Omega 3 XRS and subwoofer

Capt. Z

Omega 3 XRS and subwoofer
« on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:59 pm »
Well I just got my Omega 3 XRS with HEMP driver and I realize that I will need a subwoofer to fill in the upper and lower bass.
I tried my ACI Sub one subwoofers and crossed over around 120 Hz and it sounded 'decent'. More experimenting is necessary for better integration.
Since I cannot always use my ACI Sub ones for the Omega, since they are going with my ACI Sapphire III speakers, I am thinking of getting a separate powered subwoofer for the Omegas.

Just can't afford a new (or even used) Omega subwoofer I was wondering if a small Dayton 10 inch sub or other similar subs would work with the Omega 3 HEMP.
Propably keep the subwoofer driver small enough to keep them 'fast' enough.

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Omega 3 XRS and subwoofer
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2009, 06:20 pm »
Try a set of these:http://www.audioc.com/accessories1/misc/hipass.htm

I use the 85hz versions with my Omega bipoles and set the Titan low pass filters at ~85hz. It made a BIG difference in the quality of the mid bass.

-Roy

bprice2

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2009, 06:22 pm »
120 Hz seems way too high to crossover, but maybe that's just me.  I wonder if experimenting with speaker placement within your listening room might produce better bass response.

I have a pair of Super 3 Bipoles and use a Martin Logan Dynamo (10" driver) crossed over at about 65 Hz.  I've seen the Dynamo on A-Gon for about $400.  Anyway, this works for me.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2009, 06:39 pm »
I agree. 120hz would probably be too high for the crossover. The Omega bipoles actually produce very good bass and if you set the crossover too high you will be most likely substituting inferior SQ sub bass for the tight Omega bass in the mid bass region. I haven't had a chance to try the 65hz versions of the ACI high pass filters. It's nice if you can avoid too much overlap so that the SQ won't be muddy.

-Roy
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2009, 07:57 pm by rajacat »

Capt. Z

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2009, 07:51 pm »
Try a set of these:http://www.audioc.com/accessories1/misc/hipass.htm

I use the 85hz versions with my Omega bipoles and set the Titan low pass filters at ~85hz. It made a BIG difference in the quality of the mid bass.

-Roy

Unfortunately the 85 Hz filter is not an option, since I use a integrated amp (Bottlehead SEX amp) to power the Omegas. So far I am using the headphone out as a way to connect to the subwoofer.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2009, 08:56 pm by Capt. Z »

Capt. Z

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2009, 07:53 pm »
I know I need to play with the placement some more to see how the Omegas respond.

Also I was thinking to add the Sub to fill in the upper bass, since the small driver will sound very thin on classical music. Otherwise the Omegas 3 go down to 45 Hz in my Room.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2009, 01:28 am »
Hi Capt. Z,

Many thanks for your post and the best way to go for now is placement.

I also have an upgrade and best to announce it here for the 3 XRSs. I revised the port tuning and this really makes a difference. It's very easy for me to do and will figure out the best way to proceed. This will make 3s into 5s. The upgrade is new ports and easing the inside edge of the driver cutout. Big difference.

Thanks,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2009, 01:37 am »
Hi Capt. Z,

I also have an upgrade and best to announce it here for the 3 XRSs. I revised the port tuning and this really makes a difference. It's very easy for me to do and will figure out the best way to proceed. This will make 3s into 5s. The upgrade is new ports and easing the inside edge of the driver cutout. Big difference.

Thanks,
Louis

Is this something that could be done ourselves, or do we need to mail them back to you?

Dave

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:33 am »
Hi Capt. Z,

Thanks,
Louis

Is this something that could be done ourselves, or do we need to mail them back to you?

Dave
Hi Dave, I see Louis hasn't answered your question yet, so I'll take a shot...
this
Part of what Louis refers to is an easing of the inside edge of the cutout for the speaker. This is a beveled edge, similar to how a drum shell is cut to support a drum head. The angled cut provides greater space for the driver to breath. This portion of the upgrade will definitely be factory.

The other aspect has to do with the cabinet alignment -- which translates roughly to the effective internal size of the enclosure and how it interacts with the driver. I believe Louis is making this mod via a new port. Not sure if this will be factory or customer.

I'm sure Louis will add to this when he sees your question.

Best, Kent

Capt. Z

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:27 am »
A few days back I spoke with Louis and he talked about the easing of the cut out. This also includes some fastener for the mounting screws.

Than there will be a different port.

And finally he is using a different internal wire, can't remember the brand. I believe it's Vampire wire

He quoted a price of $ 120 for the upgrade plus shipping

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:09 am »
Hi Capt. Z,

Thanks and I will post about the upgrade. It's worth it.

Thanks,
Louis

Capt. Z

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:17 am »
Hi Louis;

I have been home alone this weekend so I had plenty of time to crank up the system and play with placement.

I am amazed how the sound changes depending on placement. They do interact with the room a lot. Moving them around and experimenting does pay off with The Omega 3, much more so than my other speakers, the ACI Sapphire III.

I've now found a 'sweet spot' where they sound MUCH LARGER than a 4,5 inch driver. Plenty of bass and plenty of detail.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #12 on: 21 Mar 2009, 05:30 am »
count me as interested in the "upgrade" (edit: oops maybe thats for the sub. I have only the Super3XRS pair). Funny though about bass, I have my amp bass tone knob turned down to zero 90% of the time. I'm listening nearfield @ 6-8 feet, and I get a ton of bass out of my superXRS's. Not wall rattling sub bass ofcourse. I guess my room is wierd but I just got the RoomEqWizard so I'll be setting up bass traps pretty soon.

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2009, 01:06 am »
Hi Capt.Z,

Great to hear and the placement is very important. Makes a huge difference. The port update will lower the F3 and the bass balance is better. The easing of the cut out lets the driver breath much better. I think integration with your sub will be easier now.

HiSuperXRSSeattle.

I get great bass in my room too with the XRSs and the room is not that small. I do think the overall balance is better with the upgrade though. The easiest way to go is the ports alone and no need to send the speakers back. Full upgrade I have to do here.

All rooms are tough and I have to deal with high ceilings.

Thanks,
Louis