Does anyone know how to burn WAV. files to DVD?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 7 Dec 2003, 10:49 pm »
There's gotta be a way, isn't there?  My brother bought a DVD burner for his PC, but so far we can't find a way to burn WAV. files (ie 16 bit PCM music) to a DVD, and no one we've asked seems to know, either.

On the upside, it works very nicely to make *back-up* copies of commercial DVDs, but I want to make music discs.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I just bought a new computer:  I don't have a DVD burner yet, but I'm planning to buy one soon.  Especially if I can figure out how to record full quality CD tracks to DVD to make compilations.

jkelly

Clarification -
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2003, 12:18 am »
Are you asking how to make a "Red Book DVD" or copy wav files to a DVD Data Disk?

Jeff

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2003, 12:28 am »
Hmmm...what would the difference be?  What I want is a DVD full of full quality 16 bit PCM music that will play back on any home DVD deck capable of DVD-R/DVD+R playback.

Would it be different setup as a data disc?

Thanks.

jkelly

Audio DVD
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2003, 01:55 am »
To be honest I don't have a lot of experience in this but assuming that the DVD player can't handle mp3 or wma playback from a DVD data disk, I think you basically have to either convert each wav to a mp2 video clip or an AC-3 audio clip that becomes one of many language selections.

Here is one way:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/154530.php

Also you can use WinOnCD 6 to make DVD Music disks which does the above automatically.

http://www.roxio.co.uk/products/winoncd/features.jhtml

I am sure others will have a better way.

Jeff

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2003, 02:31 am »
Rob,

Standard DVD video disks support stereo PCM audio, so you should be able to burn them without converting to another format. I have a DVD+R at work, so I can't try it tonight. I'll give a try in the morning if you like and let you know how it goes.

Mike G.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2003, 06:17 am »
Thanks, Mike.  That'd be great.

The Roxio thing doesn't work, at least not in my experience.  Yes, it can burn WAV.s, but only to CD.  It can burn music DVDs, as it says, but it never once says it can do it as WAV. files- and it can't, at least as far as I can tell.

My biggest reason for wanting a burner was to burn full resolution, 16 bit PCM tracks from my CDs to make full quality compilation music DVDs.  You know, the convenience and playing time of MP3 but with better sound.  

Someone, please tell me it can be done! :?

House de Kris

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2003, 10:41 pm »
I honestly believe this is not possible.  Of course you can write .WAV files to a DVD, but it won't play as a huge CD on a DVD player.  At best, you could use it to playback uncompressed files on your computer.

Just because LPCM is an standard audio format for DVD-V does not necessarily imply it can play these files from a disc.  Heck, most DVD players can play CDs.  But this doesn't mean that the same files burned to DVD media would do as you want.

Some DVD players can play files on a disc that are outside the realm of authored data.  For example, some players will play .MP3 and .JPG files burned to a disc.  Some even play raw .MPG files.  It might be interesting to try .WAV files as you are proposing, but I wouldn't count on all machines, or even a majority of them, playing this disc.

You might want to mux a .WAV file with a single frame mpeg video stream and author this into all the files required to play as a DVD-V.  In this case, the LPCM sample rate is 48kHz, so you'd probably have to mess around with the .WAV files.  Doesn't sound too appealing.

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2003, 01:09 am »
Rob,

The version of Roxio I have for my DVD writer doesn't have any support for this. I do have several of the Classic Records "DAD" DVD's which are 24/96 LPCM recordings and have experieced no trouble playing them on any DVD player supporting 24/96.

I believe House de Kris is correct about the sampling rate. I think it needs to be a multiple of 48kHz. Transcoding a .WAV from 44.1 to 48kHz is easy but I don't know how to author the disk.

Hmm... Just did a little searching and found the Ulead's "Ulead DVD Movie Factory" supports authoring with LPCM. $49.95 - http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm.

Good luck!

Mike G.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 10 Dec 2003, 03:35 am »
Thanks, HdK & MG.  My research into the subject has led me to the same conclusion.  Too bad, too.  Woulda rocked to have discs burned at full res but giving the long playing time of MP3.

Of course, with a PC attached to your stereo or HT rig, this would be pretty simple.

You might be able to "trick" it into playing the PCM track as a slide show, but as HdK said, it'd be a mess to have to resample to a diff sampling rate.

I'll keep investigating, but it doesn't look all that promising.