One more Maggie question...music....

chriscrellin1

One more Maggie question...music....
« on: 25 Feb 2009, 05:30 pm »
Is everybody just enjoying classical and jazz through these?  I like to listen to Metallica, some rap/hip-hop, metal, jazz, classical, 80's new wave, rock, oldies....Just about EVERYTHING....
Will everything sound good on the MMG's?  I am reading hundreds of reviews, and everybody mentions live performances, orchestral stuff and jazz.....but little else....

Thanks

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Re: One more Maggie question...music....
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2009, 08:38 pm »
If everything sounds good to you on them, then who gives a damn what anybody else says  8)

chriscrellin1

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2009, 09:09 pm »
That is the problem, I don't own them yet!  But, I am going to listen to a pair this weekend at an audio shop.  I am going to burn some tracks to a cd and bring that so I can hear what my music sounds like...

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2009, 11:18 pm »
That is the problem, I don't own them yet!  But, I am going to listen to a pair this weekend at an audio shop.  I am going to burn some tracks to a cd and bring that so I can hear what my music sounds like...

:oops: Sorry Chris... I was typing instead of thinking
Excellent idea bringing your own music.  If you really like them then do not be afraid to ask to take them home to listen in your room before you buy.

Good luck,

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2009, 11:47 pm »
NIN, Tool, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Janes Addiction, Rage Against the Machine, Massive Attack, Audioslave, Red Hot Chili Peppers...............you name it. Rock on!  :rock:

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2009, 03:37 am »
One of the most impressive demos I have on my Maggies is Eminem's "Without Me".  The dynamics on that track will blow your mind. If you want a really cool demo, pick up a disc by The Postal Service called "Give Up".  If you want to rock out, just make sure you get an amp with some current (as mentioned in the other thread). Another great demo on the Maggies is Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah"  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2009, 05:56 am »
My favorite on Maggies was Lyle Lovett. dunno if you like him or not. Lyle uses a lot of acoustic bass and cello. Now the Maggies I owned, modded 2c's were not great speakers (not in the same league as the more modern models) but they could work some freaky magic w/ acoustic bass instruments. As much as I love my Merlin TSM-MMe, I  still miss that.

However, if you are into heavy stuff like Metallic (which I love BTW) I'm not so sure. The big problem w/ Maggies is they suffer from dynamic compression. Maybe hi passed w/ a really good sub, you'd be ok. (in other words....they ain't gonna kick you in the 'nads on their own)

Rashiki

« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2009, 06:17 am »
I don't really listen to much jazz, and I only rarely play classical. Most of the music I play on my Maggies is alternative rock, indie rock, techno, electronica, industrial, eighties, and retro-eighties. I do have my Maggies paired with subwoofers, though, and I think that's how they sound best. So, my advice is to make sure you audition with and without a sub so you know what you're getting.

-Rob

chriscrellin1

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2009, 02:46 pm »
Sounds good guys!  I am going this weekend to test them out!  I am adding Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah", Warren Zevon "Werewolves in London" and RHCP as well....Thanks for the suggestions!!! 

SOOOOOO glad to hear that the Maggies can handle this music too....

Rob S.

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:41 pm »
Not everything sounds great on Maggies.  Some music sounds better than others.  The reviews you've been reading show the "better" music to be Jazz, classical, vocal, etc.   I agree.  Stuff like classic rock, metal, rap, etc. that has super heavy bass will fall short compared to dynamic speakers.  when you audition a pair of maggies you may still find it's suitable to you.  Better amps help them immensely.

I've enjoyed my maggies for about 15 years, and recently gone to a custom Selah RC5G floorstander (box speaker).  I've owned the MG-1, MMG, MG .6, MG IIIa.  Had them setup with entry level equipment w/ sub and was happy for a long time, but Zep, Rush, metallica, fell short.  Found that the small maggies are easier to setup, integrate w/ sub, and can be had on the "used" market for little $$$.

I also found that aftermarket stands and crossover mods to be money well spent.  If you want to talk some about it,  shoot me your number in a PM, and I'd love to talk maggies and audio.

trout2

One song that's always sounded real to me w/Maggies
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2010, 02:19 pm »
- Darkness On The Edge Of Town - in fact, the whole album sounds very close to what the E-Street Band sounds like live. Other bands that to me sound great on Maggies are: Wilco, Jayhawks, Little Feat-especially Waiting For Columbus, Greatful Dead, Dire Staits, Van Morrison, and Steely Dan.

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm »
So Chris...did you end up with Maggies or did you go in another direction?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2010, 12:07 am »
Maggies are kind of like a magnifying glass - they show up every weak part of the system and every really bad recording as well.
With many of the remastered vinyl releases they just sound tremendous.  Neil Young, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Pink Floyd 30th Anniversary DSOM, Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East and Frank Zappa's Hot Rats are notable standouts.
I'm not interested in rap AT ALL so can't comment on how that sounds.
I've also been finding out that 7.5ips reel to reel tapes can sound even better than the best vinyl.  It's a shame that we threw that technology away.
I've heard Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen a good hundred of times on vinyl and CD but last week I heard it on R2R and there's a lot of stuff on there I'd never heard before. 
For what it's worth, Frank Zappa's Apostrophe is the title I use to audition components with.  I know every last bit of it and the album has a little bit of everything on it.  If something isn't quite right Apostrophe will show it up.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2010, 11:31 pm »
Try Talking Heads Stop Making Sense for a great live album with the 1.7s.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:55 am »
I'll second the Lyle Lovett recommendation, (I love it, ha!) but what was really knocking my socks off tonight was Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls".  One of the few albums I can listen to from beginning to end.  Yes it's Jazz, but it has impact galore, deep, deep bass (my very fast subs for that), expansive soundstage, and a soulfulness that has you smiling ear to ear.

That being said, I also second the comment that if there is a failing on the Maggies, especially the MMG's, it's pure dynamics.  And as noted previously, big amps and fast subs help immensely.  I play lots of Rock and Alt on my MMG's, had Rush on last night, but not for the impact.  If you're a hardcore metal head, I'd steer you elsewhere.  But since you're listening anyway, please let us know what you think after the audition. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:02 am »
Take them home for a true demo before purchase if at all possible. Especially if you have any reservations at all.

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2010, 02:16 pm »
Maggies are kind of like a magnifying glass - they show up every weak part of the system and every really bad recording as well.
With many of the remastered vinyl releases they just sound tremendous.  Neil Young, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors, Pink Floyd 30th Anniversary DSOM, Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East and Frank Zappa's Hot Rats are notable standouts.
I'm not interested in rap AT ALL so can't comment on how that sounds.
I've also been finding out that 7.5ips reel to reel tapes can sound even better than the best vinyl.  It's a shame that we threw that technology away.
I've heard Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs & Englishmen a good hundred of times on vinyl and CD but last week I heard it on R2R and there's a lot of stuff on there I'd never heard before. 
For what it's worth, Frank Zappa's Apostrophe is the title I use to audition components with.   I know every last bit of it and the album has a little bit of everything on it.  If something isn't quite right Apostrophe will show it up.

You're a good man.  I also use Zoot Allures, Black Napkins and The Torture Never Stops.  Who says you can't hear bass notes in stereo?
That dark dank fog oozing through the chamber certainly moves around the room.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2010, 11:07 pm »
To say nothing of the flies all green an' buzzin'.
I think I'll give Zoot Allures a spin on the turntable while I'm cleaning up this old tuner that just showed up today.