Academy Awards

jimdgoulding

Academy Awards
« on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:38 am »
Damn.  Don't know about anyone else but this is heads and shoulders above any Academy Awards I've ever seen!  5 stars for the sets and more.  The commercials even trump the Superbowl. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Academy Awards
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:06 am »
When it started with Hugh Jackman's musical number I thought it might make for a long night, but it didn't at all.  I thought it was exceptionally well-produced for a change.  It flowed, made sense, was never flat, and the special awards and indirect items were kept quite tidy, thank you.  The actor/actress awards, with five former winner/presenters each, worked out very nicely, although some were clearly caught reading their teleprompters.  Oh, and I never really knew that Alicia Keys was so hot!!  :drool:

chrisby

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2009, 06:31 am »
  Oh, and I never really knew that Alicia Keys was so hot!!  :drool:

all I can say to that is  where TF you been dude?

hell, even Dana Owens has never looked or sounded so good

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2009, 01:51 pm »
In the interview before the awards, Hugh said the awards were going to focus on the "show" rather than the "biz". He did put on a few good numbers. All in all, a nice departure from the usual comedian hosting routine.

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:17 pm »
Way better show than the others...a sentiment echo'ed by my wife (a true Academy Awards junky) :thumb:

And, it's not just because she'd like to straddle Hugh Jackman :icon_lol:

John

spudco

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:22 pm »
I generally don't do network TV, but I was truely impressed!

rydenfan

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:44 pm »
I thought outside of Hugh the flow of the show was excellent. I really enjoyed having the five past winners speak about each nominee. It certainly portrayed that it is not only about winning but also a big honor to be nominated. I also thought most of the acceptance speeches were sincere and heart-felt while not dragging on too long. It is was also nice to see each person given their time to speak as winning an Oscar is a big deal and it is really rude when the music starts playing over their talking (unless they are just babbling about every person they have ever met in the business  :wink: ). Kudos to the director for making those calls. Also between the topics of poverty and same sex marrage there were some large social issued discussed. A great year for the Oscars  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:19 pm »
If I may chime back in here.  What gassed me was the production and my God did things look splendid in hi def!  The lighting, the what seemed like dozens of cameras and the various depths of the shots, the colors, the staging and all the rehearsal that must have gone in to this!  I thought Hugh Jackman earned every cent they paid him.  You could just tell that the academy was really puttin the dog on for this one!  What, did they require the sponsors to come up with those new commercials?  Extremely impressive it was to me.  I'm seein The Reader, Slumdog and Frozen River post op so in that regard it was successful, too.  The message of hope came across and I think it was imbedded in the production.  This was not your same ole shite.

maxwalrath

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:28 pm »
I'm seein The Reader, Slumdog and Frozen River post op so in that regard it was successful, too. 

Only saw Frozen River, but I'd highly recommend it.  I'm glad that actress was nominated...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:35 pm »
She won the Independant Films "Oscar".  I believe she was the waitress in the Tommy Lee Jones directed "The Burial of, etc."

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:47 pm »
I think the Academy Awards committee totally dropped the trophy this year by ignoring Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. :roll: Not only did they turn their backs on public opinion but the movie was also ignored in the final credits of upcoming movies for next years Oscar considerations. There's something very wrong here but I haven't a clue as to what could be going on behind the scenes. As good as Slumdog Millionaire was, I personally don't feel it deserved the runaway award recognition that it received. :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2009, 06:20 am by satfrat »

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:54 pm »
I think the Academy Awards committee totally dropped the trophy this year by ignoring Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. :roll: Not only did they turn their backs on public opinion but the movie was also ignored in the final credits of upcoming movies for next years Oscar considerations. There's something very wrong here but I haven't a clue as to what could be going on behind the scenes. As good as Slumyard Dog was, I personally don't feel it deserved the runaway award recognition that it received. :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

Slumyard Dog?  Ouch.   I agree about the miss on Gran Torino (great flick)....but I think the finale was a montage of yet-to-be-released movies, not movies too late to make this years awards.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:55 pm »
I think the Academy Awards committee totally dropped the trophy this year by ignoring Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. :roll: Not only did they turn their backs on public opinion but the movie was also ignored in the final credits of upcoming movies for next years Oscar considerations. There's something very wrong here but I haven't a clue as to what could be going on behind the scenes. As good as Slumyard Dog was, I personally don't feel it deserved the runaway award recognition that it received. :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

Was it eligible for the the 2008 awards?

Since it had a limited release on Dec 12th and a full release on Jan 9th I am not sure what that means from an awards perspective.

I believe all of the movies in that ending montage hadn't yet been released...if that is correct, I would not expect Gran Torino to be part of it since it is already out there.

George

maxwalrath

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2009, 06:00 pm »

I think the finale was a montage of yet-to-be-released movies, not movies too late to make this years awards.

I believe all of the movies in that ending montage hadn't yet been released...if that is correct, I would not expect Gran Torino to be part of it since it is already out there.

George

Correct.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:11 pm »
Maybe Clint will get a shot next year.  Another thing about this year's show that tweaked my curiosity was the nominated foriegn films and even some doc's.  These are recognized every year but there was just sumthin about this year's show.  To me, this year's production did what it was supposed to do better than ever which I take to be entertain, honor, and promote.  Gotta see The Wrestler, too. 

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:27 pm »
Maybe Clint will get a shot next year.  Another thing about this year's show that tweaked my curiosity was the nominated foriegn films and even some doc's.  These are recognized every year but there was just sumthin about this year's show.  To me, this year's production did what it was supposed to do better than ever which I take to be entertain, honor, and promote.  Gotta see The Wrestler, too. 

Defintely see The Wrestler Jim,,,, Mickey Roarke was stellar and Marisa Tomei,,,,, well she has never looked better! :drool:

As for Gran Torino, I'll be surprised if Clint Eastwood gets his well deserved recognition next year either but we'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers,
Robin

Mike B.

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:36 pm »
I really liked the five previous winners presenting. I was surprised that Anthony Hopkins blew his part? Sad to see Jerry Lewis in such poor health.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:41 pm »
I really liked the five previous winners presenting. I was surprised that Anthony Hopkins blew his part? Sad to see Jerry Lewis in such poor health.

Not as bad as Alan Arkin did.."Seymour Philip Hoffman"?  :)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:43 pm »

That was a nice touch done by bring out 5 previous winners for both the men and the women. Gotta say Sofia Loren still looks stunning for being 74! :o I couldn't believe her age til I looked it up,, incredible. I too felt bad for Jerry, I already knew about his health problems and was surprised by the confident way he walked out onto the stage but when he gave his speech, his health issues became all too apparent.

Cheers,
Robin

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2009, 07:45 pm »

As for Gran Torino, I'll be surprised if Clint Eastwood gets his well deserved recognition next year either but we'll just have to wait and see...................................

Cheers,
Robin

I thought that because Gran Torino "WAS" released in 2008, so it shouldn't be in 2009 in any way.  Otherwise, why would it have been "limit"-released in 2008 (to rush it in to qualify for the cycle)?  From what I understand (could be wrong), Gran Torino will not be eligible in 2009????  :duh: