.5B preamp compared to a BP20

dannyp

.5B preamp compared to a BP20
« on: 20 Feb 2009, 05:09 am »
I have been debating on a moderate upgrade and would like your advice.
In your opinion, what difference should I expect to hear from changing my pre-amp from a .5B to a BP20?
Has anyone compared the two pre-amps in a A B comparison?

Other gear:
-Bryston 3B-ST
-PSB Stratus Golds.
-Rega Planet CD player.

Thanks,
Dan

danman

Re: .5B preamp compared to a BP20
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2009, 01:53 pm »
You have some really good speakers and a great CD player for the money. Go with the BP20. I have one and it is wonderful. I bought mine through Bryston and it is a 2004 (bought November 2008) model they had that was never used. Ask James if they have others. I would go that route first because it is always a good idea to support the company directly as much as we can as well as being a safe transaction.

Between the 2 models, the BP20 has much less distortion and a really balanced sound. Before buying this I had a YBA signature series that was valued at 3500$ and it (Bryston) was better to my ears. May be that the synergy of the 2 go well together but it had much better bass response and was more dynamic and less dry. I sold it and bought this immediately for a great price and they even built me a new external power supply that comes with it. Use the balanced connections as I do notice a better resolution but my CD player is also balanced so that may have something to do with it.

Cheers

dannyp

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2009, 03:45 pm »
I had no idea you could buy discontinued models!
That sounds good.
I will check with Bryston and see if I can still get one.

Thanks,
Dan

danman

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2009, 06:16 pm »
James informed me that sometimes they have demo models or maybe even extra stock or something of that nature. I cannot assure you that there are more but I guess maybe I was lucky. It was a great way to deal directly with the company and have the money go to them since that is the goal. I just think it makes sense to support our favorite audio company. Of course the second hand market is full of potential good bargains but at least buy any extra parts or cables through them. I did not get my 4B-ST this way but I did buy a silver 19" plate with handles to replace my 17 inch black one and my BP-20. I am very new to Bryston and even with this modest set-up compared to some others here, I can assure you that I have never had better to this point.

Check what they have and maybe you will be lucky.

4B-ST
BP-20
CA 840C
Martin Logan Quests

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2009, 04:35 pm »
I have been debating on a moderate upgrade and would like your advice.
In your opinion, what difference should I expect to hear from changing my pre-amp from a .5B to a BP20?
Has anyone compared the two pre-amps in a A B comparison?

Other gear:
-Bryston 3B-ST
-PSB Stratus Golds.
-Rega Planet CD player.

Thanks,
Dan

Hey Dan, you might wanna consider the newer BP6 if you can afford it...it's similar to the BP26, except the power supply is internal. It is an unbalanced preamp, however. Nevertheless, it's one of the great bargains in audio today! But, don't take it from me, audition one and see for yourself!

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:29 pm »
Hi Dan,

The .5 was and still is a very good pre-amp, although as they are older, not too sure what age would have on the components.
If you are looking at a used BP20, try to get a later model with the better connectors, I believe the earlier models had the same RCA jacks as the .5/.4/11/12 which could become loose over time, my .5 jacks where all replaced under warranty.
The more recent BP20/25’s have the newer jacks, which can be easily identified because they are longer and protrude about ¾”s from the chassis.
When I upgraded to my current BP25P the first thing I noticed was that there was less gain than the .5, so you’ll have to turn the volume up to attain similar levels.
Although the .5 was pretty good to start with the external power supply helps in reducing overall noise, and the internal layout improves the signal to noise ratio so that the subtler nuances of the recorded signal are better perceived.
What this adds up to is a more natural musical presentation, which becomes more obvious as you improve upon the rest of your audio chain.
This may not apply, but the most obvious improvement I found was with  the phono section of the BP25P over the .5.
Also if you were to go for a BP25 over the BP20 you’d also benefit from remote control and a headphone out, or bite the bullet and go straight to home with a new BP26 and never worry about the “what if”.
Or as vegasdave recommended, the BP6, for a more rational budget, but still excellent pre-amp.

Robert

dannyp

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2009, 07:27 pm »
 :duh:
See comment below.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2009, 09:50 pm by dannyp »

dannyp

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2009, 09:47 pm »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I decided to purchase a used BP20 in mint condition.
It was a considerable upgrade in going from the 0.5B to the BP20.
I'm very impressed.  :D

b5pt9

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2009, 09:56 pm »
Anyone got an opinion on where the SP1.7 in 2ch bypass mode would fit into the 0.5B, BP6, BP20, BP25, BP26 chain?  Roughly equivalent to BP6 in terms of 2ch sound quality?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2009, 10:42 am »
hi, b5pt9!

the 1.7's manual says that the bypass mode is equivalent to the bp 25 preamp (personally i have not auditioned a 1.7).
as an owner of a SP2 i can say that the bypass mode- which is equivalent to the 26- is indeed very good.

but the bp 26 preamp itself sounds better!!!

al.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2009, 12:03 pm by alexone »