BP-26 vs B-60 (preamp section)

1ZIP

BP-26 vs B-60 (preamp section)
« on: 27 Feb 2009, 02:53 am »
I just finished unpacking my new BP-26 that is replacing the preamp section of my 10 yr. old B-60.  Sometime back I had asked the question what sonic differences might be expected between the BP-6, 16 and 26.  From the answers I got it seemed  there would not be any significant differences.  Researching the literature indicated that the preamp section of the B-60 was similar to the BP-6 and that similar to the BP-26 so I was not expecting significant differences.  So, for what it is worth here are my impressions after a couple of hours of listening.  My system consisted of a BCD-1, the preamp section of a B-60, a 4B ST driving a pair of B&W Nautilus 805s all connected with inexpensive unbalanced cables (soon to be replaced). 

First off, with the BP-26, there is noticeably more detail, the sound stage is somewhat broader and deeper and most apparent is the absence of the slight harshness in the mid to high end. This was most noticeable during the horn sections of several recordings.  The bass is a little deeper and a touch warmer.  The high end is also more transparent.  These improvements also seem to hold at lower volume levels than before. What changes are due to a new unit vs a 10 yr. old unit can't say.  But, the differences are noticeable.

Next step is to replace the interconnects, then a new 4B SST2.  I'm also looking at new speakers, Thiel, B&W, PMC and Paradigm.

I want to thank James for expediting the build and shipment of the new unit, it is most appreciated!

Now down to PDX and work a trade for a new 4B SST2!

werd

Re: BP-26 vs B-60 (preamp section)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2009, 03:18 am »
Hi, i own a bp 25 with an mps-2 ps. Very similar to a bp-26, if not exact. If u have chance, take a listen to any of the shunyata alpha helix power cords with that pre and  dac. (I also own a bda-1) and found the shunyata cords to make a quite an improvement. i dont want to try and quantify the sound improvement, but i will say it was a HOLY SMOKES!!!!! kinda reaction.

They r expensive, but check em out, u might find that u want make the plunge and get em.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2009, 06:40 am »
It's interesting that the differences are noticeable...from a technical standpoint, the preamps are the same. This doesn't mean the BP-6 is bad, does it? Of course not.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your system there. I would include Tannoy in your speaker search.

1ZIP

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2009, 04:35 pm »
I don't recall stating the BP-6 nor the B-60 was bad and I think i was pretty clear in putting my impressions in context!  Lord knows there have been plenty of reviews over the years that indicate the B-60 is an excellent piece of equipment.  But in this instance my BP-26 does sound better than my B-60 and to more sets of ears than just mine.  You can be as dismissive as you like and regardless of technical similarities, in this instance, there is a difference.  Just one subjective data point among many.

vegasdave

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2009, 10:33 pm »
I understand. No problem. Both the BP6 and the BP26 are excellent pieces of equipment!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2009, 03:14 am »
1Zip,

I think you were misunderstanding what vegasdave was saying.  Maybe you weren't.  I shouldn't speak for anyone else.  But anyway...

Pre-amps make a big difference IMO.  They're the most under-rated and over-looked component.  The reason for sonic differences between the B60 and BP26  is mainly due to the power supply.  And the power supply being external.  It may be barely measureable, but that doesn't mean its barely audible.

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2009, 06:16 am »
STU:

I agree with you 100%.

vegasdave

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2009, 10:43 pm »
1Zip,

I think you were misunderstanding what vegasdave was saying.  Maybe you weren't.  I shouldn't speak for anyone else.  But anyway...

Pre-amps make a big difference IMO.  They're the most under-rated and over-looked component.  The reason for sonic differences between the B60 and BP26  is mainly due to the power supply.  And the power supply being external.  It may be barely measureable, but that doesn't mean its barely audible.

It's cool...thanks.

Yeah, I would have bought the BP26, but it was out of my budget. I possibly will upgrade in the future. Plus, the BP26 has better resale value than the BP6.

I still maintain that the BP6 is a great preamp. I concur with the recent review of it.

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2009, 03:15 am »
I have been following this thread with keen interest and with a somewhat vested interest in that I own the excellent Bryston B100 SST. If the differences are ever so slight, I think the convenience of having a one box solution with sonics that knock on the door of separates, I think that in itself is a boon!

On a separate point, I have compared my B100 preamp with the very neutral Bent Audio TAP and can say that the B100 preamp acquitted itself very well indeed. And, with a one box solution you save on one extra set of interconnects, not to mention the advantage of having a very short signal path!

Best Regards
Dennis

werd

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2009, 04:16 am »
i like integrateds also.  i would have bought a bryston intergrated if they made one in the 300 watt range or at least 200 watts, Instead i went with seperates just to get the power.

denjo

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2009, 05:39 am »
i like integrateds also.  i would have bought a bryston intergrated if they made one in the 300 watt range or at least 200 watts, Instead i went with seperates just to get the power.

Hi werd, as the famous dictum goes ... power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely! While I don't deny that you need power to control the speakers, unless your speakers are are extremely inefficient, 100 Bryston watts is plenty powerful for most applications. BTW, I also use an Accuphase E-450 Integrated which is almost twice as powerful but to my ears the Bryston packs in enough punch to give the Accuphase a good run!

Best Regards
Dennis

werd

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2009, 06:40 pm »

Hi werd, as the famous dictum goes ... power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely! While I don't deny that you need power to control the speakers, unless your speakers are are extremely inefficient, 100 Bryston watts is plenty powerful for most applications. BTW, I also use an Accuphase E-450 Integrated which is almost twice as powerful but to my ears the Bryston packs in enough punch to give the Accuphase a good run!

Best Regards
Dennis

Hi, the thing i like the best about B100 was it's pure bryston sound. U mentioned above about eliminating a connect with the integrated this is what i am talkin about. Without that connect u kinda hand over to the bryston the ability to engineer an output that is more the way they want it to sound. What ever people say about bryston being i/c immune, i dont aggree. I found it to be susceptible to different cable and some just out right wrecked it.(wont get into name brands).

I wrote reply in a thread just recently that's  similar (Pmc vs B&W thread )regarding power,  but i will use this oppurtunity to elaborate further. Along with my 4b i also own a 125 watt blue circle bc22 model power amp. When i occasionally swap out amps Immediately do i notice that drop in power, and the blue circle is a  great amp. At any volume i use(and i like late nite listening) the bryston seems to flesh out the soundstage and present itself with more authority than my blue circle does. This is because (IMHO) of the new class of engineering that is goin into these big amps. They have way more finesse and authority and dynamics at low volume than i can remember. Using big power is no longer just about big volume IMO.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2009, 04:03 am by werd »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2009, 07:35 pm »
Hi werd

Your comment about low level listening is one of the main design paramiters in the new SST Squared versions.

I will post it under 'First and Last' watt.

james

werd

« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2009, 08:27 pm »
Hi, I just got my sst/2. I sold my sst about a month ago and replace it with the blue circle while i awaited my sst/2.
I just wanted to point out that the sst is no slouch either in this regard and is very capable at low level volume levels also.
Infact the reason why i went ordered the sst/2 is because i just had a feelin u guys were goin in that direction and i bought it on lucky instinct. Plus i wanted the new sst/2 :)

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2009, 01:36 am »
Hey Zip, so with a 4Bsst2 you would be moving more from the low-middle (FB1i & OB1i) toward the low-high end (PB1i).  The clean & clear power of Bryston can complement alot of speakers out there, so you couldn't really go wrong with any model capable of handling what the 4B has to give.  Feel free to hit me with any questions you have about any PMC's, especially those regarding low level playback.

Happy Listening

1ZIP

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2009, 02:11 am »
Thanks, I need all the help I can get!  For a small to medium room 12' x 12' what would you recommend?

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2009, 11:43 pm »
Your room being as square as it is, you're going to have some pretty hefty bass nodes.  It may be possible that you can go a little smaller and have a little bit of your budget left for some room treatment which could make a vast improvement.  For a room of your size an OB1i won't have enough room to breathe.... Forget about a PB1i, that thing will leave your room in shambles.  Most comfortably I would make the recommendation of going with either the GB1i, it having only 4.5" drivers will give you just the right amount of bass - seeing as how it is rated down to 29hz.  If you end up with the 4Bsst2 as you hopefully will, you will be working with plenty of headroom and can operate at a very nice level.  Since low level playback would be one of the SST2's major plus's you can have what could be considered "effortless playback"... With a transmission line monitor such as ours you can very much maintain the tonal balance of a weighted low end and the air of our solonex tweeter at amazingly low levels.  My second recommendation would be the TB2i, you will have a little less extension in the low end, but a slightly improved midrange with the 6.5" driver.  So for you slightly smaller would be what I think is the way to.  You definitely do not want to overpower such a tiny room especially with a 4B(ea)sst2.  Let me know what you think!

1ZIP

« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2009, 06:34 am »
Thanks for the information, I'll give them a listen.