RM30 fact sheet

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
RM30 fact sheet
« on: 8 Dec 2003, 10:45 pm »
Here's my RM30 fact sheet.  I will see it this Wed when Brian & I fight to prove who is more (or less) incompetent with his digital camera.

VMPS RM30C & M Versions

We predict this latest speaker in the VMPS Neo loudspeaker line will make a greater impact in the high end than that of the award-winning, breakthrough RM40 & RMX.  It answers the requests from audiophiles since early 2002 for a speaker priced between, & more attractive than the RM2 & RM40.  Its premium blending of price, performance, flexibility, & cosmetic beauty promises more than anything currently available.      

·   Price includes High Energy/Free Swinging Tweeter & Sound Coat: $3200 for the standard C version, only $510 above the RM2SE.  See options below.    

·   Performance: maximum output just below the RM40 combined w/a new reference in staging, imaging, musicality, nearfield listening, & disappearing qualities beyond the 626R & possibly the RMX.  

·   Flexibility: the standard C model has bass extension in the high 30s.  The M version (additional 10”side firing MW, same cabinet) extends to the high 20s & has a feature to minimize bass modes.  Details on both versions below.  

·   Cosmetic Beauty: at 8” wide it’s the narrowest VMPS ever & 2-1/4” narrower than the 626R standmount.  At 48” it’s only 3” above the RM2 & a perfect match for video monitors.  Depth is a moderate 19”.  

Driver Array: the sequence below matches the driver positions on the baffle, from the top down.

1. Standard HE/FS tweeter, previously standard on only the RMX.
2. 3 vertical Neo mids.
3. Dual active 6.5s, the ideal diameter in the critical transition range, w/punchy, quick midbass.  New carbon diaphragms w/more punch & impact vs. the earlier carbon fiber.

Passive Radiators: tunable, down firing, slot & mass loaded (classic VMPS), but with a twist.  The ultra-slim 7” baffle requires dual 6.5”PRs (a VMPS first), mounted inline front to back.  Mass adjustments are performed on only one PR (the front), providing finer & smoother tuning increments.  

Woofer Options: apartment dwellers, persons with 1st octave room modes, persons desiring moderate bass extension, &/or persons already possessing a quality subwoofer will be pleased w/the C model’s high 30Hz cutoff.  The M model’s side-firing 10” 80oz-magnet Megawoofer extends to the high 20Hz range.  The mirror-imaged L-R speakers are reversible, allowing the 10s to fire either inward or outward to maximize the averaging of room modes, ala RMX.  We generally recommend:

·   Smaller rooms &/or short sidewall spacing = 10s face inward
·   Larger rooms &/or long sidewall spacing = 10s face outward

Notes: for customers using a separate subwoofer & desiring maximum transient accuracy we recommend blocking the RM30 PR’s to convert it to a sealed cabinet.  Email me for directions.  Converting a C model to M specifications would require modifications to the PR’s & crossovers, & a 9” hole cut in opposing side panels of each cabinet.  

Crossovers: bass LP/midrange HP & Biamp/Bi-wire split @ 166Hz, midrange LP/tweeter HP @ 7kHz.

Sensitivities/Impedances: Ribbon array about 93dB/8 Ohms, bass section about 91dB/4 Ohms.  Mid/tweeter level controls provide equalization & fine-tuning adjustments.  

Input Connections: single amp/single wire or biamp/bi-wire.  Following our lead from early 2002 the toggle switch is deleted (the most recent of my several suggestions to see production).  Jumper cables included for shorting the inputs for single amp/single wire use.  Both versions (C, M) have the biamp/bi-wire split between the bass & mids @ 166Hz.

MSRP pairs, Sound-Coat & HET standard: C model $3200, M model $3500.  Either capacitor upgrade is enthusiastically recommended: Auricaps $550 or the highest quality TRTs $1200.  We were told Michael Percy now sells the TRTs, & that he & his customers agree that the caps are superb value even with their enormous cost, a rare combination.  

Discount + freebies: contact me for discount pricing.  Delievery includes my proprietary setup document based on over 20 years VMPS experience.  Options/Freebies: Auricaps discounted + Caig Pro-Gold contact cleaner included, about $25 value.  TRTs discounted + Pro-Gold same as above + a pair of non-cryo’d Stan Warren-recipe 1M interconnects, which recently beat a pair of $800 Analysis Plus & $600 Bolder.  This offer will only last till it is discountinued  :D .      

Summary: the RM30 is high-value & affordable to most working class audiophiles.  It offers the best mid-treble drivers, optional side-firing MW10s (reversible to minimize room modes), & most significantly its narrow baffle provides premium performance & an SOAF rating of 10 (Significant Other Acceptance Factor).  It is priced just above the RM2, has flexibility beyond the RMX, exceeds the best qualities of the 626R, & its maximum output approaches the world-class RM40.  What else could you possibly want?  It costs money, but I discount & give freebies (contact me).  If you decide to wait for a used pair, be healthy & patient.  It's going to be a long wait.  Ask yourself this: for what reason would someone trade in this speaker?  If they want true 20Hz bass they could just add a VMPS Original or Large Subwoofer.  If they could tolerate a super tower dominating their environment they'd have ordered the RM40 or RMX to start with.  Instead of waiting you could be enjoying your own pair of RM30s.  Adding VMPS’ LRC or 626R-center & a pair of Bi-pole Surrounds will round out a premium mid-priced HT/music surround system (SW optional).

You are invited to call me now with your CC & order a pair.  Be the first on your block to own these gems.  Every reason to further deny your self the joy of owning the best loudspeaker value currently available is now vaporized.  Put this speaker on the top of your wish list.  The used value of your current inferior speakers may be enough to put the RM30 in your listening room.  In any case, the risk is minimal with my usual 30-day return privilege (customer pays one-way shipping).  Properly broken in & tuned with good mid-priced equipment in a decent room, compare these to cost no object designs & see what you think.  This is far & away the most attractive Neo package ever, a winner from every perspective.  I am publicly proclaiming it will be the most successful VMPS Neo yet.  You won’t regret helping to make that prediction come true.

Horsehead

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2003, 11:53 pm »
I don't know squat about speaker design, but why not just add another ( Neo panel or two and a 12" MW with the cabinet depth being 19" and create a speaker that would probably surpass the RM40?  I guess cost is an issue, but it sounds like you could take the basic design to another price level ($4600) and replace the RM40 in the lineup, while keeping the RM30.

jgubman

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2003, 12:21 am »
Wish I'd known about these before I ordered my RM-40s, they might've been a better fit for my room. Oh well.

What happened to the Model 215 subwoofer mentioned on the CES page? Not happening this year?

Audio Architect

Re: RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2003, 01:24 am »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Here's my RM30 fact sheet.  I will see it this Wed when Brian & I fight to prove who is more (or less) incompetent with his digital camera.

VMPS RM30C & M Versions

We predict this latest speaker in the VMPS Neo loudspeaker line will make a greater impact in the high end than that of the award-winning, breakthrough RM40 & RMX.  It answers the requests from audiophiles since early 2002 for a speaker priced between, & more attractive than the RM2 & RM40.  Its premium blending of price, performance, f ...

You have indicated that the crossover between the woofers and mid panels is 166, just like the rest of the line. Earlier Brian indicated that a slightly higher crossover may be used, Is that no longer true?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2003, 01:57 am »
I doubt anyone including Brian knows yet.  Tonight is likely the first night in the soundroom with the drivers in them.  Why doesn't someone invent fast drying Soundcoat?  This sucka is gonna rock.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2003, 03:54 am »
Jim,

Nice Job with the descriptions.

With the RM-40's ,not matter how good they are,they seem to really sing when played with the larger sub. So why the c and m option.???? Even small rooms need great bass!!!

Why not the rm-30"center" instead of the lrc???/

why not use a rm-30 vertical center for Trip and have one horizontal ( or lrc), (on top) for home theater???  How would this effect the center channel?????

How will the "new" sub compare to the larger sub??

Larry

John Casler

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2003, 04:57 am »
If I might make a couple comments about the RM30.

I think the most significant value of this speaker will lie in:

1) The higher crossover, of the 6.5 inchers to the neos which will satisfy those who have been looking for a higher impact in the upper midbass and lower mdrange. I think Brian has specualted that the 6.5s will crossover to the Neo's around 180-220Hz.

2) The narrower baffle which will place it a step closer to the Rm/x in imaging with reduced cabinet refraction. (or the RM40 tweak)

It might also be interesting to note that we may specualte that with the FST taking a bit of strain off the Neo's on the top and the 6.5s taking a bit off on the bottom we may see SPL performances from "three" neopanels that may approach four panels of the RM40.

This means a trio of neos playing from 200Hz to 7khz will have improved capabilities.

Q

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2003, 12:54 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
If I might make a couple comments about the RM30.

I think the most significant value of this speaker will lie in:

1) The higher crossover, of the 6.5 inchers to the neos which will satisfy those who have been looking for a higher impact in the upper midbass and lower mdrange. I think Brian has specualted that the 6.5s will crossover to the Neo's around 180-220Hz.

Exactly what I've been looking for....but may I suggest another option to the "C" version:  As mentioned above, most will want plenty of bass.  If one is to integrate these with a subwoofer (or 2), why not offer the option of placing the FST below one or 2 NEOs so that it can be placed on top of a pair of subs, while keeping the FST at ear level....OR, allowing the FST to pivot slightly, as on the RMX.  Also, another option would be an optional hi pass filter...Crossing to a sub at something like 80Hz or more would take strain off the 6.5s and allow one HELL of a complete full range system.  A simple electronic 6db/oct inline (already on the market) filter could be placed on the pre-in to the amp, and an adjustable sub could fill in perfectly.  
OH...and by the way, throw in a set of Sorbothane feet to nestle on your subs!!
 :D
I'm gonna git me a nice christmas gift this year!!! :P  :!:  :P

JoshK

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2003, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
Jim,

why not use a rm-30 vertical center for Trip and have one horizontal ( or lrc), (on top) for home theater???  How would this effect the center channel?????

No need.  A vertical center will outperf a horizontal one even for HT use by its very nature.  Horizontal is only a trade off necessary for use on top of a big monitor.

jcoat007

RM30
« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2003, 06:27 pm »
I think VMPS has hit the nail on the head with this one.  I am very interested in this speaker, as it fits the bill for size/cost and performance.  (I'm assuming the performance is there in spades).  The RM40's are just too big for my needs, but the rave reviews for VMPS speakers cannot be ignored.  

Minor question:  What finishes will be available?  Will full wrap finishes be available? Is January '04 a realistic date?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2003, 08:23 pm »
Quote from: Q
Exactly what I've been looking for....option would be an optional hi pass filter...Crossing to a sub at something like 80Hz or mo ...

Seal the cabinets, securing something solid over the PRs.  I believe this will improve the transient response & move the cutoff up to about 65-80Hz.  But the higher the sub goes, the more directional it becomes.

doug s.

• makin' music
RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2003, 08:57 pm »
ok, i awreddy have my vmps larger subs.  any adwantage to getting the rm30's w/the 10" side-firing woofers even tho i'm still gonna be using subs?  also, any difference in x-over between the iteration w/o the 10" woofers, vs w/'em?

doug s.

warnerwh

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2003, 11:54 pm »
If someone is going to use these with subs then why not offer them without the passive radiators?  Why no word on the 215?  The RM 30's dimensions make me suspect they will not be very stable.  How is this being dealt with?

Sedona Sky Sound

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #13 on: 10 Dec 2003, 12:11 am »
If you already have a sub and are planning to use it for music, then my speculation is that the one without the side woofer is your best bet. The side firing woofer has the potential for giving you a smoother room response but are going to be inherintly harder to place. If you plan to use it with a sub, then you potentially have a mind boggling amount of variables to deal with (4 pots, 3 passives, 9+ boundary layers, etc.).

As always, everything is just speculation until Brian gets 100% finished with the prototypes (likely to be the day before CES just like last year  :wink: )

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

mb

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #14 on: 10 Dec 2003, 01:13 am »
The description of the RM30 is very attractive. Will there be some form of wider base or extension feet that will increase "anti-topple"? Preferably with height adjustable spikes, so that the user can fine tune the tilt of the speaker (yet another tuning parameter!).

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm30
« Reply #15 on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:42 am »
The RM 30 base is elegantly elliptical with a maximum 3 1/2" extension out from the cabinet on either side.  We may have to offer a "narrow base" option for those with limited floorspace!

The prototypes assembled today and already sound wonderful.  Pix tomorrow.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm30
« Reply #16 on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:42 am »
The RM 30 base is elegantly elliptical with a maximum 3 1/2" extension out from the cabinet on either side.  We may have to offer a "narrow base" option for those with limited floorspace!

John Casler

Re: rm30
« Reply #17 on: 10 Dec 2003, 04:39 am »
Quote from: Brian Cheney

For anyone interested I have just received a new supply of "breath bate" :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

(Don't make me explain this :nono: )

wshuff

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2003, 02:32 pm »
Well, John, I didn't want to ask.  It took me a day to figure it out.  I guess that means that since you are stocked up now, you are just waiting.

OK, here's a question.  In another thread Brian said that the 6.5" woofer in the RM30 is a specially developed graphite cone, but that the WCF 6.5" megawoofer will be available as an upgrade.  My question is how will those new graphite cones match up with something like the WCF woofers in an LRC?   Would it be better to get the upgraded WCF megawoofer to match with other VMPS speakers?

jcoat007

RM30 fact sheet
« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2003, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: Sedona Sky Sound
If you already have a sub and are planning to use it for music, then my speculation is that the one without the side woofer is your best bet. The side firing woofer has the potential for giving you a smoother room response but are going to be inherintly harder to place. If you plan to use it with a sub, then you potentially have a mind boggling amount of variables to deal with (4 pots, 3 passives, 9+ boundary layers, etc.).

Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Woofer Options: apartment dwellers, persons with 1st octave room modes, persons desiring moderate bass extension, &/or persons already possessing a quality subwoofer will be pleased w/the C model’s high 30Hz cutoff. The M model’s side-firing 10” 80oz-magnet Megawoofer extends to the high 20Hz range. The mirror-imaged L-R speakers are reversible, allowing the 10s to fire either inward or outward to maximize the averaging of room modes, ala RMX. We generally recommend:

· Smaller rooms &/or short sidewall spacing = 10s face inward
· Larger rooms &/or long sidewall spacing = 10s face outward

Notes: for customers using a separate subwoofer & desiring maximum transient accuracy we recommend blocking the RM30 PR’s to convert it to a sealed cabinet. Email me for directions. Converting a C model to M specifications would require modifications to the PR’s & crossovers, & a 9” hole cut in opposing side panels of each cabinet.

OK, so what I am hearing is that if you have dedicated subwoofers, the C version is the way to go.  The problem I am having is that the M version is only $300 more.  Things may change in my system or I may move to smaller home someday with no room for the subs.  I just don't want to short change my options down the line.  

Once you guys have had a chance to hear the speaker (preferably both versions), maybe you can give further comments on this.  In my setup, the speakers would be high passed at around 60hz.  Would it really be that difficult to set up the M version with dedicated subs?

Can the M version be blocked to convert it to a sealed cabinet?

Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!!