You can get started in vinyl and not spend much.....

Wayner

This came in the mail today, bought on ick-bay for a wooping $46. While it certainly isn't a VPI or Technics type of quality, it ain't bad.

Wayner

orthobiz

Re: You can get started in vinyl and not spend much.....
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2009, 05:40 pm »
I need a rig for yet (another) one of my daughters...

Any tips on what to avoid on eBay?
Likewise, what to look for?
How about some "almost can't go wrong" tables.
You see, I worry about the Technics 1200 series, like they may have been used for DJ'ing. Does that ruin the table somewhat? Or the cartridge that might be on it?

I saw a Sansui SR-717 yesterday that looked pretty nice. It was at a record store about 100 miles from my house (sadly the closest place selling used TT's near my house!) and they had an awful, motley assortment of TT's.

While the table looked OK, it didn't have a dustcover, which as you know is expensive. And the cartridge looked terrible (I think it was an AudioTechnica) and was held on by two screws of dissimilar length. But a 79 dollars, the table itself looked OK. I didn't buy it (I need it by July and I'm waiting to score on AudioCircle, hint, hint everybody...)

Oh yeah, not to hijack you thread, Wayner: nice looking unit! But you know, the topic heading was a bit broad...

Paul

sfox50

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2009, 06:18 pm »
orthobiz- I just bought a SR 717 yesterday-it's near mint, came with the dust cover & an Acutex cart. I paid $100, the seller was a member of AK that I had traded info with over the years. He included a set of component video cables & a copy of the sales brochure.
It's big & heavy, but it is a clear step up from my old SL Q2! Now I need to figure out how to set up the "knife edge" arm!

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2009, 06:50 pm »
Glad I passed up on that deal, then, sfox!

I just know others will weigh on on this thread, especially with the focus on the newbie!

Paul

Listens2tubes

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2009, 07:51 pm »
I have a bunch of turntables I've collected over the years. Automatic, semi-automatic and manual. Check http://www.craigslist.org/ in your area and see what you find. Also a great way to find LP collections.  :o OH! except in NJ  :duh:

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2009, 10:40 pm »
Wayner It looks like you got a bargin for sure !

Does it have the 'tweek-ability' of the Technics tables ?

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2009, 10:10 am »
Yes! The whole bottom cover comes off and you could put about 20 pounds of plasticaly on the inside. John is really going to smile when he reads this!

Wayner  aa