Let's Not Give Credit Where Credit Isn't Due.

Kevin Haskins

Re: Let's Not Give Credit Where Credit Isn't Due.
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:00 pm »
Rick, what are you doing here?

Okay Kevin, I'll bit on this one...

Just think of how an MTM can sound on the horizontal axis vs. placed on the vertical.

Spin it around on the tweeter axis and it measures the same regardless of how it is arranged. But, put it next to a wall and measure it from a distance with it vertical and with it horizontal and the measurements might look a bit different.

We may have ears on the left and on the right of our heads but the ceiling and floor reflections can be pretty significant in what we hear. Try stipping the carpet off your floor and see how it sounds.

Even if I gave more weight to the left and right off axis responses, I'd still be concerned with the vertical.

I also especially hate it when you stand up and just that difference in height creates a phase misalignment of the drivers and causes a huge dip.

BTW, Kevin, you are always welcome.  :thumb:

Yea... I'd not say that vertical is not a consideration, just that I don't rank it the same as horizontal.    That is my only point.    I'm not trying to be difficult.    :thumb:

Danny Richie

Re: Let's Not Give Credit Where Credit Isn't Due.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:09 pm »
Yea... I'd not say that vertical is not a consideration, just that I don't rank it the same as horizontal.

Well, you and I may know that it is an important consideration, but you'd be surprised how many designers never even look at what's going on there.