Do I Attribute This to Dedicated Circuits??

ajzepp

Do I Attribute This to Dedicated Circuits??
« on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:59 pm »
A month or two ago, I had a pair of 20a circuits installed in my listening room. The run was a very short distance from the breaker box and didn't take long at all. I wasn't able to go with some of the audiophile grade materials that a few of you were kind enough to teach me about, but the guy did use a Pass and Seymour receptacle and he knew to wire it up as had been suggested on this forum.

Whereas before I could hear a slight humming when I put my ear up to my speakers, it's now DEAD silent. I mean, there is absolutely no hint of noise or static whatsoever. You would have absolutely no idea that my gear was on ready to play. Thing is, aside from adding some Mye stands to my Maggies, I haven't made any other changes since the outlets were installed. Am I missing something, or is this just a really great way to spend $200?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Do I Attribute This to Dedicated Circuits??
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:16 pm »
I basically did the same thing AJ except I only ran a single 20A line from a breaker that had been powering the upstairs attic. I used basic 12 gauge Romex and at the time I used a PS Audio PowerPort which in time I found to be too bright so I replaced it with a 20A gold plated Furutech which for me was a night/day change. Being my house is close to 100 years old with 50 year old wiring, I had to reestablish my own ground for this line (basically for my BPT balanced power conditioner to function properly). The dedicated circuit really helped isolate a lot of issues I had always experienced, like a flicking TV everytime the refrigerator, washer, heater blower, water pump,, would kick on. Heck I was even hearing an audible hestition when just turning on a light switch. All that went away with the dedicated circuit for me so it was a godsend for me to have done. AJ, if you expereinced improvements of your own, how can it not be a well spent effort? Good for you! :thumb: But as with anything in audio, different circumstances bring different results and not everyone experiences the same level of improvement. Some folks expereience nothing. So feel fortunate that you did AJ, I sure as hell do. :D

Cheers,
Robin

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2009, 10:11 pm »
Thanks, Robin...I guess I always assumed that SOME audible humming when you put your ear up to the speaker was normal, so I never thought twice about it!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2009, 10:24 pm »
Noise on the line often comes from other devices, not the power company as some assume.  Glad it worked out for you!

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2009, 10:26 pm »
Noise on the line often comes from other devices, not the power company as some assume.  Glad it worked out for you!

So are you saying I SHOULDN'T attribute this lack of noise to the circuts?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2009, 10:37 pm »
I would attribute it to two things:
1) Connecting all the audio equipment to a common neutral power wire and to a common safety ground wire.
2) Isolating all other power devices back to the main panel.