pm »
I got home rather late so I couldn't listen at normal listening levels.

First disk I popped in was the Verve 20bit remaster of Getz/Gilberto...

I hadn't listened to this disk for quite some time and from my chair I was adjusting the volume on my JC-2 to a comfortable level while listening to "The Girl from Ipanema"   da..d..da-da...da..d..da-da...      ...ahhhhh
Those of you familar with this song know it's soft, lazy and smokey so I had the volume a little bit higher than what I typically listen at.
The cat was curled up on the rug in front of my listening chair, lights dimmed...both of us grooving to the music when out of no where Getz re-enters for a little solo run and I swear the cat got 2 feet vertical and ran from the room!!! and had me scrambling for the remote.
It wasn't so much the overall solo was noticeably higher volume but rather the dynamics of the intial BLAT was a real shocker!
Reminded me of that movie where the kids cheat death and then it decides to hunt them down (Final Destination???)...the scene where the loud mouth chick is arguing with her bf while walking backwards into the street and ends up getting CREAMED by a passing bus!!!  :thumb:

after that I played Disk 1 from Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits live...

I know this disk very well and was again impressed by the solid placement of vocals and instruments.
When you can pick out subtle differences in the voices of the back-up singers....while they're harmonizing...that's impressive.
What makes it even more so is this DAC can recreate such subtle nuances... highlighted with just the right amount of weight and in doing so complements the music rather than diesecting it from the overall musical structure.  It leans toward the MUSICAL vs. the ANALytic :thumb: :green:

The last disk of the evening was Buena Vista Social Club with Ry Cooder ....mastered by Bernie Grundman :thumb:

This is one of my favorite disks overall as the music is awesome!!!
There's plenty of vocal and intrumental layering and the room where they recorded is the size of small gymnasium so there is palpable decay.
The way this DAC fleshes out the vocal harmonizing, the instrumental layering...the way the room reverb adds to the playback!!! ...all recreated with a pace and rythym that makes you smile & tap your toes :thumb:
I can't wait to get home tonite and play it again at louder volume.  AWESOME!!!  :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: First listen to BDA-1...
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:58 am »
Cool review, thanks!

KnowTalent

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:49 pm »
more evening sessions at lower volumes...

Pat Metheny "Imaginary Day"

This is disk is an electronics drenched fusion effort and one of Metheny's most aggressive sounds imo...
The recording has loads of sustain and reverb and the BDA-1 nails it perfectly!
It's cool listening to the background sound effects in the quieter passages.

Charles Mingus "Mingus AH UM"

With the BDA-1 this seldom played disk has risen to frequently played status.
The 20bit remastered recording is a blues-influenced swing fest and the BDA-1's agile dynamics and subtle tonal shading just sucks you in :thumb:
(listened to it three times in the last two days!)

Thelonius Monk "Straight, No Chaser"

Another classic Columbia 20bit remaster that really shines.
Monk's off kilter tempos and Charlie Rouses dry tenor combine to produce a hynotic hard bop testimony.

Also listened to more of The Police box set and while "Wrapped around your finger", "Tea in the Sahara", "Murder by Numbers", etc...sound terrific..some of the other cuts sound somewhat strident and harsh relative to the previously mentioned so I guess the BDA-1 cannot be classified with that mythical status of making crappy recordings sound good :green:

As I listen to more disks I have a growing impression this player is voiced dead center between cold, dry, analytic and warm, wet and musical...and maybe leaning slightly towards the analytic as with poorer recordings tend to sound a little hard and two dimensional.  :|
The upside is when you listen to a good recording you get the impression that it would be very hard to find a player/DAC that would offer any significantly better performance.
It may not create the same sense of "air" around the peformers as a DAC like the $8000 MDA1000 but the BDA-1 comes close to equaling the resolution of inner detail and bests it ever so slightly in dynamics imo  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Pretty good for $2000 imo  :thumb:

I want to get about 100 more hours of play on it before I cast final judgement

werd

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:56 pm »
yah i know what u mean by poor recordings sounding hard on that dac. I usually set it for 16 bit on those recording. It seems to give u less of the bad and the  dac still sounds intact.

KnowTalent

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:02 pm »
yah i know what u mean by poor recordings sounding hard on that dac. I usually set it for 16 bit on those recording. It seems to give u less of the bad and the  dac still sounds intact.

I've been listening to everything with upsampling engaged so I'll try straight 16/44 next time :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:13 pm »
hi, KnowTalent!

what speakers are you using?

thanx,

al.

werd

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:21 pm »
Knowtalent have u ever listend to this, i think u might like it. Taken right out of the 50's and remastered

KnowTalent

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:30 pm »
hi, KnowTalent!

what speakers are you using?

thanx,

al.

Thiel CS7.2's

KnowTalent

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:34 pm »
Knowtalent have u ever listend to this, i think u might like it. Taken right out of the 50's and remastered

I'll look that up!  I already have a few Wes Montgomery disks (Full House, Smokin at the Half Note) that I enjoy but not the one you mention...
In fact I just picked up a K2 remastered version of "Boss Guitar" a month of so back and it's really good as well :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:36 pm »
ok. thank you, Know Talent. seems that Thiel speakers are one of the perfect choices for a Bryston setup... :D

al.

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:37 pm »
If you like Wes's stuff I would easily recommend checking out this one too (but I have it on vinyl, so I can't vouch for it completely on CD)

Mightyburner

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:53 pm »
I'd like to know about what the rest of your system consists of and a description (better yet a picture) of your room.  How do vocals sound?   aa

KnowTalent

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2009, 10:18 pm »
I'd like to know about what the rest of your system consists of and a description (better yet a picture) of your room.  How do vocals sound?   aa

for a description of my system look at my NAD M5 view in the Critic's "source component" section..
I'm running the BDA-1 off the AES/EBS out of the M5 via a .5M Kimber Orchid Illumination

KnowTalent

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2009, 10:19 pm »
If you like Wes's stuff I would easily recommend checking out this one too (but I have it on vinyl, so I can't vouch for it completely on CD)

Looking at the line up listed I'll definately be checking that out. :thumb: 
The only Jim Hall I have is an Acoustic duet with Pat Metheny

KnowTalent

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2009, 10:22 pm »

for a description of my system look at my NAD M5 view in the Critic's "source component" section..
I'm running the BDA-1 off the AES/EBS out of the M5 via a .5M Kimber Orchid Illumination

as far as vocals are concerned I've listen to my Diana Krall "The Look of Love" XRCD and it sounds excellent...warm, yet well defined

werd

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2009, 03:50 pm »
Ukulele is the bomb, Lyle Ritz, check this one out knowtalent. I will be picking some suggested recordings here once i get out of  being stereo poor. Just bought the 4b and it put me back a couple of cheks

KnowTalent

« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2009, 04:50 pm »
Spent more time listening this weekend with upsampling disengaged...

Zappa "The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life"
Lou Reed "Transformer"
Thelonius Monk "Live at the IT Club"
Rick Braun "Intimate Secrets"
Led Zep "II" Japan SHM import
Ryan Bingham "Mescalito"
The Blessing "Prince of the Deep Water"
Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um"
Rod Stewart "Gasoline Alley"
Janes Addiction "Up From The Catacombs"
Pat Metheny "Trio Live"

I didn't even have an itch to kick in the upsampling :thumb: