active X-over

drummermitchell

active X-over
« on: 4 Mar 2009, 12:52 am »
I have a 10B-sub X-over and I'm going to run balanced cables.
Should the X-over be close to the preamp(3-4ft.),
or because I'm running balanced could I use say 12-15ft of cable.
I'd like to put her on top of my sub,any thoughts,thanks.

b5pt9

Re: active X-over
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:08 am »
I think you have nothing to worry about with balanced cables even if it was 50' away.  Are you high-passing the mains or running them full range?

werd

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:41 am »
Where ever u put it, dont put it on the sub. Putting stuff on subs look noobish imo. Keep it close to the pre, cant go wrong like that.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:50 am »
I'll be running the mains full range and highpassing.
That's what Ive been doing is running them full range(Revel 50as).
I ran 2XYcables out of my pre,with right Y going to amp and sub and same for the left side.
I had purchased a used 10B sub X-over(used)and I sent it into Bryston to check her out.
I should have her back any day now as I checked in with Mike Pickett(SUPERB SERVICE),
as with James and the Bryston staff :thumb:.

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:54 am »
As far as putting it on the sub,THAT"S WHERE I WANT IT,and it looks 8) 8) 8),
I might even put mah 28s rat beside her.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2009, 02:44 am »
U dont deserve the 28,s  :P just kidding, if it looks kewl , go for it.

b5pt9

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2009, 04:29 am »
So it sounds like you are planning to send the full frequency range signal to the main speakers and use the 10b to filter out low frequencies and send them to the sub.

FWIW I never had much luck blending my TLE1 with full range speakers (FB1's) in this manner.  The bass was always incoherent and always sounded out of phase.

I had much better results using the 10b to send high frequencies to the mains and the lows to the sub.  Much more coherent sounding.

The nice thing with the 10b is it gives you lots of flexibility to try different setups - have fun! :) 

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2009, 04:50 am »
I'm looking quite forward to this,it should be quite a fun experience,
and hopefully more emotional music satisfaction,we always want more.
Thanks for the info,that's what I'll be doing with the 10b is sending the highs to the mains and lows to the sub.I used the Ys so I didn't have to go thru the subs(DD-15)highpass filter and back to the 7B-ssts.
It sounded very compressed and wrong.using the Ys in this fashion,the bottom just opened up tremendously.So I'm hoping with the 10B,she'll shoot me across the universe musically,we'll see.

werd

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2009, 05:36 am »
Hey dude, when u r setting up your crossover have some long enough cable handy so that u can sit at your main listening area and adjust your crossover. Try not to adjust it in it's permament spot.(unless its right where u r sitting anyways). Nothing worse that moving back and forth adjusting your sub and mains. Just a suggestion

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2009, 06:32 am »
I agree,that's why I like the DD,she has the remote and you can see the peaks and valleys on the tv,
all from my couch,good idea,then I can dial her in without moving,not that I move much anyway.

werd

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:09 pm »
Drummer, r u the guy witht the top of line KEF's ?

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2009, 03:11 pm »
Hi Werd,nope I have Revel 50as.