“The best loudspeakers on earth. Period.” Phoenix-area audiofiles...

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
...come hear the YG Acoustics Anat Reference II Studios Tuesday nite the 24th at the Arizona Audio Video Club's regular monthly meeting.  It's happening at the Phoenix Airport Marriott, 1101 N 44th St. (just n. of Loop 202) starting at 7PM.  Guests are welcome. 

The speakers will be driven with Spectron Musician III Mk. 2 monoamps, driven by EMM Labs and Audio Research frontend equipment.

We'll have our usual assortment of refreshments, etc., so come at least for a chocolate-chip cooky.   :)
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2009, 05:51 am by jeffreybehr »

2bigears

:D 35000.00 bucks,they should sound good :D

rydenfan

I am sure it will be a great night and an amazing opportunity hear that caliber of speaker. Interesting to see the Spectrons driving a $350,000 speaker  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Stereophile gave the YG loudspeakers a very positive review in the March issue.

The reviewer (Wes Phillips) mentioned that they sounded better with solid state (Parasound JC-1's) than tubes (VTL MB-450 II's), so using the Spectron amps might make sense.  According to the measurements section, the mid-treble drops to almost 2 ohms and is between that 4 ohms most of the time.

Wind Chaser

You just can't help but think that this notion of... "The best loudspeakers on earth. Period." is obligatory... at least until someone else comes along with a $700,000 pair of speakers. :roll:

TomW16

I know that the Anat Reference speakers can't be the best speakers on earth because I own the best speakers on earth  8).

Cheers,
Tom

mgalusha

Actually they are more like $112K, which is still frighteningly expensive but there is some pretty serious engineering and build quality in them. About 6 months ago the Colorado Audio Society held a meeting at YG Acoustics and Mr. YG spent quite a bit of time explaining his designs and manufacturing processes. We also spent some time listening to them in comparison to latest big Wilson's. For my tastes the YG's were much better and less costly though at that price point I will never even contemplate owning them. Best on earth, don't know but IMO they were very good. It will be interesting to see what the AZ folks have to say.

Adam Goldfine

These are actually the Studio configuration so the total cost is $70,000/pair. They are the same main module and studio sub reviewed in Stereophile, they just don't have the professional sub. They are said to sound identical, the difference being the pro configuration is capable of higher SPLs in large rooms. The Spectron amps can deliver 300 watts into .1 ohms so they will be able to drive these speakers with no problem. We will also be using the remote sense speaker cables made by JPS Labs specifically for the Spectrons, which extend the feed back loop out to the speaker end of the cable.

anubisgrau

I've heard them at a special demo organized by a local YG dealer here. A top Hyatt room, Krell Evo electronica (everything), top Kimber cables, SME 30 deck.

I'm a horn guy but this sounded bloody bloody good. Sheer realism, neutrality and rather shocking (!) dynamics.

Expensive though.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
The best loudspeakers on earth are the ones that you can get to couple into your room with full bass response. Air and holographic sound. You would be surprised how many super expensive speakers sound no better than midpriced when set up properly in your music room.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
More like some of the most expensive speakers on earth... Wait, PMC's don't come on the cheap either.  I suppose you get what you pay for...  Like the above poster said, one relatively cheap speaker can work amazingly well in a given room, where another costing 5x more can sound dreadful.

All said, do the guys at Stereophile ever really have anything bad to say about the speakers they review?

WGH

Anyone got anything to report on the best loudspeakers on earth?

Quiet Earth

Why do the best speakers in the world always have to use the worst amps in the world to sound good? A speaker that can run on a few watts and sound really good would be a better candidate IMO.