Curious about "Soundsmith" cartridges????

TheChairGuy

Re: Curious about "Soundsmith" cartridges????
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2009, 04:57 pm »

I imagine if the Soundsmith MM were so great and/or at least equal to a good MC, the news would have been sweeping the forums and reviews by now.  I guess I'll stay to the tried and true MC path.

Thanks
Kenreau

Yeah, there really is no substitute for a moving coil among MM cartridges...the Grado's are the closest approximation to them (and, at that, do not have quite the same 'goosebump' factor as MC's have)

But, like so many things, it's a tradeoff.  I love the very natural/real sound of Grado's (time and time again I have compared with live music and the Grado comes closest of all to it)...yet miss the goosebump/eery chills that some MC's gave me. 

As my listening tends towards non-critical (I listen primarily 8+ hours daily while toiling in my home/office).....the sheer listenability of the Grado wins out.  If I wanted shock and awe for a few critical hours a week - I might investigate moving coils further. 

Your particular listening situation has a lot to do with the type of cartridge you prefer.

I'd bet the SoundSmith moving irons are good (maybe like a Grace F-9 or ADC XLM was years back)....but not to be confused with a moving coil-like presentation.

John

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jun 2009, 07:07 am »
I've owned the Soundsmith Otello for several months now. The only MC cartridge I own is the high output DL-110, so I can't say how it competes w/ MCs in its $300 price range but it's sonic attributes are very similar to the DL 110 - doesn't sound like any of my MM (albeit budget) carts.

I would describe it's sound as DL 110 in Technicolor. Far more detail, far wider soundstage, far greater resolution, beautifully sweet High end. The 110 is like 3D compared to my MM carts. The Otello is 3D to the 110... I've auditioned it on both my SL-1200 and Yamaha 801BL and the results are the same. Only con is that the 110 tracks a touch better.

Oh, and no separate MC step-up/preamp needed. :thumb:

And the handmade wood body look isn't bad either, though if I had to do it again I would try the SMMC3 for what I would think to be a better tracking stylus. But that's nit picking.

There are posts out there of people who've tried SS carts. Not to mention the Fremer review and other professional reviews.

Just because SS carts aren't sweeping the forums doesn't mean they're not stellar performers. Just means people are not giving them a chance (probably for the same understandable cyclic reason 'well I didn't find a lot of threads on them so why risk it?' and brand recognition). Peter hardly has the resources (or the desire it seems) to aggressively push his products. He seems more concerned w/ mentorship/apprenticeship than marketing, which I am more than happy to support. However, since he does provide a service the well-known brands by and large don't provide (re-tipping), there are a million posts lauding his retips across forums.

I think it's a safe leap that if he does stellar retips, he probably makes a stellar cart. I took the risk and it was worth it.

my 2 cents

ricmon

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jun 2009, 05:52 pm »
Go for the gusto and get the whole Strain Gauge thing.  I was very impressed with it at RMAF.  I hope Peter is doing well.  Anybody heard about how he is doing?

Just before I logged into the AC I called the Sound-Smith to get an update on my cart.  I did not speak to Peeter but the kind lady answering the phone said he will be performing an evaluation of my cart tommorow.  So I guess he's back at work.

Ric

jameshuls

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jan 2010, 06:44 pm »
I had Soundsmith repair and rebuild my Dynavector
Iofreak, I am sending off my Dynavector Karat 17D3 soon for a rebuild/retip. Just wondering what model you had rebuilt, what level of rebuild you had and what your thoughts are on the changes in sound, if any.

Thanks!

audiochef

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm »
Hi James, I also have broken tipped D3. I was wondering why you chose this route to re-tip instead of just to trade in? And if you don't mind, what's the cost of the re-tip?
Thanks. Stan

jameshuls

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2010, 11:14 pm »
I was offered a trade-in price of $650 if I remember correctly. This was more than I paid for the cartridge originally as I bought it used. Soundsmith can rebuild it with an equivalent (maybe better?) nude contact stylus and Ruby cantilever for $250 or with an optimized nude contact stylus (Definitely better, but settings are extremely crucial, including VTA) for $350. I have not read a bad thing about these rebuilds with everyone saying it sounds as good or much better than the stylus and cantilever that came on the cartridge originally. It was a no-brainer really going with the $250 rebuild. I thought about the $350 Level III with the optimzed nude contact stylus, but I am not really into changing VTA every album. I would rather use that time to grab a beer from the fridge, which honestly is the best tweak there is IMO :wink:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2010, 12:11 am »
I'm curious to find out how the Soundsmith cantilever works in a 17D3 since the Dynavector cantilever is quite a bit shorter than the one Soundsmith will replace it with. 

BTW I have a Soundsmith-Denon DL103 that I just love and a Soundsmith phono preamp on the way.  Guess that makes me a Soundsmith homer.

Russ

wroman214

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:52 am »
  Russ have you got your Soundsmith Denon and pre-amp?  I have a Bohemme on the way nad considering the pre-amp.

orthobiz

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm »
I know Laura heard the strain gauge last year and was impressed.

Someone gave me a B&O turntable with a bad left channel and broken dustcover. I somehow figured out how to put the torsion spring back into the dustcover without losing an eye or a finger.

The unusual pin configuration lets you plug the tiny cartridge in sideways or upside down and this allowed me to find out that the cartridge was bad (as opposed to the muting circuitry or some other wiring problem with the TT).

Anyway, I called SoundSmith and got Peter on the phone. He talked me out of the 300 dollar cartridge (it's for my daughter's dorm room) and I bought the 200 dollar entry level cartridge. Plugged it in and I was good to go.

Now this was not a critical listening experience, but the sound was pretty darn good. And I liked saving a few bucks.

Now where the heck is that Cartright!!!! I e-mailed the company and they said at the end of the first quarter...

Paul

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:05 pm »
Curious about the "strain gauge" thing; it sounds like the design used by Micro Acoustics back in the day. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Delta Wave

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:17 pm »
Curious about the "strain gauge" thing; it sounds like the design used by Micro Acoustics back in the day. Can anybody shed any light on this?

It is an old design, SS just revived & revised it. There was large write up in either TAS or Stereophile a while ago.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2012, 05:13 pm »
I tried an old Panasonic Strain Gauge setup that Peter is supposed to have had a hand in developing.  I still have it somewhere.  I also have Soundsmith SG400.  The mature product is definitely better.  SG gives you a different presentation from a "regular" set up that has a phonostage with RIAA eq.  On my system, some recordings are better on SG and some are better on the other.  By better, I mean what I think is the one that most closely resembles to what I think is the right sound of the original performance.  YMMV.  In terms of technical criteria, I would give SG the nod on details and accuracy but more tonal depth to my other setup.  Sound stage in every direction is excellent on both.  I am really just nitpicking as both are eminently listenable and enjoyable. 

orthobiz

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:32 pm »

Just because I don't know how it works, doesn't mean I won't post a response! This is how I understand it: strain gauge only cares about how fast the stylus moves in the groove, i.e. frequency. It doesn't care that there is emphasis in the high frequencies and deemphasis in the low frequencies, i.e. modulation. So there is no RIAA curve necessary to compensate for what the engineers did when they cut the master.

OK, those in the know, is that the essence of it?

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:34 pm »
I heard the Strain Guage in the SoundSmith room at RMAF in 2010 & 2011. I also have hear Woodsyi's SG. I agree with his comments. The SG is very detailed and accurate, but not as tonally balanced as his other set up. But as he said, both are outstanding presentations.

Peter's work is top notch. I too am waiting for the Cartright (I want the software version App for iPhone and iPad).

mgalusha

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:40 pm »
I ordered a Soundsmith "The Voice" ebony special edition last year after RMAF and it arrived in about a month, the day before Thanksgiving. This replaced a Scheu/Benz moving coil and I am happy in every way with the Voice. Thinking of having them retip the Scheu/Benz so I'll have a fresh spare.  :thumb:

Delta Wave

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:44 pm »
I heard the Strain Guage in the SoundSmith room at RMAF in 2010 & 2011. I also have hear Woodsyi's SG. I agree with his comments. The SG is very detailed and accurate, but not as tonally balanced as his other set up. But as he said, both are outstanding presentations.

Peter's work is top notch. I too am waiting for the Cartright (I want the software version App for iPhone and iPad).

What is the Cartright?

mgalusha

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:56 pm »
What is the Cartright?

When they finally release it, a device for setting up cartridges.

http://www.sound-smith.com/cartright/index.html

vinyl_lady

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jan 2012, 06:57 pm »
What is the Cartright?

A cartridge alignment tool, http://www.sound-smith.com/cartright/index.html

At RMAF, Peter told us it would be available in a software version for iPhone or iPad for about 1/4 the price of the tool shown in the pictures. Comes with a test record.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:13 pm »
A cartridge alignment tool, http://www.sound-smith.com/cartright/index.html

At RMAF, Peter told us it would be available in a software version for iPhone or iPad for about 1/4 the price of the tool shown in the pictures. Comes with a test record.
Please let us know how well (or not) it works. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #39 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:33 pm »
I have a custom schematic for a modern Straingauge stereo demodulator. Total active devices one op-amp per channel, estimate 10 caps, similar # of resistors (+ PS).  Was proprietary but designer since passed away...a patent attorney suggested no moral/ethical problem in sharing for private use.

Problem is the op-amps are N/A but there are replacement op-amps.  I'd agree to share the diagram if the recipient agrees to research and upon finding the replacement op-amps and required circuit mods, re-share the updated circuit with me.  May require help from a circuit designer.  Possibly help is available at DIY audio.  I regret not bringing the circuit to 2012 CES where a certain well-known designer may have shed light on it.   

Drop me a line if interested.