4bsst/2 reviews

werd

Re: 4bsst/2 reviews
« Reply #20 on: 5 Jul 2009, 04:54 pm »
Hello folks

This was taken from above

I have no complaint about the BP26 preamp and poweramp combo's frequency extension, which was fully extended on the both ends. The slight highlight at the upper mid I experienced on the BP26 preamp before was there. I believe the 4BSST2 also had a bit of its own as this characteristic was also heard when it was partnered with my Pass Labs X2.5. With my Egglestonsworks' silk dome tweeter, this highlight gave a heightened awareness of details. But the flip side of the coin was that, I believe, if one has an unruly tweeter, the Bryston would expose it for what it was too.

The part about the unruly tweeter is an indicator that this reviewer hasnt taken cabling seriousily with Bryston. Bryston imo is cabling dependent (much like all other transistor gear). Cable mismatching can result in unruly tweeters. This can make for speaker matching more difficult as many people wont address their expensive cabling as a prob, this includes mains leads.

Sorry i would like to post more about this but i am finding this site very buggy. Cant message,quote or even type since they moved this site. Very difficult site to post on now due to these bugs

I

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2009, 05:25 pm »
Hi werd,

Yes there seems to be a lot of 'jitter' on the site now.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:23 pm »
Hi James

Just read the review on the 4B sst that's posted on the home page of the Bryston site.Must say that really does seem promising considering the 4 don't have that new transformer my 7's have. aa

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2009, 03:27 am »

vegasdave

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2009, 01:59 am »
bump

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:29 am »
Review Of Bryston 4B SST2 C-SERIES

by Kevin Lichterman
Secrets of Home Theater
July 2009

COMMING SOON!
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2009, 10:26 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:30 am »
SEE ABOVE:

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2009, 10:25 am by James Tanner »

vegasdave

« Reply #27 on: 8 Aug 2009, 01:55 am »
Nice. Which magazine is this from?

drummermitchell

« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2009, 02:29 am »
secrets I believe.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #29 on: 8 Aug 2009, 02:34 am »
Nice. Which magazine is this from?

Secrets of Home Theater

james

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 8 Aug 2009, 03:36 am »
James, I don't see it on there. Has it been published yet?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 8 Aug 2009, 10:21 am »
James, I don't see it on there. Has it been published yet?

Next week.

james

Mag

« Reply #32 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:24 am »
A review for the 3B SST 2, first impressions.

The unit finally arrived and after unwinding from work, spent the next 2 1/2 hours setting everything up in my multi-channel configuration.

Originally I was just going to swap out my sst with the 2. Then I said the heck with it just get everything up and running. So this is more a subjective than objective evaluation. Since I changed out amps and speaker arrangement.

After only two rock cd's, I'm confident in how the sst 2 is effecting the sound. Overall I would say there is much more vibe to the music, particularly in the bass spectrum let's say 20 to 30% improvement. This is at about 95 decibels. The plucking of bass guitar being more dicernible.

I didn't detect a change in vocal characteristics from other Bryston amps. The shrillness associated with cd from a set of speakers was gone. This changed the perception of loudness for me slightly and I can up the volume 2 or 3 notches before being too loud.

Yep, this amp takes the sound to a higher level of enjoyment! :D

This is not a change that may take two weeks to adjust to, is totally the Bryston sound, with vibe!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:07 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Customer Feedback
SUBJECT - Bryston 4B SST-2 Amplifier

August 13th 2009

Hi James,

Letter from my customer who just purchased the 4B SST-2

Michael
Whitby Audio

Subject: Revelations and other amazing stuff

Michael:

"Boy I hate it when you are right! (I can hear you saying - "But, Al I'm pretty well always right!)" but when I switched on the 4BSST-2 yesterday afternoon I was not prepared for the huge improvement (yet again) in sound quality that 100 hours or so of break-in time had delivered.

I continue to be amazed with this amp. Suddenly everything is even more coherent and you are reaching down further into the musical information - even on FM. This Bryston actually sounds terrific with my old McIntosh MR77 (the one that you guys repaired for me a couple of years ago). I have never heard the Mc tuner sound so good. I have moved the Mac into the main system it sounds so good. The difference with CD on the Ikemi and LP's on the P9 is breathtaking.

What a paradigm breaking product this is. I had an opportunity at the weekend to plug it into a friend's system where he was running a lovely ******** power amp. We both preferred the sound of the 4BSST-2 by a wide margin and the performance on his Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers was absolutely ethereal!

I had always loved the sound of the old 3BSST -- but this is just another league altogether.

Thanks again for recommending this amp to me!"

Mag

« Reply #34 on: 16 Aug 2009, 04:33 am »
A review for the 3B SST 2, first impressions.

The unit finally arrived and after unwinding from work, spent the next 2 1/2 hours setting everything up in my multi-channel configuration.

Originally I was just going to swap out my sst with the 2. Then I said the heck with it just get everything up and running. So this is more a subjective than objective evaluation. Since I changed out amps and speaker arrangement.

After only two rock cd's, I'm confident in how the sst 2 is effecting the sound. Overall I would say there is much more vibe to the music, particularly in the bass spectrum let's say 20 to 30% improvement. This is at about 95 decibels. The plucking of bass guitar being more dicernible.

I didn't detect a change in vocal characteristics from other Bryston amps. The shrillness associated with cd from a set of speakers was gone. This changed the perception of loudness for me slightly and I can up the volume 2 or 3 notches before being too loud.

Yep, this amp takes the sound to a higher level of enjoyment! :D

This is not a change that may take two weeks to adjust to, is totally the Bryston sound, with vibe!

I coulldn't be happier with my new 3B SST 2 in multi-channel stereo mode. But I also feel obligated to post that using my Yamaha RX-V1700 as a pre-amp. In 2-channel stereo Pure Direct mode, I find the sound a tad bassy.  My preference then is SST in 2-channel with this av/receiver.

IMO a matching of a pre-amp should be considered when purchasing the SST 2.

Thanks.
Mag

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 17 Aug 2009, 06:37 pm »
Hi All,

Another review where the reviewer purchases the sample.

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/673-bryston-4b-sst2-c-series.html

james

Mag

« Reply #36 on: 18 Aug 2009, 01:28 pm »
Listening to Metemorphesis by Jean Michel Jarre last night, highlighted the incredible resolution of the 3B SST/2 . Listening in multi-channel stereo with Yamaha enhancer, which is similar to Pure Direct 2 channel in resolution for multi-channel. As I mention before, to my ears, my Yamaha can't seemed to resolve the extra bass resolution in Pure Direct of this amp without sounding overly bassy or having too much bass.

Anyway there are a few tracks on Metemorphesus that have this ghostly whisper layered behind the vocals. I have always liked this cd, analog synthesized music, this is the first time however that I could actually discern the ghostly whispers. Coupled with the BCD-1 the music doesn't even hint at coming from a source, it's just there, in the highest resolution I've heard to date.

More to come as I sample multi-channel sacd with the addition of the 3B SST/2.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 14 Oct 2009, 11:32 am »

vegasdave

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:09 pm »
Very cool. Short but sweet.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 29 Nov 2009, 02:30 pm »
SoundStage! Network Exceptional Value Award -- Bryston

"Hi James,

This email is to inform you of some exciting news!

At CES 2010 we will be presenting Bryston with one of our annual awards:

Exceptional Value: Bryston 4B SST-2 Stereo Amplifier

This recognizes the very best-value product as reviewed on SoundStage! for the 2009 calendar year.

We need to set a time to present this. If it is acceptable to you, we'd like to do this on Wednesday, January 6. We'll only need about 20 minutes to snap some photos for our CES coverage. Is there a time that will work for you?"

Jeffrey W. Fritz
Editor-in-Chief
The SoundStage! Network
www.soundstagenetwork.com